Aftermarket options for touch screen/radio/nav display??

Like many members (most likely ALL....@ some point @ least) - I have experienced my radio/touch screen interface going haywire. I've had the dealer "reflash" it - no help, will start jumping around menus & behave as if some ghost is randomly drunkenly tapping buttons - then it'll freeze up entirely & not react period unless I tap it a bunch of times w/ all 5 finger tips - not exactly the way I want to interact w/ my near $60k vehicle.

So - I have heard of screen replacements fixing this - I'm @ 57k miles & although I do have documentation showing I complained about the display, I just am losing energy/desire in arguing w/ the dealership @ this point.

Unfortunately the truck is paid off & I have 2 fairly new sets of tires & an extra set of wheels along w/ tonneau, tool box, tint etc. & other $$$ into it so my attention was to keep for a long time - even though I don't like it all that much & think the quality is trash, I've decided to just ride it out payment free - however the thought of driving this POS around w/o even the ability to interface w/ the NAV/infotainment screen for the balance of my ownership experience is pretty abysmal.

So - what are the options? Are there any? Seems like there are more than simply the nav/radio that is "controlled" by the touchscreen. My other concern is that I could spend $$$ replacing the factory screen w/ a new one only to find that isn't the issue, or replace the whole stock radio w/ new factory unit & still have issue etc. I'd like to just yank everything for aftermarket but it seems w/ all the different apps/info/settings in the screen that may not be possible.

My truck is '15 Sierra All Terrain SLT trim

Today's GM: can't make a tranny, a radio/nav display, trucks that won't shake, - sure do make decent small blocks though right? (yeah as long as you reprogram the ECM/TCM & pull out all the AFM hardware for aftermarket) 

GM IS A JOKE

9 minutes ago, crushNchowda said:

Like many members (most likely ALL....@ some point @ least) - I have experienced my radio/touch screen interface going haywire. I've had the dealer "reflash" it - no help, will start jumping around menus & behave as if some ghost is randomly drunkenly tapping buttons - then it'll freeze up entirely & not react period unless I tap it a bunch of times w/ all 5 finger tips - not exactly the way I want to interact w/ my near $60k vehicle.

So - I have heard of screen replacements fixing this - I'm @ 57k miles & although I do have documentation showing I complained about the display, I just am losing energy/desire in arguing w/ the dealership @ this point.

Unfortunately the truck is paid off & I have 2 fairly new sets of tires & an extra set of wheels along w/ tonneau, tool box, tint etc. & other $$$ into it so my attention was to keep for a long time - even though I don't like it all that much & think the quality is trash, I've decided to just ride it out payment free - however the thought of driving this POS around w/o even the ability to interface w/ the NAV/infotainment screen for the balance of my ownership experience is pretty abysmal.

So - what are the options? Are there any? Seems like there are more than simply the nav/radio that is "controlled" by the touchscreen. My other concern is that I could spend $$$ replacing the factory screen w/ a new one only to find that isn't the issue, or replace the whole stock radio w/ new factory unit & still have issue etc. I'd like to just yank everything for aftermarket but it seems w/ all the different apps/info/settings in the screen that may not be possible.

My truck is '15 Sierra All Terrain SLT trim

Today's GM: can't make a tranny, a radio/nav display, trucks that won't shake, - sure do make decent small blocks though right? (yeah as long as you reprogram the ECM/TCM & pull out all the AFM hardware for aftermarket) 

GM IS A JOKE

Ilove my factort screen.  2 options. Crappy android radio or the crappy alpine restyle unit.  That i know of

I've got the Pioneer 8100(?)NEX in my truck and it's absolutely fantastic. I've never looked back. I put it in when I had less than 10k miles. It has support for multiple cameras and I can watch Netflix while driving (helped a lot when driving from San Diego to Mississippi). Worth every dime. 

If you do upgrade, make sure whatever you get has a capacitive screen. It's the only type that supports multiple finger gestures. Everything else only supports one finger. Kind of hard to zoom in on a map with just one finger... 

26 minutes ago, MN1(SW) said:

I've got the Pioneer 8100(?)NEX in my truck and it's absolutely fantastic. I've never looked back. I put it in when I had less than 10k miles. It has support for multiple cameras and I can watch Netflix while driving (helped a lot when driving from San Diego to Mississippi). Worth every dime. 

What about the other stuff aside from nav/radio that is part of the infotainment screen like displaying the temp or getting to "settings"? Or onstarr & other apps? How does the pioneer unit deal w/ that stuff? 

The touch screen in my 14 has always pretty much sucked.  It is not very sensitive, likes to randomly freeze, backup camera stays on even after in drive, and one that bothers me the most is my album art for my mp3's only about half show up.  My 18 company truck is a base WT model with a 7 inch screen that is very responsive, does not freeze up, and shows all album art on the usb drive all the time so that shows you how much they have improved over the last 5 years!

I know the radios were upgraded in 2016 not sure if they've been problematic for people because I don't have enough miles to give a fair assessment. I will say I've never used a aftermarket radio I like nearly as much and I've had a lot of double DIN units. Perhaps upgrade to the newer style?

Edited by Yondu

1 hour ago, Yondu said:

I know the radios were upgraded in 2016 not sure if they've been problematic for people because I don't have enough miles to give a fair assessment. I will say I've never used a aftermarket radio I like nearly as much and I've had a lot of double DIN units. Perhaps upgrade to the newer style?

At this point there is very little on the truck I don't think would be improved upon replacing w/ aftermarket....youtube "touchscreen failure malfunction silverado sierra" & you'll see what the problem is, I wouldn't consider ANYTHING from GM an "upgrade" nor would I hold out hope that it won't fail on me again either. I pretty much have a non-functioning interface, which when combined w/ the "leather" & non ventilated seat UPCHARGE I got w/ my AT package I essentially have an SL trim instead of an SLT truck that I paid for.

5 hours ago, crushNchowda said:

At this point there is very little on the truck I don't think would be improved upon replacing w/ aftermarket....youtube "touchscreen failure malfunction silverado sierra" & you'll see what the problem is, I wouldn't consider ANYTHING from GM an "upgrade" nor would I hold out hope that it won't fail on me again either. I pretty much have a non-functioning interface, which when combined w/ the "leather" & non ventilated seat UPCHARGE I got w/ my AT package I essentially have an SL trim instead of an SLT truck that I paid for.

I'm not sure why you would complain about not having ventilated seats in your All Terrain.  It's the option you chose and you knew it didn't have them when you bought it.  Personally I like the AT package and GMC never claimed it had vented seats. 

Sorry for your luck though.  I only have experience in the updated system and I think it's great.  Sounds like the 14-15s were problematic.  

On 10/31/2018 at 7:35 PM, Yondu said:

I'm not sure why you would complain about not having ventilated seats in your All Terrain.  It's the option you chose and you knew it didn't have them when you bought it.  Personally I like the AT package and GMC never claimed it had vented seats. 

Sorry for your luck though.  I only have experience in the updated system and I think it's great.  Sounds like the 14-15s were problematic.  

My point was they charge you the same upcharge for leather as an option w/ the AT as they do on any other truck w/ SLT trim - except every other SLT has ventilated seats & actual, somewhat durable LEATHER - the seats in the AT not only have that carbon look vinyl but the few bits of "leather" they do have is crap quality super thin & regardless of if its ventilated or not, could at least be perforated. I did realize that when I bought it, I did NOT realize the carbon vinyl side bolsters AND the leather would be of such low quality & scuff/tear if you so much as look @ it the wrong way.