GM Offers 18,000 Salaried Employees A Buyout

Gorehamj

I saw a report on Fox that it was white collar jobs. Could have something to do redundancies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We just went through something similar this last winter. Had to reapply for my job. After all said and done not much changed in my department other than now people are leaving the company. Lots of jobs out there and people can pick and choose more.

Ryan B.
  • Like 1

I work for a tech GIANT.. Offshore staffing is 2,3 or as much as 4 to 1 vs US staffing depending on the offshore country.

This has been going on for years and continues.  All you need a computer and the internet to get the bits and bytes across the ponds.

I've seen many, many colleagues get replaced by offshore developers. I don't know who does all of GM's coding, but I would bet a lot of it is done on foreign soil.

21 hours ago, Sierra Dan said:

This is a new trend and not only GM's idea, unfortunately.

Most of these new young hires have mounting student loan debt and how or why would they be willing to work for less straight out of school?

Seems to defeat the purpose of an education to me.

In the TECH world, there may be many people that do the same job but are at different 'levels' of employment.

For example, a guy that's been at the company for 20 years may be a 'level' 9 making $140k  a year writing code..

They hire a recent college grad who is doing the same job, but enters the company at a 'level' 5 making $80k a year, which is amazing to a 22 year old kid just getting his feet wet. It will take time for that 'new' guy to reach the level 9 of the 20 year guy. In the meantime, the company saves $$$$!

Same job, different level of experience, which may not mean much when writing code. In fact the recent grad could be a 'better' coder than the 20 year guy and get more done more quickly. I guess, my point is out with the old(higher paid), in with the new(lesser paid). 

If it's offshore, they can replace the $140k guy with 3 guys!

Edited by Loco-diablo
  • Like 1

We just went through something similar this last winter. Had to reapply for my job. After all said and done not much changed in my department other than now people are leaving the company. Lots of jobs out there and people can pick and choose more.

Ryan B.
Im glad I’m retired

• Haha 1

On 10/31/2018 at 5:19 PM, newdude said:

So what do they want to do, hire a bunch of 18-30 year olds who have no clue what they are doing and are just a bunch of memeing hipsters?  So they can bring them in on a way lower dollar amount then they are spending? 

On 11/1/2018 at 11:58 AM, Sierra Dan said:

This is a new trend and not only GM's idea, unfortunately.

Very true.  I work for a huge food manufacturing company and it's the same thing here; seems like the 50+ crowd (of which I'm one) is being aimed toward the door so they can flood the place with millennials.  Since that's a generation known for not only a short attention span, but for not wanting to be attached to anything - owning a car, a home, most of their personal contact is via a phone - it seems odd company's are skewing their work force in that direction.  If the stereotypical description holds true they're likely to bounce from company to company without giving it much thought.  Guess there's something to say for the loyalty of us old guys...  :P

Waaay back in the seventies my aunt was nearing retirement for ma bell in New Jersey. Every now and then when I was calling the office from a pay phone I’d get her as an operator. About 5 years from retirement they started to move her all over the state at different locations and different shifts trying to get her to take early retirement. She said it was brutal, but she held out.

• Like 1

They tore us 50+ guys off in three layers adding one of two 18 year old interns to keep age discrimination suits at bay and gave a 1 year severance to those who waved their right to sue for cause. Bribes work. A tap on the shoulder was your notice. At round three the entire building walked to the parking lot. They got the message and started giving two months and relocation services to those who wished it. Then the rehire. Yep, those just out of school that would work for 30 cents on the dollar and no benefits. I met the guy who canned me in the unemployment line and I laughed as he believed his Ivy education would save him.

Only one person in 30 years ever retired from that place.  

11 hours ago, Zane said:

Every time GM finishes one of these buyouts and new hires are brought in, the quality and consistency of my ability to communicate with GM as a whole drops significantly. The difference in the last 10 years is STAGGERING.

it sucks, doesn't it, Zane.  You like many of us are realizing just how bad things have and continue to get.  <sigh>  It is frustrating. 

Don't worry folks. When GM's profit margin falls and the  customers are no longer choosing GM products, the company will then make adjustments. Doesn't anyone remember the 80's? You know, boxy cars and trucks that were replaced by Ford's soft-lined vehicles. It took GM forever to catch back up. Different decade but same mistakes again.

In my industry, you get what you pay for.
I have been at the same position for 21 years and no new college grad can touch my knowledge and experience no matter how much schooling they have.

Stability is good.

But there’s also a saying that often rings true:
If you can’t be replaced, you can’t be promoted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

51 minutes ago, pronstar said:

Stability is good.

But there’s also a saying that often rings true:
If you can’t be replaced, you can’t be promoted.

How about the saying, "No work, no food". I guess people over 50 live on air. :lol:

Autonomous vehicles are the future, like it or not.  They will be a huge amount of talent needed in that field.  It's tough to get people set in their way to change their way.  GM is doing this in the best way for the target group.  Getting turfed while in your 50's pretty much puts you into early retirement, or a change career.  By choosing people in their 30s and 40s it makes it easier for them to get a job. Haven't read their proposal on this, but, I would imagine they will be providing resume courses, as well as job hunting skills. Don't know the rules in the USA regarding pension plan contributions, but in Canada any self contributions that are matched by the company become locked it and fully vested at 10 years.  If they are let go at 35 yrs old, they will still get a pension at 65. It won't be the same pension as if they stayed, but, added to the pension they get from their new employer it will still help. 

The offerings that GM is making is for their salleried employees only, so that means non union employees.  Those employees don't have the same benefit load that union employees have.  The jobs will have set wage levels that will be applied to new employees.  I don't think GM is doing this for money reasons, they are simply looking to cut redundancy, and pick up new employees with a better fit to emerging technologies.