In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Sign in to follow this  
318z28

Spark plug recommendation for boosted setup

I've got a 2015 sierra slt 4x4 with a P1X procharger setup on it and I'm currently running NGK 6510 iridium spark plugs. I'm constantly having issues out of the spark plugs when I build boost it starts missing, the boost is blowing the spark off the plugs a little causing it to miss on the top end because it isnt grounding out properly. Just looking for a good copper/nickel plug recommendation around the same heat range that mine are, I'm tired of these plugs and can't seem to find any that will work. Thanks!

You need a good NGK plug like the tr6 but in the new style. Here is what I have. 

NGK 6510 LTR7IX-11.

Edited by 1SLOW1500

Yea man those are the exact same ones I have and I can't stand them. What do you have your gaps set at and how much boost?

6 minutes ago, 318z28 said:

Yea man those are the exact same ones I have and I can't stand them. What do you have your gaps set at and how much boost?

I can't remember but I do remember re gaping them lower. But I re gap all my plugs no matter what. I have gone threw 3 sets of plug wires. Turbo guy issues. First set was cheap junk the the next 2 sets are good ACdelco Race. Cheap on ebay. Only broke because I pulled them by the wire. This is why I have brand new extras. I also load the shit out of them with dielectric grease. and also titianum(cheap) plug boots. We run those even on NA cars. Way to much heat there. 

I've got the gap set at 30 thousandths right now which I need to gap them down a little more I think but I've got stock wires on it and they're all good. Only running 8psi but I'll bump it up to 12 here soon 

Interesting. I would close up the gap a hair. But pull all the plugs and check them. Take photo. What is your AFR? Trucks run way to rich stock. Header? If so what color? 

This head is off a supercharged 560rwhp 2014 Silverado. That's hotter then normal as all my turbo kit never was more than gold. With egt showing 800 idle 1200 max highway. 

My wide band is pre set for 14.7 AFR for gasoline but pump gas and my tune is 14.108. So gage is saying 14.8-15.1 at idle. So it's just a hair rich. 

15399116648458155545651283841598.jpg

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Peter Bittner
      https://www.procharger.com/truck-superchargers/general-motors/gm-trucksuv/2020-2019-53-62

Anyone see this? I emailed their sales and was told 6-8 weeks for release.  Very interested in seeing what's included and what they're doing for ECU tuning.
    • By DenaliX14
      Okay, after 11 months of agonizing mishaps, set backs and over all triumph, I figured it was time to immortalize my truck in a new post. 

Please welcome my 2014 GMC Sierra 1500 7.0 (427) Turbo Build!

Block:
      Texas Speed and Performance Darton sleeved boost ready block;
      7.0L (427). 
      TSP Forged wet sump crankshaft 4.0" stroke
      6.125 Boost specific billet I-Beam Rods
      CP 4.125 -12cc Dish Pistons w/upgraded wrist pins.
      Clevite main bearings
      Clevite rod bearings
      ARP Main stud kit

Cylinder Heads/ Intake
      Precision Race Components ported Cylinder Heads w/ valve job
      PAC spring/ Valve Kit. 
      Comp Cams rocker arms/trunion 
      Texas Speed & Performance SV Camshaft +30% fuel lobe
      TSP AFM delete kit
      Lingenfelter ported 95mm throttle body
      Ported L86 intake manifold. 
      All ARP bolts or studs. 

Fuel:
      GM ZR1 high volume fuel injectors 
      GM ZR1 fuel pump (high side)
      Armageddon 465 LPH in tank fuel pump (low side)
      Snow Performance Stage 3 Meth Kit with controller and braided lines. 

Turbo:
      Borg Warner S480 T6 Turbo 1.32 AR billet 110/96mm.  
      Turbo smart 50mm BOV
      Turbo Smart 60mm waste gate
      Pro Boost controller 
      fully titanium wrapped exhaust

Cooling/Oil separators 
      Mishimoto fully aluminum Radiator 
      Mishimoto R-Line Intercooler 31x 12x 4”
      Mishimoto HD Trans Cooler
      2X Mishimoto Black Aluminum catch cans. 
      Mishimoto 180 degree thermostat. 

Transmission/driveline:
      Circle D pro 3 torque converter 2700 stall. 
      Custom 5" 6061 aluminum driveshaft rated for 1,200hp 7,300trq

MORE to come. I need to get the final tune with the new block. Still runs very well on the old 6.2 tune however, going up to 7.0 adds a layer of goofy on vacuum or under boost.. 

Next steps Get the PATC Stage 4 transmission kit stuffed into my 6L80E and retune to 900+ whp! Hoping to have that underway around March!

Let me know what you all think. Ask any question. I'm open to where I purchased parts, cost of build etc. especially my opinion getting into a build like this. 
    • By DareToSay
      So i know that the 99 body style is similar up through like 08, however i wanna see if the 5.3l is the same throughout, im looking at one that specifies 04-06 and im wondering if theres a huge difference to deter me from purchasing and using it

Im also curious at how to generally create power, my engine compartment is bone stock outside of a k&n air filter, partially cause thats how i bought it and partially because im a beginner and im a little nervous about ruining it as it is my daily, however im coming into some money and am going to purchase a new daily and turn this into more of a project

Thanks for the help in advance
    • By innerchild81
      My dad passed away in march, i am keeping his truck. He bought it new and loved it to death. it is a 2008 1500 ext cab. It has 78,000 original miles, 2 wheel drive. I live in pennsylvania and he stored it every winter so it never saw salt (big deal for up here). He didn't want to go over board with it in fear of ruining it. so all that's down is a superchips program, flowmaster exhaust and k&n cai. I was thinking about taking it a bit further and dropping a supercharger kit from summit, borla exhaust, and lowering kit. I have never really hot rodded a truck, nor do i have the cash flow to go nuts. I was just thinking something he would of liked but not overboard. I was wondering if anyone has done this, and what did they think.
      Thanks for the help
    • By Darksky
      (I searched the forum to no good answer)

My 2015 CCSB 4WD Silverado 1500 L86 6.2L  has about 65,000 miles on the clock. I’m considering replacing the spark plugs and wires during my next maintenance day. It is not missing, but the idle isn’t as smooth as it has been, it might have a tiny pause upon acceleration. I’m pretty conscientious regarding maintenance and have serviced the intake/fuel system regularly, so this seems like a logical progression in scheduled maintenance.  No big engine mods done, intake and a muffler is about all. 

1. Is it appropriate at this mileage and hours/age?
      2. Which products have you used and why.
      3. Costs and potential bargains.
      4. Tips or Tricks to make the process easier or provide a better outcome.

thanks for your input and sharing your experience. If you recommend parts, try and include parts numbers. 
      Thank you, Dark.