LUXURY TRUCK FACEOFF -- 2019 Chevy Silverado vs. 2019 RAM 1500

I do a lot of night driving. The first thing I do is dim all the instrument lighting as low as possible so it is not affecting me. The last thing I want is a giant iPad with a white backlight in my face all the time while trying to drive. Can you turn the Ram's screen off or just have it display black with the time are radio info? 

• Like 1

On 11/5/2018 at 9:59 PM, flowbytwo said:

The giant screen in the ram is flashy and every reviewer seems to love it which is a shame because I feel like it is a step backward in usability and function from what GM has... and given the constant denigrating commentary towards the GM I fear the next version will go for look at me distraction over useful capability. 

I sat in the new RAM, I own a '14 slt, and have had 24hours with the '19 denali

The RAM interior is freaking amazing and blows our trucks interiors out of the water. It almost makes me want to buy an FCA product. I would never actually pull the trigger, but it certainly makes a lot more sense now.

It may be a crappy truck, but it's an awesome crappy truck

Interior is mostly personal preference certainly.  In my opinion the giant screen is an unrefined and lame attempt to add wow factor that is simply lacking in real usability. 

An example of what I would call a ‘good design’ direction would be the new Range Rover Sport which has two screens that are fully touch based but are better integrated into the overall interior. The upper screen has is adjustable to angle the screen for the drivers height and cuts glare. The resolution and color quality is superb. One giant screen can’t reflect the arc your arm takes from dash to console because it is a giant flat slab. It also doesn’t even match the format of the kind of information that it needs to display as seen in every demo video where the screen is frequently split in half top to bottom anyway. 

Similar to the Dodge I have always thought the giant Telsa screen was horrendous and a terrible idea for anyone who gets out of the city where it is dark. LCD screens leak tons of light even when black. OLEDs are better but are not made that big. That much interior light makes it hard to keep your eyes adjusted to see critters on the sides of the road.

So in my opinion (like an **** everyone has one and most are full of..) the large screen fails on the looks/design/usability/style fronts and overall is a lame system I hope GM never adopts. 

On 11/6/2018 at 3:32 PM, Sierra Dan said:

My 2000 5.3 Xcab Z71 was a great truck until it developed piston slap at about 48K

Traded it in for a Hummer H2 :thumbs:

Do you still have the H2?

My dad has owned 3 H2s over the years and I still love that car.  He currently has a 2004 silver H2.