Comercial 1500 Silverado 16,700 lbs tow capacity

I am wanting to trade in my 14 silverado 1500 for something thats rated to pull more weight. I notice on Chevrolet's website that the commercial silverado 1500 w/ 3.73 rear axle ratio has a 15000/16700lbs w max trailering package rating. Every dealership I've called doesn't know what I am talking about so can someone verify for me that this configuration of the Silverado exists?! 

https://www.gmfleetorderguide.com/NASApp/domestic/proddesc.jsp?year=2019&regionID=1&divisionID=1&type=0&vehicleID=21483&section=trailer_specs&page=&butID=8

The best configuration I found is rated at 12,200 lbs for the 4WD Standard Bed Double Cab 6.2 max trailer package.  *BUT* You will likely go over payload before you reach max trailer weight.  This is why people who tow heavy loads go for 3/4 or 1 ton trucks...

• Like 1

I think a 3500 would be better suited for that much towing.  Using cr250's link above, the 3500 is the only one that will meet your needs. 

I've seen folks tow way above rated in a 1/2 ton truck.  Yes, you can do it.  But the truck wears out very quickly doing that, plus it's not very safe.

Edited by Nargg

On 10/22/2018 at 6:30 PM, cr250Silverado said:

https://www.gmfleetorderguide.com/NASApp/domestic/proddesc.jsp?year=2019&regionID=1&divisionID=1&type=0&vehicleID=21483&section=trailer_specs&page=&butID=8

The best configuration I found is rated at 12,200 lbs for the 4WD Standard Bed Double Cab 6.2 max trailer package.  *BUT* You will likely go over payload before you reach max trailer weight.  This is why people who tow heavy loads go for 3/4 or 1 ton trucks...

The 2wd is the highest rated tow package. 

No way in hell would I pin up to any load that weighed 3 times as much as the pick-up pulling it. You are asking for trouble. The 16,500# tow rating is a type-o, the 2500 6.0L is not even rated (estimated) to tow that weight. You WILL NOT spec a trailer combination for a half-ton that will allow for those weights without exceeding the axle ratings on the truck. If you want to pull double the weight of your tow vehicle that is one thing, but when you are tripling it, it is time for bigger truck or a Class 8. I put 3 bikes and a side-by-side on my 20' tandem trailer that weighs 2,500# empty + 900lb per unit roughly = 6,100lbs, that is about as crazy as I want to get with my half-tons. After that its a job for the 6L or 6.6L Duramax. Even with travel trailers, it is night and day difference in towing performance between a 1500 and 2500, but I wouldn't want to daily a 2500 unless I had no choice. 

40 minutes ago, L86 All Terrain said:

No way in hell would I pin up to any load that weighed 3 times as much as the pick-up pulling it. You are asking for trouble. The 16,500# tow rating is a type-o, the 2500 6.0L is not even rated (estimated) to tow that weight. You WILL NOT spec a trailer combination for a half-ton that will allow for those weights without exceeding the axle ratings on the truck. If you want to pull double the weight of your tow vehicle that is one thing, but when you are tripling it, it is time for bigger truck or a Class 8. I put 3 bikes and a side-by-side on my 20' tandem trailer that weighs 2,500# empty + 900lb per unit roughly = 6,100lbs, that is about as crazy as I want to get with my half-tons. After that its a job for the 6L or 6.6L Duramax. Even with travel trailers, it is night and day difference in towing performance between a 1500 and 2500, but I wouldn't want to daily a 2500 unless I had no choice. 

How do semis haul any loads?

17 minutes ago, BB68 said:

How do semis haul any loads?

That's why I said a pick-up trucks... I own seven class 8 trucks. 5 Kenworth T800's, one W900 and one Western Star 4900 with various trailers, specializing in ice roads, aggregates, bush low-bedding and woodchip haul. 

IMG_0134.jpg

IMG_0424.JPG

IMG_1167.jpg

Edited by L86 All Terrain
  • Like 1

As someone mentioned, the 16k lb number you see is the gross COMBINED weight rating not the tow capacity.

As someone who has experience towing 14-16k LB loads I would tell you that even 12k is crazy to consider that in a half ton even if they say it’s possible.  The brakes, rear axle, suspension isn’t meant for that kind of hauling and your truck will be completely worn out in no time.

The 2500/3500 WT’s are very little extra money over the 1500. I know you were just commenting on the max tow rating but if you are actually considering towing 16k get a 3500.