My Free - 25 hour oil change.

My Free - 25 hour oil change.

Unbelievable. That’s how I would describe it.  I purchased a new 2018 Chevy 1500 Silverado LTZ and took it to the dealership after 1 month of ownership - for 1 of 4 free oil changes.  I expected an hour wait…

After an hour and a half I started to question the status of my vehicle. The girl comes out and says I have good news and bad news. The good news is your oil change is done. The bad news is

(And my heart starts to sink) – They cannot get it off the lift. A cable is broken but they think it can be fixed.

So I wait 5 minutes and walk out to the bay and see then trying to balance the truck using tall manual jacks by the rear axle.  I then begin to “strongly explain to them “that I will be beyond angry if there are any dents, scraps or damage to the truck due to the failure of the hoist. (An older version of a Rotary lift)

I then speak to the shop foreman who explains a cable snapped and the hoist will not lower. They called a company who will be sending out someone tomorrow to repair it.

And then I ask – when was this going to be communicated to me?

And how am I getting home or getting to work tomorrow?

Don’t you do regular inspect of lifts to prevent this from happening?

I then mentioned I will be beyond angry if the frame is bent of there is any damage of any kind. The shop foreman explained that they will take every pre-caution that the vehicle will not be damaged.

I am skeptical.

So I have a rental from them today and will pick it up in the afternoon. Man,  am I ever upset.

• Confused 1

Shite happens.  We've had 2 lifts fail before, one of them was a month after the lift company inspected it too.  We had a Nissan Murano stuck all the way up on one (old lift that was replaced right after failure), the other the lift arm failed and dropped a truck (one month after inspection by the lift company, not even 2 year old lift). 

If its on the lift, and on locks, there should be zero damage.  There would be damage if it dropped or slipped off the lift. 

Edited by newdude
  • Like 2

Stuff (shit) happens as already mentioned.  You've gained a wonderful experience and story.  The dealership provided you a rental while your personal truck spends a night in the air.  This is not a major upset.    Mechanical breakdowns, employee illness, floods, fires, etc. impact the smooth operation of any business.  I would take in a box of donuts to the dealership today and express empathy for the bad day they had yesterday!  You may need similar understanding someday.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

21 minutes ago, Donstar said:

Stuff (shit) happens as already mentioned.  You've gained a wonderful experience and story.  The dealership provided you a rental while your personal truck spends a night in the air.  This is not a major upset.    Mechanical breakdowns, employee illness, floods, fires, etc. impact the smooth operation of any business.  I would take in a box of donuts to the dealership today and express empathy for the bad day they had yesterday!  You may need similar understanding someday.

Agree.

:)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Donstar said:

HAHAHHAHAH I see Oct 17th is treating you well...  "Take in a box of donuts" HAHAHAHAHHAHAHHA

^ Box of donuts cost you $10. The good relationship you create with that foreman may save you thousands in your future years of owning that truck.

The so common answer of "Thats normal" on many issues there trucks have may be not so normal when it comes to your truck and may get you a deeper better look because the foreman knows you better now.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, doozer78 said:

Who gets oil changed after 30 days? LOL

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

OP didn't say how many miles he had put on his 18 Silverado in the first month of ownership, but always a good idea to do the first oil change early, anywhere between 1 and 3k to get rid of break in metal, assembly lube, etc. The oil filter is especially critical to get changed early.

• Thanks 1

I garuantee you they know you'll be angry if they damage your vehicle. I'm sure they're not that naive. That being said, talking to them like that will most likely get you the equivalent of pissing off a food service worker. They'll spit in your food. 

Shit breaks. Nothing is invulnerable. Take a look at the US Navy. Billions of dollars spent on this new class of ship called the "LCS." All that money spent on R&D and they still can't get the damn things to quit breaking. 

Just be thankful that they were able to hook you up with a rental. When stuff like that happens, most businesses tend to reimburse you in some way for the inconvience, IF you were cordial. 

• Like 1