The most honest and perfect review I have read yet on the 2019s

4 minutes ago, BIGDOGx said:

... To take a step back when all other makes are putting their two best feet forward is not a smart move strategy wise for GM..

Agreed, especially when F*rd and R*m already played their hand before GM revealed their design - they had a chance for a home run.  It's still good enough for me, just sad they didn't trounce the competition.  

• Like 2

I believe GM has a strong handle on targeting their market and I find many of the negative comments in this thread comical.  GM has produced an outstanding product.  The benchmarks some people use to measure and compare the improvements between pickups tend to be quite personal.  Your needs may be better served by buying a Ford or RAM  but the '19 GM beats them in all ways meaningful to me.  As I often do, I spent part of my Sunday visiting the truck lots. (I like to be ready in case I win big money on the lottery!)  Ford and RAMS have some appealing trucks, but the '19 Trail Boss I looked at would be in my first choice by a large margin!

• Like 1

The review may be biased, but I think it hits several issues on point. I currently have a 2011 Silverado Z71 (original owner) w/ LC9 and 6L80e; besides a few minor annoyances, it has been a great truck! I'm a GM guy at heart and really don't want to look anywhere else, however, this new model is a let down on several fronts. I'm in the market to buy a new truck in the next year, and even after really trying to convince myself to stay with this brand, I will most likely look somewhere else. While I understand you can’t satisfy all buyers, there are too many features that could have been improved without “hurting anyone’s feelings”.  

1)      Engines – while I’m a huge fan of the LS/LT engines, there really is nothing new here. Dynamic Skip Fire does nothing for me. The 6.2L would be great, but is only offered on the highest of trims, and even then, you have to run premium fuel! While maybe I can justify the $60k plus on the truck, adding another 60-70cents per gallon just adds insult to injury.

Would like to see the “high-volume” engine (aka 5.3L L84) at least be on par with the current offerings from Ford and FCA – not 40hp behind! Perhaps a 5.7L GenV could get there – or reduce CR and adjust the cal on the 6.2L L87 so that it can run on 87PON. May sacrifice a few ponies, but would surely still be the most powerful V8 in its class.

The turbo I4 is another letdown. Performance seems adequate, but will have to work it’s a** off to move this truck with no real gains in fuel economy. How about a turbo I6 gasoline offering? This would surely compete with the ecoboost and with the larger displacement, might actually be able to work less and still retain the fuel economy.

2)      Transmissions – you have a GREAT 10speed auto, but only make available to the highest of trims with 6.2L and 3.0L diesel engines.

3)      Interior/Ergonomics – while light-years ahead of my current Silverado, it is still not in line with the competition. Heck, it’s going to feel real antiquated once Ford rolls out their new redesign next year.

4)      Packaging – this is what really upsets me. I get that you can’t build a truck a la carte, but come on….. Everything is an attempt for GM to push everyone into the higher trim models. Ideal market strategy I know, but with how extreme some of the “nit-picking” is, it makes us wonder if you think your buyers are dumb. Ford and FCA offer A LOT more flexibility.

5)      Styling – while totally subjective, I don’t hate the styling. However, as I like the features of the Trailboss, that gloss black grill is too much. Would be a b**** trying to keep that thing clean and looking good after the pummeling it would get from gravel haulers on the expressway. Too much going on with the “fins” as well.

6)      Frame Protection – after all these years, is there a better way to protect the frame from the Michigan winters? The wax on my ’11 pretty much fell off after a couple years. I’m sure nothing (at least yet) is of concern structurally, but all the rust on the underside is quite cosmetically off-putting.

7)      Colors – I know, I know – not important to many. Is it too much to ask for a simple dark gray color? Why is there so much blue in GM’s shadow gray metallic?

In general, it seems this truck was rushed to market. Some major oversights (ie Trailboss with bigger tires sticks with 3.23 rearend) will probably deter some buyers. I’m sure marketing has done their homework, but appears execution is lacking. I, along with many others, hope that many of these items will be addressed during the refresh in a couple years.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Donstar said:

I believe GM has a strong handle on targeting their market and I find many of the negative comments in this thread comical.  GM has produced an outstanding product.  The benchmarks some people use to measure and compare the improvements between pickups tend to be quite personal.  Your needs may be better served by buying a Ford or RAM  but the '19 GM beats them in all ways meaningful to me.  As I often do, I spent part of my Sunday visiting the truck lots. (I like to be ready in case I win big money on the lottery!)  Ford and RAMS have some appealing trucks, but the '19 Trail Boss I looked at would be in my first choice by a large margin!

Glad there are some that like the new ones.  My fear is all the younger kids (20 somethings) that I've talked to that don't like the new ones, at all. 

I'm "only" 51, and it's funny to hear some of these kids say things like these trucks (2018 and older years) are the last good trucks Chevy is gonna make.  Like I would hear old people say when I was young about other vehicles. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, SILVER SLED said:

Glad there are some that like the new ones.  My fear is all the younger kids (20 somethings) that I've talked to that don't like the new ones, at all. 

I'm "only" 51, and it's funny to hear some of these kids say things like these trucks (2018 and older years) are the last good trucks Chevy is gonna make.  Like I would hear old people say when I was young about other vehicles. 

