Power tail gate removable?

20 minutes ago, CEL said:

61 13/16 wide 21 1/4 tall actual gate measurements there seems to be a 3/16 gap on each side of the gate

2019 Silverado 1500 Tailgate dimensions:

62 7/8" wide

25 5/8" tall

3/16" gap

Edited by z1boss

Be careful with the plastic connectors used by GM at the tailgate wiring. The male connector broke after multiple removals of the tailgate so I lost the rear camera that is mounted on the tailgate. GM charges $200 for the new plug ends and then add in the cost of an hour of shop time having them attached and two visits to the dealer.

GM uses the same clips as are found in the engine compartment or behind the dash with no thought given to unclipping them multiple times as when removing the tailgate. Folks at GM are clueless about things like this as they do not actually use their trucks. If they did then they would be using Nelson or similar connectors at the tailgate.

I would have installed a backup camera by the license plate to avoid re-connecting the camera in the tailgate but GM wants $700 for the wiring harness I would need (as compared to less than $100 with the Ford pickup).

I did use contact cleaner on the camera plugs and after they were connected I wrapped the assembly with duct tape to keep water and road grit out of the plugs.

• Thanks 1

It's not just a different size but also a different shape, and the latches are probably in different locations, and, and... it's a different gate designed for a different vehicle.

Your objective is a "power-operated gate on a 2018", right?  The objective is not really "make a 2019 gate fit on a 2018"?  You would likely be better off trying to rip the guts out of the '19 gate (or buy the parts) and retrofit them into a 2018 gate than trying to make the 2019 gate fit on a 2018.

Stick with solving the electrical and mechanical problems, don't add bodywork into the mix.  Just my $0.02.

• 5 months later...

I’m trying to take the tailgate off to put on a led strip that goes under the tailgate. I can’t get the camera to unplug. I pulled up the red tab and wiggled it but it doesn’t seem to want to come out. The plastic mount thats secured to the truck seems flimsy so I don’t want to break it. Am I missing something ?