07 2500HD Classic 6.0 No start after engine wash""Fixed"" New problem, will not shift out of park.

I purchased a 07 2500hd classic from a old rancher a few months ago. When I picked it up it ran just fine no issues. Under the hood was a little dusty and some unwanted leaves, and some small pieces of brush that must have been kicked up into the engine bay. I decided to wash the engine bay. Disconnected the battery and covered the alt and the fuse box. Sprayed the engine down with degreaser, let it sit for 15 min, then rinsed. Tried to keep the water off the connecters I did not cover as best as I could. I wiped up standing water from the bay, and let the eng dry out for 3 days. I went to start the truck and it would crank but no start. I let the truck sit for the next 2 months as I was away with work. Got back and tried again and got nothing.

I have checked the fuel pressure. Its good. I changed the spark plugs and wires and am getting spark. I changed the coil packs while I was dealing with the spark plugs. I cleaned the maf, put in a new air filter, and fully charged the battery. I even drained the fuel tank and put fresh fuel in, just incase it sitting for a few months messed with the gas. I do not have a code reader, and there are not any warnings flashing on the dash. I checked all the fuses, and swapped out the injector relays. Still only get a crank and no start. I have sprayed some starter fluid in the intake and the truck turns on for a second or two then cuts out. Any help would be appreciated.

If you have fuel pressure, but no start and have spark. And you get start on starter fluid. Sounds like the injectors aren’t firing. Are you getting any codes? If you have a stethoscope. Use it and set it on an injector. See if you hear clicking from it when you crank. If there’s no noise, the injector isn’t firing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you have fuel pressure, but no start and have spark. And you get start on starter fluid. Sounds like the injectors aren’t firing. Are you getting any codes? If you have a stethoscope. Use it and set it on an injector. See if you hear clicking from it when you crank. If there’s no noise, the injector isn’t firing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry For the long delay, So this weekend I check to see if the injectors are firing. As far as I Can tell they are, I can smell fuel when I am trying to crank it and I can hear ticking/clicking coming from the injectors when I put the stethoscope up to it. I pulled the number 2 spark plug again just to make sure I'm still getting spark there was some fuel on it. I guess that means there is fuel getting to the plugs. I did notice the gap on the plug was larger then I remember when I installed them. So I will pulled them all today after work and re-gap them.

On another note I did notice I have a strong smell of fuel on the oil dip stick when I pulled it out. Would that just be blow-by? Due to me cranking it with no luck on turning on?

• 4 weeks later...

Try this: 

1. Make sure you have a fully charged battery, or hook up jumper cables to get a good cranking speed. 
  2. Remove the air filter.
  3. Hold the throttle all the way to the floor, and crank the motor for 10 seconds. 
  4. Wait 20 seconds, 
  5. Hold the throttle all the way to the floor, and crank the motor for 10 seconds.
  6. Wait 20 seconds, 
  7. Hold the throttle all the way to the floor, and crank the motor for 10 seconds.

Edited by starman8tdc

• 2 weeks later...

As I don't want to be that person who figures out what was wrong and never updates the thread. Here is what I found, I talked to the local garage and they insisted that I have a bad fuel problem. I told them that I pumped out all the old fuel that had been sitting in it and put in 5 gal of fresh fuel with some sea foam already. Just to make sure that I was not having bad fuel problem I went ahead and took a sample of fuel from the tank, poured it out on the ground and tried to light it. Got nothing. I then took a sample from the fuel rail and tried to light it and got nothing. The fuel looked funny, felt funny and was not as strong as I'm used to smelling. After buying the correct syphoning tool I took out as much fuel from the tank as I could. I poured in 10 gal of 91 octane, with a half of can of B12, took off the air intake housing and started the engine using some starter fluid. I kept spraying the starter fluid with the engine being turned over by my buddy for about a minute. This was my attempt to flush out any of the remaining bad fuel from the lines. I reconnected the air intake housing and the truck started right up.

Now I'm having another issue, the truck will not shift out of park when it is running. It will shift through the gears when the engine is not running and the key is set to aux. Any ideas of what the issue could be??   

• RanchTruck changed the title to 07 2500HD Classic 6.0 No start after engine wash""Fixed"" New problem, will not shift out of park.

Sorry for the confusion...

- I can move the shifter when the truck is not running and the key is in the "accessory" position.

- When engine is running I can not move the shifter at all. And I am pressing on the break pedal when trying to move the shifter with the engine running.

Update, I got the truck to shift through the gears. Problem now is as I place it in drive, or reverse the truck will not move. I tried all the drive positions on the column and got nothing. I don't even feel that kick/lunge or hear that initial noise when the truck would shift into gear. I'm thinking the shift linkage is the problem now that I have it shifting through the gears. I will keep ya posted.