I'm 25 and I own a 2019 Trailboss and it is by far the best truck on the market in my opinion.  I know a lot of people like to trash talk this truck but none of them actually own one.  This truck runs great, rides super smooth, is super quiet in the cab, has tons of legroom in the front and rear, and is loaded with lots of features.  The interior is a refined version of the previous gen and it looks great and functions even better.  Every button is within reach and appropriately laid out.  The 5.3 that everyone also likes to bash is fast and nimble and the weight reduction can be felt when you step on it.  Having a cutout on my truck, this truck actually sounds like a v8 truck unlike some of the competitors.  The ram may have a nice interior but I do not think it is better than the Silverado's, it's just different.  Furthermore, the "new Ram" looks nothing more than a refresh of the last gen and somehow it got smaller in appearance, especially in the front.  The Silverado, on the other hand, has a bold, fresh new face and it wears it proudly.  It looks mean, aggressive, and wide which is how a truck should look.  I honestly get between 8-10 compliments a week on my truck, and I actually got 3 within an hour yesterday at Costco.  It's a great truck and I am 110% happy with it.

Edited by z1boss
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Sierra Dan said:

Interior may look cheaper, but The Prices are Certainly Not getting any cheaper...…  

Decrease value while increasing price. They get away with because the average consumer is an idiot.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, z1boss said:

I'm 25 and I own a 2019 Trailboss and it is by far the best truck on the market in my opinion.  I know a lot of people like to trash talk this truck but none of them actually own one.  This truck runs great, rides super smooth, is super quiet in the cab, has tons of legroom in the front and rear, and is loaded with lots of features.  The interior is a refined version of the previous gen and it looks great and functions even better.  Every button is within reach and appropriately laid out.  The 5.3 that everyone also likes to bash is fast and nimble and the weight reduction can be felt when you step on it.  Having a cutout on my truck, this truck actually sounds like a v8 truck unlike some of the competitors.  The ram may have a nice interior but I do not think it is better than the Silverado's, it's just different.  Furthermore, the "new Ram" looks nothing more than a refresh of the last gen and somehow it got smaller in appearance, especially in the front.  The Silverado, on the other hand, has a bold, fresh new face and it wears it proudly.  It looks mean, aggressive, and wide which is how a truck should look.  I honestly get between 8-10 compliments a week on my truck, and I actually got 3 within an hour yesterday at Costco.  It's a great truck and I am 110% happy with it.

Good to hear, I hope they start selling a lot of them. 

Pics and details of the 74 Trans Am please.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, z1boss said:

+1 Boss. This is a bad ass truck, and you are exactly right, everyone bashing it I doubt have even test drove one. I feel as if GM actually listened to all of us over the last several years and fixed all of the complaints. The 2019 fixed so many things that we bitched out on the 08-2018's. Also about the interior, were you expecting the inside of a Rolls Royce? I think its  equally as great if not better than an Escalade's interior and I feel very luxurious in mine.

So if you like Ram so much then go join their forum and talk about how great it is.

• Like 1

I am not trash talking the 2019 Silverado/Sierra, and no I haven't test drove one. There is no need to test drive one as I find the new design of both trucks is terrible. The tailgate looks like it is 5 foot tall, the front end, well lets just say it is a miss, and the mirrors on the side of the door look like mouse ears. This is not trash talking, it is my opinion. If you like the truck then that is great. But, my opinion is at this time they are ugly and I hope GM does something to fix the issues. No matter how good it drives, how nice the interior is or how fast it is I will not drive something that I would be embarrassed to be seen in and have to explain "but it's quiet, fast and so smooth".

1 hour ago, duquephart said:

Decrease value while increasing price. They get away with because the average consumer is an idiot.

I believe the reference was referring to a look perceived by some.  It would be interesting to see if the actual value and or production costs are less. I would use the term richer when describing the new interiors.   I doubt costs per truck has gone down for GM.  But, I'm your average consumer so I must be an idiot....

7 minutes ago, SAMS819 said:

Love my new 2019.  Loved my 2016. Have had more compliments on my 19 in 3 weeks than in the 3 years I had the 16.  The only dislike is the start / stop option.  But it really is no big deal. :smash:

B194FBFC-DB0B-4738-9DE5-F11F488C73F0.jpeg

B98FC534-7B25-417D-AC2E-A5713D2CA9B3.jpeg

OMG, that thing is hideous.  I hate the gay cheek bone protector look.  It's not quite as bad on the all body color trims.

Unfortunately I've had more people go out of there way to tell me that new truck is ugly than tell me they like it.

• Haha 3

15 minutes ago, SAMS819 said:

Love my new 2019.  Loved my 2016. Have had more compliments on my 19 in 3 weeks than in the 3 years I had the 16.  The only dislike is the start / stop option.  But it really is no big deal. :smash:

B194FBFC-DB0B-4738-9DE5-F11F488C73F0.jpeg

Beautiful truck!  

25 minutes ago, SILVER SLED said:

OMG, that thing is hideous.  I hate the gay cheek bone protector look.  It's not quite as bad on the all body color trims.

Unfortunately I've had more people go out of there way to tell me that new truck is ugly than tell me they like it.

Well I guess if I had just bought  an 18 I would probably defend my decision to do so. Fortunately I waited for the 19, and am glad I did.  Could of bought an 18 for 12,000 less but they looked like a 4 year old truck.  Same old same old. :loser:

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, SILVER SLED said:

Silver Sled, first of all you started off a sentence with OMG, and I am pretty sure you are not a 16 year old girl... By calling the 2019 gay, are you over compensating for something?

By the way... My 2019 told me just now he would appreciate if you did not call him gay, he really prefers to be called "Metro" OK?