2008 Silverado vs 2015 High Country Towing

Hey everybody, 

First time posting here. 

I currently drive an 08 Silverado ext cab, 5.3 ltr, V8 with a 4.1 rear axle gear ratio. During the summer months I haul a camper (8500lbs) 4-5 times. It’s able to tow it, but it’s pretty maxed out. 

Im looking at purchasing a 2015 High Country with a 6.2ltr V8 with a 3.23 rear axle-crew cab. The current owner says it can haul 9200lbs. Will I see a difference in towing capacity or would it not be much of an upgrade? The truck is really nice and I’m interested in buying it but not entirely sure yet. Any comments or help is appreciated!

thanks 

I wouldn't tow that close to the limit.  I think the limit is 9400lbs.   Try to find one with the max tow or a 2500.

Check these guides out.

https://www.chevrolet.com/truck-life/trailering-and-towing-guide

Especially this one:

https://www.chevrolet.com/content/dam/chevrolet/na/us/english/index/articles/truck-life/trailering-and-towing-guide/02-pdfs/bb-quantum-trailingtowing-printablechart-silverado1500-012617.pdf

Edited by m3n00b

putting a 6.2 liter in a 1/2 ton does not increase braking ability. That's what limits towing capacity as much as engine/suspension and axle ratio.

3/4 ton would be able to control that trailer much better.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MBchev said:

Hey everybody, 

First time posting here. 

I currently drive an 08 Silverado ext cab, 5.3 ltr, V8 with a 4.1 rear axle gear ratio. During the summer months I haul a camper (8500lbs) 4-5 times. It’s able to tow it, but it’s pretty maxed out. 

Im looking at purchasing a 2015 High Country with a 6.2ltr V8 with a 3.23 rear axle-crew cab. The current owner says it can haul 9200lbs. Will I see a difference in towing capacity or would it not be much of an upgrade? The truck is really nice and I’m interested in buying it but not entirely sure yet. Any comments or help is appreciated!

thanks 

Ask for the VIN and then contact GM to get the RPO list so you can be sure of the equipment that the truck has.  They can provide payload and tow ratings for you too.  NHT code would be best (max tow package)

17 hours ago, MBchev said:

As others have suggested power is not why you're maxed out.  A 3/4 ton is your best option for towing this load but a 2014+ Sierra/Silverado 1500 with the max tow (NHT) option will safely haul your trailer.  A 5.3 /3.73 is rated to pull around 11,000 lbs.

As a few others have said, 2500 or 3500 for sure.

I have personal experience towing with a 1500, 1500 max tow, and a 2500. 

The 1500 will tow it (I started a thread earlier in the week about pulling my 34' TT to winter storage, empty) but if I was towing more than 2x a year with full gear, it would NOT be a good or relaxing driving experience.

With the 1500 max tow, the truck is definitely firmer and will tow more with full gear, but you will still get the "tail wagging the dog" experience at highway speeds, making the overall journey uncomfortable at times.

Towing the 2500 is a dream, easy peasy.  Zero issues, zero tail wagging.  I towed my TT through the MT and WY mountains and it was great!  As a daily driver however, they are THIRSTY and ride like a truck.  I had mine for 2.5 years and it started getting annoying around town and since I wasn't towing as much this past season, I moved on from it.

The answer to your question is the new one will do much better than the old one. If you wanted to live with a 3/4 ton you would already be doing that. As you already probably know keeping your trailer brakes in good working order and weight distribution is key to a safe comfortable experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

Platform wise with the suspension and brakes of the 2015 you will get a much nicer that feels a little more secure.  However im not that sure about noticeable power difference.  You're loosing a lot of rear end gearing.  I would definitely look for a truck that has more towing options as stated before.  I've towed about 7700 lbs of TT with a 2008 and it was definitely a white knuckle ride.  Stepping up to a 2500 might not be worth it if you also use the truck as a daily driver.  If its more of a summer toy / just used for towing the trailer id spring for a 2500.   

5 hours ago, KARNUT said:

The answer to your question is the new one will do much better than the old one. If you wanted to live with a 3/4 ton you would already be doing that. As you already probably know keeping your trailer brakes in good working order and weight distribution is key to a safe comfortable experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

finally a post from someone with a brain.