In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Sign in to follow this  
MadCaddie

Annoying "new feature"

Anyone else's truck shut off if left running.  I didn't time it, but seemed like 10-15 minutes. 

Parked, running, no one in cabin

Shuts down and then let's radio play for 10min or until driver door is open. 

Kind of annoying if I'm trying to keep the truck warm or use the outlet in the bed. 

2019 AT4

Edited by MadCaddie

Wonder if it's a new mandate. Haven't noticed yet, but do know we just got a new motorhome with a Cummins ISB and it will automatically shut down after about 10-15 minutes at idle. 

Is this with the "remote start"?   or with key in engine started? or maybe a key less ignition and distance from FOB is to great?  

My truck shuts down after 15 min if I use the remote start and allows only one more cycle.  

K2's shut down in about 10min with remote start.

Yeah, I know the previous models shut down after x min...

Im sure with the push button that has changed some to prevent the lapses when parking in your garage and leaving the truck running.

• Like 1

I don't know the answer, but it may have something to do with the push button start and accounts of people accidently leaving push button start vehicles running after getting out.  If that's the case it's probably considered a safety feature and may or may not be able to be turned off in settings.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sierra Dan said:

K2's shut down in about 10min with remote start.

GMT900s as well.

Edited by Osirus

18 hours ago, MadCaddie said:

Anyone else's truck shut off if left running.  I didn't time it, but seemed like 10-15 minutes. 

Parked, running, no one in cabin

Shuts down and then let's radio play for 10min or until driver door is open. 

Kind of annoying if I'm trying to keep the truck warm or use the outlet in the bed. 

2019 AT4

Was this during a remote start event?  Or did you have it running while driving, and got out and took the key with you?

If it was during remote start, certain 2019 GM vehicles now have the remote start timer up to 15 minutes per cycle.  If you run the remote start once, and then before it shuts off, you can perform the remote start cycle again during the timer window and it will extend the run time another 10 (or 15) minutes. 

3 minutes ago, newdude said:

Was this during a remote start event?  Or did you have it running while driving, and got out and took the key with you?

If it was during remote start, certain 2019 GM vehicles now have the remote start timer up to 15 minutes per cycle.  If you run the remote start once, and then before it shuts off, you can perform the remote start cycle again during the timer window and it will extend the run time another 10 (or 15) minutes. 

I didn't think it is a remote start event since the radio was playing.  I've hear of a "key check" in new ones and if a key is not detected in the vehicle after a certain amount of time and no movement it will shut the vehicle off. 

57 minutes ago, Capt Bob said:

Thanks! 

Very annoying, however I wonder if they changed the times for Fob out of Vehicle as it was only 10-15min each start. 

I will have to try it with the fob inside next time. 

Sometimes I grab a quick nap in my cars if I get called in in the middle of the night or comes off a working 24+ straight, so I can see this being a pain in the ass. 

I found this in owners manual, it's called extended parking...

Extended Parking

It is best not to park with the vehicle running. If the vehicle is left running, be sure it will not move and there is adequate ventilation.

See Shifting Into Park and Engine Exhaust.

If the vehicle is left parked and running with the RKE transmitter outside the vehicle, it will continue to run for up to half an hour.

If the vehicle is left parked and running with the RKE transmitter inside the vehicle, it will continue to run for up to an hour.

The vehicle could turn off sooner if it is parked on a hill, due to lack of available fuel.

The timer will reset if the vehicle is taken out of P (Park) while it is running

• Thanks 2