New Member hoping to shake some fruit from the tree of knowledge:

I have 2015 Silverado Z71 with the 5.3L L83 engine. I installed a remote oil filter relocation kit from Hamburger Performance to relocate the oil filter from the awful factory location to the nice empty space in the engine bay, right behind the driver's side headlights. I already have an external transmission filter kit in this same spot. (3rd pic is of new oil filter on the left with blue tape on inlet line, transmission filer kit is just to the right of oil filter kit) . I got tired of oil puking on me when changing the filter and wanted to run a larger oil filter than stock. My question is: has anyone else done this Mod. and if so how did they route their oil lines from the old filter location up into the engine bay compartment? From the stock filter location (2nd pic) , there is a tiny space inside the front left frame rail and I've got my oil lines snaking between the front drive shaft and the driver's side exhaust manifold (Pic # 4 & 5 oil line is black braided nylon hose). I'm getting a loud whining noise which I'm pretty sure is the oil lines pulsating against the frame or exhaust heat shield. I'm considering re-routing the lines to the outside of the left frame rail and bringing them up inside the drivers side wheel well (1st pic) but this seems less than ideal as the lines would be somewhat exposed to road elements or suspension movement. The good news is I've got good oil pressure (40 lbs at idle, 60-80 lbs @ 3750 RPM once the second stage oil pump kicks in) so I know I hooked them up correctly and oil is flowing. I've changed oil filters thinking that might quiet the noise but no luck. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

pic 5.JPG

pic 4.JPG

pic 1.JPG

pic 2.JPG

pic 3.JPG

Edited by clinton66
picture order changed
  • Like 1

Link to this kit please

I didn't actually buy the kit, I bought the parts individually. I didn't want to use the hose barb type clamp fittings that came with the kit so I bought just the spin-on adapter and the filter mount, then bought four 90 degree -12 AN fittings to plumb everything. 

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ham-3365

1 hour ago, newdude said:

What in complication is this? 

Relocates the filter feom under to up top

What size filter does it take now?

Nice setup!

24 minutes ago, Nasty said:

Relocates the filter feom under to up top

Aware...seems like a giant and complicated mess.  What's next a drain plug relocate?  That's still under the truck, and the filter is right near the thing. 

• Like 1

Aware...seems like a giant and complicated mess.  What's next a drain plug relocate?  That's still under the truck, and the filter is right near the thing. 

He has a Fumoto drain valve on the oil pan to basically eliminate any mess when draining the oil. The filter relocate makes the filter change much easier and hopefully less messy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, please no comments about why You would want to do this to your truck, that’s what my wife is for. Catpartsman, good catch on the fumoto. Remote filter base is threaded for 3/4” X 16 thread filter. There are many more options for filters this size and I can use the same size filter for my Transmission filter and oil filter. There are many remote oil filter kits available, I went with Hamburger because they are CNC billet and allow a larger AN -12 size hose. Most other filter bases use a smaller diameter hose that could restrict oil flow. Only problem is how to route it  from under the engine so that it doesn’t get melted by the exhaust, wrapped up in the front drive shaft or squashed by the lower control arm or anti-roll bar. 

Edited by clinton66
  • Like 1

I like this idea allot. Thanks for sharing it. :thumbs:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By 2017Sierra1500
      Hey there. Getting ready to do a TSP cam swap on my 2017 5.3 Sierra and I’m wondering if the Msd intake is worth putting on at the same time?

I’m looking for a list of parts needed and if anyone is seeing worth while gains from it?

Currently have a K&N intake, pacesetter longtubes, true dual exhaust with an H pipe, and 4.88 gears. Thanks in advance
    • By btj_z71
      Hey Forum - Do any of yall have results from running your L83 on a dyno?  I plan on doing a Black Bear tune soon and was going to do before/after dyno results.  Curious if anyone has results to post here that I can compare to.

My truck is a 2014 LTZ Z71 with the 5.3L and 3.73 gears (9.5in rear end) from the Max Trailer Tow package.  I have a K&N CAI and a custom dual exhaust where the muffler and resonator were deleted.

FYI: I was reading this thread earlier.  My truck is currently governed at the stock limit of 100mph.  So, I assume it would still be safe to take on the dyno.
      https://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/198544-dyno-tune-driveshaft-cannot-handle-115/?page=1

• By Silverado_Matt_15
      If this is posted in the wrong spot, please let me know as I am new. I am looking for some advice from some other guys who have gone down the same path I am about to go down. I have a 2015 Silverado 5.3 and next week I am ordering an on3 76mm ball-bearing turbo kit for it, Snow Performance Stage 2 water meth kit, 4'' exhaust and a converter (not sure the stall, HELP!) My goal is 620-650 rwhp. I have a friend who put down 614 on meth with a 70mm kit and a 3200 stall precision converter. My questions are this because I am not as familiar with this L83. What will factory fuel support? will I need a pump/injectors to get in the low-mid 600s? What would be a good converter to use on the street but also still be able to pull an open trailer with my sidexside (RZR XP Turbo) on it? Who has experience with On3 turbo kits? Vengeance Racing, a very reputable and trustworthy shop here in Georgia will be dyno tuning the truck for me once I am done. Thanks guys!
    • By ObscureGlock
      Hey all! Hope everyone is having a wonderful Monday morning. I’m reaching out to y’all because i purchased my 2014 Silverado 5.3 used, with 76k highway miles. From purchase, it had a decently loud engine, which after reading some posts about direct injection and the oil delivery of these engines, thought it was normal. But after comparing engine sounds to other 2014-2016 5.3 engines, I’ve come to the realization that my engine is obviously not operating the way it should be. 

My transmission acts up a bit, but that’s GM transmissions... I’ll have it checked out when I take it for a warranty service.

Anyways, I wanted to hear what you guys think on this topic. I can’t seem to figure out what the whining is from, and why it’s incredibly quieter on other trucks. Maybe my (part that produced the whine) needs to be replaced? I don’t know what it is. My starter grinds sometimes and it’s a nasty sound, but I heard starters aren’t covered under warranty. Then, I noticed, if I get on the pedal and let off, there’s a chirp...I have no freakin clue what that is, so any insight on that helps. Next up is my lifters. I have to definitely get new lifters, and I heard that the lifters go bad after many miles thanks to the B.S. AFM. Once I get the full service I’ll be tuning out the AFM. 

Then, finally, is my driveline. I get almost like a “clunk” somewhere along the driveline towards the end when I’m coming to a stop, and going... I think it might be my UJoint.

Thank you guys for any input you leave, it’s greatly appreciated.
    • By turbocdubs
      Okay so I bought a new Silverado last year, the day I took it home I installed a number of things, one of those things being a wix "coolant" filter Part #33032. GM actually has a perfect quick disconnect on the fan shroud so I just unclipped that and slid the filter into place.

Why? I've just always been curious on a brand new truck. Does it actually matter? I don't think so because the trucks don't have a coolant fed oil cooler that could clog like the corvettes do so I actually might recommend it to those guys who do.

What I found interesting was  once I opened the filter there was a ton of gunk of a muddy type consistency. I've included a few pictures keep in mind the truck only had 7500 miles on it or so when I took this filter off. I don't see this playing a huge role in the lifetime of a vehicle (which is why GM probably doesn't include one) but I'm sure the gunk would clog small radiator/engine passages over time (years) of course.