T1 6.2 letdown?

On ‎2018‎-‎11‎-‎10 at 2:08 PM, NWI Denali said:

I discovered that detent after I did the gas pedal flex mod, and i actually thought it my pedal was binding up on something after i put the shim in. Then I started googling things and found there is actually a section in the owner's manual about the kickdown detent on the 6.2. Odd that only the 6.2 has it and not the 5.3.

In my experience, when I had the stock SRA's on, if you punched the truck to pass someone on a rain covered road around 40mph, it would try to break them loose before T/C corrected it. Would the detent be there to perhaps prevent accidental "full power accelerations" when not desired? Even without punching it the truck will easily get out and walk around a transport, maybe it was an attempt at a safety feature?

Where most trucks I drive are doing maybe 120kph (74mph) when I pass a transport, the speed-o often hits 145kph (90mph) with the 6.2L. That is a huge difference. 

6.2 lost to the 5.0 coyote now lol. Granted the Ford was a 2wd so a little lighter, but it also only had 3.15's. Just look in the camera view from the very last race (the second f150/sierra race) and look how strongly the coyote is pulling up top...

Here's shootout results from pickuptrucks.com done in a controlled environment. The results will surprise and go against the narrative of many here. I'm also surprised this hasn't been posted yet unless I missed it.

https://news.pickuptrucks.com/2018/11/2018-best-half-ton-truck-challenge-how-we-tested.html

A flaw in this shootout is that one of the GM's should've been a 5.3/3.23 to see how it would've stacked up especially to the Hemi/3.92. Hemi trucks are fun to drive because they set it up to be aggressive but SOTP is different than real results. You can cherry pick all day long in but there's nothing like all the trucks being run at the same time, same place with the same driver to remove the variables.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, f8l vnm said:

I know the SLT is 600 pounds heavier but to get pulled on up top by the smaller 5.0 is just sad. 

Anyone know gears on these trucks ? By the way the Nissan sounds ****in awesome 

I literally just posted that video 3 posts above you lol. And yes, how much the coyote is pulling on the 6.2 up top is disappointing. The 6.2 has 3.42's and the 5.0 has 3.15's. So that eliminates everyones usual excuse of GM's tall gearing.

4 hours ago, NWI Denali said:

I literally just posted that video 3 posts above you lol. And yes, how much the coyote is pulling on the 6.2 up top is disappointing. The 6.2 has 3.42's and the 5.0 has 3.15's. So that eliminates everyones usual excuse of GM's tall gearing.

Love the tfl guys 

10 hours ago, magnum74 said:

Here's shootout results from pickuptrucks.com done in a controlled environment. The results will surprise and go against the narrative of many here. I'm also surprised this hasn't been posted yet unless I missed it.

https://news.pickuptrucks.com/2018/11/2018-best-half-ton-truck-challenge-how-we-tested.html

The part of this that caught my eye was how close the Chevy and the GMC were despite one having the max tow package thus the lower gears.  Also the stopping distances loaded vs unloaded were exceptionally close which doesn’t make a whole lot of sense when one has max payload in the bed. 

On 11/9/2018 at 7:23 PM, GMC-AT said:

I would like to see the difference comparing the 2019 -  5.3, 8 speed vs 6.2, 10 speed. 

I bet it's not that much... 

Has there been a believable comparison yet?  I've seen some but not back to back under the same circumstances (elevation, temp, etc.).  

Side note: I finally got around to driving a 2019 Silverado 5.3 Z71 and it felt plenty quick.  Felt about the same as my old 2016 Yukon Denal which was no slouch.  Not sure I want to pay extra for the 6.2 and continue paying for premium.  

4 hours ago, flowbytwo said:

The part of this that caught my eye was how close the Chevy and the GMC were despite one having the max tow package thus the lower gears.  Also the stopping distances loaded vs unloaded were exceptionally close which doesn’t make a whole lot of sense when one has max payload in the bed. 

Basically no difference. Also, Ram with 3.92's might have been more comparable to a 5.3/3.23's but there's no way to substantiate it from these results. Maybe if the Ecoboost had 4.56 gears it would slayed, who knows.

boys if you want a drag car, go buy a drag car... where talkin about trucks.  its called off roading, pulling shit and hauling stuff. Come on if you want to drag down a drag strip give me a vet l1 or such and then will talk.

• Thanks 1

Drag racing is just an easy way to benchmark performance. GM claims the truck is lighter this year and has 400+ horsepower. Based on these performance tests it means to me that yes, this is probably about right. If I was really only concerned about going fast in a straight line then sure a vette would do it however I am actually interested in what the numbers say about differences between these trucks. 

Myself I am mostly interested in towing performance for my 7000lbs camper. The review I quoted from above seemed to indicate the trucks are quite capable in a quantitative way and that the elusive max tow package that wasnt available on the AT4 I ordered is no great loss. 

I think the differences between all of the trucks are close enough that they’ll all due the job well. To me it comes down how they actually drive, ride, then features, and styling etc.  

What I like about the Ram is it’s exceptionally smooth and feels quicker than it is.  I’ve been happy with my 14 Laramie.  On the downside, they are heavy, and have limited cargo capacity compared to GM Ford etc.  

The ford in the video is not representative of what most of us would buy, so I think the comparison doesn’t mean much.  The coyote can turn higher rpm, that’s usually an advantage for acceleration, as it can stay in a lower gear longer to take advantage of gearing, HP does matter and the 6.2 only has 20 more, the Ford being 600 lbs lighter is substantial.  Plus with a 10 speed the rear end ratio is not as critical and may mean the Ford with a higher rpm shift point, shifted less.  This all speculation of course.

I really like the 5.0, but my guess is the 6.2, will offer a better towing performance by having a lot more torque at lower rpm.  Which also will show itself in day to day driving as well.

11 hours ago, 2fst4u said:

boys if you want a drag car, go buy a drag car... where talkin about trucks.  its called off roading, pulling shit and hauling stuff. Come on if you want to drag down a drag strip give me a vet l1 or such and then will talk.

Lame.  Why would you drag race a Vette when a top-fuel car is better?  Vettes are sports cars, not drag cars.  Vettes are for cruising the California coast with the top down on the weekend.

Just love it when some guy judges exactly what other people need to be doing and how lol.

Edited by DaverSomethingSomething