Can the Dealer Reprogram psi light for lower psi?

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/23/2018 at 12:48 AM, redwngr said:

Yes they can.

And fwiw, after it's done, your onstar app/mychev/mygmc/whatever will report the newly programmed numbers as 'recommended' settings.

Correct.

Yes dealer can reset the limits, the third dealer I asked finally did it for me.

I went 50psi all around.

I run 60 front and 55-60 rear unloaded

Towing our fifth wheel i run 70 front and 80 rear, @ 24160# gross combined wt. and 2900# on the pin

I was very lucky I chose my SRW 3500HD Denali. The truck was brand new with 39 miles, at an out of state dealer, selling for less than any brand new 2500HD I could find in the region. The 10,800 lb GVWR means I don't have to put up with TPMS (only mandatory for <10,000 lb GVWR vehicles). I didn't know that at the time, which is why I say I was lucky I made that choice. A small number of us on here like it, but the TPMS has been nothing but a pain in the ass for me in the past.

I'v just put on some 285 75r 18 Ridge Grapplers, they showed up with 45 psi in them, and rode nice. Now that I have everything programed and at the right pressures, 58 rear and 54 front, they are stiff at these pressures. I'm aiming at the rear axle nut recall here in a week, and I'm going to really try to get these guys to lower the tire pressure limits for a better ride with no TPMS light on in the dash. Is there a better way to approach the subject that they may be more willing to adjust the limits? State that the tires are able to hold more weight at a lower pressure? If theses guys are unwilling to do it, is a tunner programer the only way to get that dash light to stay off at a reasonable tire pressure?

Any info greatly appreciated.

Edited by gearheadesw

We have an aftermarket scanner at work and I was able to use it to set the TPMS to 50PSI no problem. I would imagine you would have better luck just asking an independent shop to program it. 

• Like 1