2018 GMC Sierra, was it a good deal?

Picked up my 2018 in early September. 1500 LT Crew Cab. Just did the calcs and out the door was right at 21% discount. Small Dealership in a small town in the Florida panhandle (Live Oak). I drove over from Tallahassee , about 90 miles west. Not really a large metro area in this part of Florida so I'm pleased with what I got.

The dealer spiff for selling financing kicks in after three months. That's why they want you to wait. Take the money and refinance on the way home.

Exactly. THEY need the 90 days for the spiff. They can’t prevent you from refinancing right away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What states are you guys in with these deals?  Boston area is tighter with the deals it seems as I'm lucky seeing 19% - 20% off MSRP, more commonly 15% off.  Although I'm not using the financing rebate, so that's a couple percent there I guess.  I've been looking for an 18 for a few months now and dealers around here just don't seem to care if you walk away. 

I saw the same thing in MA when buying my 2017 last summer. Managed 18% off sticker, but also got too dollar for my trade (08 Tacoma)
And you re right. They don’t really care if you walk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, outrag1 said:

What you said makes perfect sense.  In my area however, I'm not seeing those couple dealers with the really aggressive pricing, they are all similar.  For example, my local dealer I've been communicating with for a couple months contacted me today about another discount and we can start breaking the 20% barrier.  After an hour or so emailing, I asked him to give me manufacturing date and mileage on this particular unit because it's been on their lot for like 8 months...and he tells me when he finally found the vehicle it had sold sticker on it.  People in this area don't care about the 25% to 30% discount...these 18's are on a fire sale regardless and they will not last.

What kind of truck/setup are you looking for? Is it worth a road trip or plane ticket to you?

5 minutes ago, Yondu said:

What kind of truck/setup are you looking for? Is it worth a road trip or plane ticket to you?

I've considered the road trip to Laura, but probably not practical for my personal situation.  I'm just looking for an LT or LT Z71, leather, Nav, All Star, 18" wheels, etc...As a prior post has mentioned, I can possibly get 21% (no finance rebate included) and a solid trade and it will be what it is for the area.  As it is, the inventory within a couple hundred miles, is diminishing for what I'm looking for.  They will sell.  Tomorrow I'm supposed to look at an 18 LT Z71 Black that arrived on a different dealers lot two weeks ago, so pretty damn new.  Manufacturing date of August.  I'll update if things go forward!

14 hours ago, outrag1 said:

What states are you guys in with these deals?  Boston area is tighter with the deals it seems as I'm lucky seeing 19% - 20% off MSRP, more commonly 15% off.  Although I'm not using the financing rebate, so that's a couple percent there I guess.  I've been looking for an 18 for a few months now and dealers around here just don't seem to care if you walk away. 

We are in Nevada. I bought my truck in Las Vegas.

Bought mine in late August...Z71 SLT Premium package. $38.8k from a dealer in Alabama - sticker was $54k. Local dealers in SC wouldn't get within $4k of that price. 

I took the $1,500 rebate and financed through GM Financial, paid my first payment, refinanced locally with no issue. I too was told I had to wait 3 months....nope!

IMG_6080.thumb.jpg.0dfb5178c55d08a32feabe4ca7593455.jpg

Edited by Golfguy1996

On 10/23/2018 at 11:09 AM, Bama08 said:

I can't really speak to your situation as I offered Howard Bentley in Albertville, AL a cash price with trade in. Ended up at $31k out the door on my 2018 SLT. Another factor is, HB tends to have lower prices due to their large inventory. But, the price doesn't seem too bad...the only thing that would've made me hit the roof would've been the apr...:(. I might deal with it though because that's a nice truck. 

Yep, got mine from there too. They claimed they sell 200 trucks a month and can offer volume discounts. :dunno:

2 hours ago, Golfguy1996 said:

Yep, got mine from there too. They claimed they sell 200 trucks a month and can offer volume discounts. :dunno:

That's where I bought mine.  They basically told me they don't make any money off of the truck (LOL) but they get huge payouts at the end of the year for meeting sales numbers.

No car dealer ever makes money off a car sell. Right?

Edited by danb303

That's where I bought mine.  They basically told me they don't make any money off of the truck (LOL) but they get huge payouts at the end of the year for meeting sales numbers.

They were top 15 in the nation last year and top 5 in the Southeast. They move alot of trucks.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, danb303 said:

That's what they say but this is a true story...friend of mine is in the used business and is good friends with Sitton GMC in Greenville. He stopped in there one day while I was looking and had them pull the dealer invoice for my truck at HB (and sent it to me)...Sitton said there's no way HB made any money selling me the truck for $38.8k and word for word told my buddy "you need to tell him to drive down there and buy that truck." Now, they don't move trucks like HB does so they don't know what the volume kickback is but based on the current invoice, they made nothing on my individual sale.  Edited: I never saw the dealership. Bought it and they drove it to me.

I pulled the KBB just for poops and giggles yesterday...private party $46k, trade in $44-46k. Just clicked 3k on the meter, time to trade her in! :lol:

Edited by Golfguy1996

Just bought a new '18 SLT Crew Cab short bed.  Options:
6.2L motor
Premium Plus package
Sunroof
Quicksilver Metallic Paint
All weather floor liners

After all incentives and after all fees, it was $44,055 + tax.  I think I did well; sticker was a tad over 61k before any discounts.

4 hours ago, B R A D said:

They were top 15 in the nation last year and top 5 in the Southeast. They move alot of trucks.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I was going to mention the top 5 stat. I know absolutely nothing about the car business, but I have heard HB doesn’t make much on their trucks. Their biggest profit comes from moving them. 

The dealer want totally lying.
New car sales aren’t where the money is at for a dealership.

Used cars, parts/service and financing are the big profit centers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro