Can the Dealer Reprogram psi light for lower psi?

7 minutes ago, DaBomb6988 said:

I have aftermarket wheels and tires. I want to run my tire pressures at 55psi. Can the dealer reprogram for that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 2018 and earlier models it should be possible but not likely!  On my 2014, I had the Dealer swap out wheels and tires from another 2014, before purchase, with an agreement that they would adjust the speedometer for the tire size difference.  It took the Dealer almost a month to convince GM to allow the correction and that was for a tire size that was already in their system!  I realize you only want a pressure change, but this should give you an idea of the resistance you may get.  I would just talk to your service department and see what they can do.  Just be prepared to elevate the issue to higher management.

Yup, I had mine do it down to 50 psi

Sent from my BBD100-2 using Tapatalk

Did you have to argue with them? I just called the dealer and they said no. But I didn’t talk to my normal guy either he hooks me up.

Did you have to argue with them? I just called the dealer and they said no. But I didn’t talk to my normal guy either he hooks me up.

Well.... No..... But I had my daughter get it done as she was working there as a service advisor at the time.

Sent from my BBD100-2 using Tapatalk

It can be done via a reprogram of the BCM I think?  Last I recall.  When they do the BCM setup it asks for TPM pressure specs, which are entered via what's on the tire load door tag.  

What pressures are on your door label?  On my 2015 HD, the rears were tagged at 72psi.  I was able to get to 56 or 57psi when the light tripped.  I ran 60psi all 4 corners never had the light come on.   

Edited by newdude

Yes, the dealers have the ability to change the TPMS thresholds.  But, it is difficult if not impossible to find one that will do it due to liability concerns.  I tried and couldn't find one to change it.

I ended up buying a Mongoose Pro interface and a subscription to the GM programming software and did it myself.  Very easy to do.  The TPMS thresholds are in the BCM module.

With the GM software, I have full functionality to program and update all modules in the truck.  Interesting though that GM recently added a restriction for the number of times the modules can be re-programmed using the subscription for a specific VIN. I think this is so GM can determine if performance tunes have been dropped in.  I think the ECM retains something like 20 or 30 of the last programs dropped in it, so you would have to reflash that many times to clear the performance tune.  So, this is GM's way of cracking down I suppose.

Edited by paauto

I know exactly what you mean. I paid $200 extra for the sensors only to have my light on still because I don’t want to run the rear psi so high. My max towing weight is about 5k and that’s not very often.

I don’t remember where I saw it, but someone makes a tire pressure monitor tricker thing.  It’s a small device that stays in glove box or under seat.... and you learn the tire pressure monitor to it and the tire pressure monitor reads it instead of the tire pressure sensors.  No more ligh but you loose actual tire monitoring, so pretend it’s the old days. 

Warning for pressures seem odd to me. I was not towing so I lowed the psi to 55 all the way around then weather temps went colder so psi reduced. Warning at 53 but not 54....then next time I shut truck off warning at 55 and 56?   So when I was back home I filled them up to about 65 before they turned green. Now I have front at 55 and rear at 60 when not towing (70 rear when towing). 

CA3C6FB6-7E66-48D4-BD5C-FF23236C5193.jpeg

56084A0C-9B64-489C-84C3-A1F057547DCB.jpeg

Edited by EXSlider400

Find an independent shop to do it, any shops with modern equipment can do it. A friend owns a shop and did my 2015. We had new tires put on a 2015 truck at work at another independent repair shop and had them reprogram the tpms also. 

• Like 1