What is unique about the Max Trailering package on the 6.2L?

15 minutes ago, SierraHD17 said:

All 6.2 trucks have that weirdo 9.76" rear end whether they come max trailer or not.   The op knows this but it still gets debated lol.

I didn't see any debate?

Max trailer gets 3.42 ratio, it's the only one to get that ratio.

2 hours ago, KARNUT said:

It’s been awhile and could be changes since. When I hauled my equipment for shows and demos I would have a combo registration. Id usually be registered for 30K with a one ton and gooseneck trailer. I would go all over the U.S. through the scales never had a second look. As long as you have your load right and it doesn’t look unsafe no problems. If you’re dragging your back bumper or going 35 Mph on the interstate, they’ll give you a look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree if you have a well kept unit 99% you will get waved through.

We have a single DOT weigh station on a intersection where all trucks must stop. The local farmers(focusing on duallys) have wives or hired hands that would drive on by, and if they had a fuel tank in the bed or were pulling ANY trailer would them get pulled over. Only the hired hands get tickets but it is very annoying for people that are "exempt". One farmer in particular has a field lane less than 50' from the station and has to run through every-time, his last straw was when his bought out lunch and one of them followed her in. Last I knew 3 guys got rid of their duallys.

They have also been ticketing everyone for leaving receivers in.

A couple others said the regular 6.2 gets the 9.5"... just have to read the thread lol.  3.42 is such a pathetic upgrade... good old undergeared GM lol.

3.42 with the 8 speed is a great ratio. Not sure what’s pathetic about it... beats the heck out of 3.73 with the 6 speed and gains some highway mileage to boot.

• Like 1

The max trailer tows very well, the OP asked for what it is, not for all our opinions haha. I think for the $974 dollar upcharge, the mirrors, rear gearing, and more sure footed rear suspension is all well worth it. The mirrors are great, even for just daily non tow use. All the others are just extras.

Let’s be real, if you’re going to pull 10k+ lbs regularly, grab a 2500. But if you want to pull 6-8000 really, really well, the max tow is a great in between truck. I don’t know we’ll how a NON max tow will tow 8000lbs, I’ve never done it, so can’t comment on that.

For me, i tow a 7500lb open car Hauler with everything loaded up, and it tows night and day better than my old ram 1500 (with 3.92’s), gets much better fuel mileage. I drove a few 2500’s and while the truck is my wife’s grocery getter, i could not stand to put her in a 2500 for publix runs, too much risk and frustration involved.

Edited by txab
  • Like 2

DOT looks at registered weight, not GVWR of the vehicle towing. The have stipulations by state on how much a 4 wheel truck vs 6 wheel vs 3 axle vs ect can legally carry. Of course there are stipulations to this and if you look over weight or poorly loaded you will probably have a problem.  My point is though that you can upgrade your truck to carry more weight and be legal to do it if the registration shows the correct weight.

• Like 1

The Max Tow Package is a killer deal for what you get and even though I’m sure the tow ratings are up there there’s not a snowballs chance in hell I’d choose a half ton to tow 10K anything, I’d run out and pickup the king, DMax. Actually I’d wait till 2022 [emoji39]

Sent from above

Edited by txab
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Move Over said:

There’s still ‘18s on dealer lots. Just gotta look. There were 4-5 in FL last month. I scooped mine up new, 4x4 with the 6.2 about 5 weeks ago.

I just bought mine 2.5 weeks ago.  Dealer had 800 2018 Sierras on the lot or in transit to the lot.  Yes, 800.  That has zero to do with not a single unit I have found anywhere has the max tow package.

5 hours ago, Kubs said:

The max tow gets lots of things that also come on the top level trims, but the little extras include:

Transmission cooler

Higher rate rear springs (for increased GVWR)

re-valved shocks (Not as stiff as Z71 Ranchos and very bouncy. junk, replace with Bilstein)

Towing mirrors

9.76" rear axle

Also, most of these things can be had for a little less money on the Max Tow package than getting a Premium or top tier package.

What is the transmission cooler?  Is it an external?  Is it integrated but a different radiator setup?  Is it just marketing and the same thing all the trucks get?  Just like the 9.76" is marketing - ALL 6.2L trucks get those regardless of the package.  What is different on the rear springs - P/N?  Same for the shocks; would the Z71 be a better overall shock?

5 hours ago, Move Over said:

They can definitely be found. 

Can you show me just one new '18 with the Max Tow for sale?  I looked through 4 different states and found zero, which is partly why I didn't buy a truck with Max Tow.

17 hours ago, Nitrousbird said:

What is the transmission cooler?  Is it an external?  Is it integrated but a different radiator setup?  Is it just marketing and the same thing all the trucks get?  Just like the 9.76" is marketing - ALL 6.2L trucks get those regardless of the package.  What is different on the rear springs - P/N?  Same for the shocks; would the Z71 be a better overall shock?

It is listed as an added auxiliary cooler.  I think it is in addition to the standard one, but I cannot tell you if it is integrated or external.  I have not been crawling around mine to look for it.

I do not have a part number for the springs, but standing in the bed of mine vs a Z71 it does feel slightly more stiff. The Z71 shocks are better all around than the max tow.  My brother has a Z71 and I have a max tow so I have experienced both.  The Bilstein blows both out of the water though.

It is listed as an added auxiliary cooler.  I think it is in addition to the standard one, but I cannot tell you if it is integrated or external.  I have not been crawling around mine to look for it.

I do not have a part number for the springs, but standing in the bed of mine vs a Z71 it does feel slightly more stiff. The Z71 shocks are better all around than the max tow.  My brother has a Z71 and I have a max tow so I have experienced both.  The Bilstein blows both out of the water though.

I immediately put bilsteins on my max tow, i immediately noticed a difference in the front, the rears not so much. I did a little “dampening test” with both shocks off the vehicle and the rear max tow shocks had very similar response (both compression and rebound) times to the rear bilsteins.

The fronts however had a stiffer compression (more effort to push down) and similar rebound. The front has no more bounce on the highway without being too firm.

Granted this is not a very scientific test as it’s no shock dump [emoji38], it’s a way to compare the two back to back.

I also have a set of airlift airbags on the rear to compensate for the small front lift i did. Helps with headlight aiming and trailers that you’re unable to use a WDH on.

There is a significant difference with Bilsteins towing, the rear bobs much less loaded and the ride empty is fine.

Finding a max tow 1/2 ton is worth the battle, it is a better truck all around.

Yes there is an additional external trans cooler included

Edited by powerhaulic
  • Like 1