BFGoodrich Launches Its New Mud-Terrain T/A KM3 Tire - We Try Them Out

Gorehamj

bfg km3 on jeep.jpg

John Goreham
Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
10-26-2018

BFGoodrich (BFG) launched its new KM3 this summer. The KM3 is the company's newest mud-terrain tire and features improvements over the prior generation tire from BFG. GM-Trucks.com had a chance to try out the new tire on a Land Rover-designed off-road course on the grounds of the amazing Monticello Motor Club in the woods of New York this week. 

bfg jeep doors open.jpg

BFG brought along a modified new 2019 Jeep Wrangler to showcase its new tire. To get a feel for the difference the KM3 tires can make, we were first given a familiarization lap of the course in another 2019 Wrangler with KO2 all-terrain tires. Frankly, these Jeeps are so capable off-road we didn't think we'd feel any difference, but we did. The KM3's don't slip as much in deep mud and muck. On part of the course, an overflowing pond had created a section with water running across the track. That section has a pretty steep angle as well. In the control Jeep, we could feel a bit of side to side sliding motion. However, in the Jeep wearing the KM3 tires we continued straight across. 

bfg km3 clean with arrow.jpg

BFG says the new tread design provides 5% better mud traction and 8% added rock traction. The mud-traction is credited to its mud-phobic shoulder bars (see red arrow). More impressive is the estimated 27% tougher sidewall. BFG adapted its thicker CoreGard Max sidewall from its race-winning Baja desert racer design. 

bgf km3 left.jpg

The new BFGoodrich KM3 is available in 54 sizes, including 33 additional sizes from the previous generation, for 88 percent coverage of the market. There are also UTV sizes. We asked Phil Watson, Director of Consumer Public Relations  BFGoodrich Tires / Michelin North America, to tell us who the KM3 is really targeting and what it offers over a standard equipment all-terrain tire on a vehicle like a Colorado ZR2 or Bison. He said, "The BFGoodrich Mud-Terrain T/A KM3 is essential equipment for hardcore off-road enthusiasts. One of the most valuable equipment upgrades off-road drivers can make is tires. We designed the KM3 for more sidewall toughness and traction in mud and on rocks and proved its capabilities by winning some classes of the Baja 1000 on it."

Story Note: GM-Trucks.com and its personnel received no compensation for the placement of this story. We traveled to our annual International Motor Press Association event at our own expense and paid a nominal fee to attend. Our thanks to Monticello Motor Club for the use of its facilities.    

21 hours ago, GPGuy said:

Just bought some BFG All Terrain KO2's (second set). If these are in any way as good as those, they will surely be a great tire. 

How many miles did you get on you last set of k02? 

I hope to get 40k on my ko2 on my 5500lb truck. 

Ive heard they don’t last on diesel trucks due to the weight 7300lbs and up plus the massive amounts of torque. 

• 4 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Gee-ehmz said:

how true is this? I'm planning to buy new tires soon and would like to know feedback on this

There are lots of reviews for K02 and KM2 on Tire Rack. KM3 not many reviews since they were just released. 

Seems like the lighter 4 runners and some 1/2 ton trucks are getting 40 - 50k out of them.

K02

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=All-Terrain+T%2FA+KO2

KM2

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=Mud-Terrain+T%2FA+KM2

KM3

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=Mud-Terrain+T%2FA+KM3

Edited by 2009GMC

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/28/2018 at 11:19 PM, 2009GMC said:

How many miles did you get on you last set of k02? 

I hope to get 40k on my ko2 on my 5500lb truck. 

Ive heard they don’t last on diesel trucks due to the weight 7300lbs and up plus the massive amounts of torque. 

I got 65,000miles out of mine. They were getting down and wouldn't have wanted to drive them in the snow but for the summer they were still good. 

5 minutes ago, GPGuy said:

I got 65,000miles out of mine. They were getting down and wouldn't have wanted to drive them in the snow but for the summer they were still good. 

65k miles? Wow! That’s great for an aggressive AT! Any pics of what tread was left at that mileage?

Just now, 2009GMC said:

65k miles? Wow! That’s great for an aggressive AT! Any pics of what tread was left at that mileage?

I should have done that but I didn't. They were getting down and like I said I wouldn't have wanted to be on them in the snow but all things considered they weren't terrible. Looking at where you're from you shouldn't have a problem with that. lol 

I can say without hesitation that when I went to buy new tires I didn't even consider any other tire. 

The new ones even have a more aggressive look than the old ones too and I was happy with the looks of them. 

In my area we actually average 100” of snow per year. 2009 had nearly 3ft in a series of storms! Of course doesn’t stick around as long as northern hemisphere but I enjoy having 4 seasons ?

• 1 year later...
On 12/5/2018 at 10:09 AM, 2018GMC said:

In my area we actually average 100” of snow per year. 2009 had nearly 3ft in a series of storms! Of course doesn’t stick around as long as liteblue northern hemisphere but I enjoy having 4 seasons ?

awesome. Bump!

Edited by jelskein
spelling