2019 Sierra Denali vs 2018 Sierra Denali

kuslamb

I have driven both trucks over the past week.  My takeaway:

Quick background - 2 current vehicles are a 2013 AWD Acadia Denali (Wife) and a 2015 4WD Yukon XL Denali 6.2L (Me) - My wife needs more space, I do not.  3 kids, 2 in boosters, 1 in full harness.  I previously drove a 99 Silverado, then a 2006 Tahoe, then a 2012 Suburban.  I will get a truck before the end of the year, she will get a new Yukon Denali XL sometime soon, potentially before the end of the year.

2019 4WD Sierra Denali 6.2L - I really like the exterior.  A lot.  The tailgate is cool, but honestly something I wouldn't really use that often.  But that doesn't mean its not a really smart design and that others would use it.  Really like the rear bumper incorporating the exhaust.  Motor and transmission felt very solid, strong and smooth.  I did notice during 2 quick trips pretty significant shudder which was also noticed by my wife and kids.  I thought that the 4WD and been kicked on and that the front was pulling causing it, but it was not.  The interior is spacious and comfortable, but feels incomplete.  The screen is small.  The software feels dated, even compared to my 2015 XL.  The center screen on the cluster isn't as good as the 2015 XL - Especially in Navigation mode where the screen shows a moving image of the Nav.  The truck has the technology package which I find awesome - I really like the 'Rear Camera Mirror' and the 'HD Surround Vision' are very cool features.  The mirror probably a fun feature, the surround vision a very nice feature that adds to safety and ease of drive.  The floor covers are great, much nicer than my weather techs in my XL.  Push button ignition is great, I really like it on my XL.  The location of the button is awkward though.  Still no adaptive cruise, which is a feature I am used to and really like.  The HUD looked nice, but I found it unusable - I couldn't move the HUD up to where I could see it.  I searched and searched (the manual wasn't in the truck) but could only locate the rotation of the HUD, not the vertical positioning of the HUD.  With where it was located on my windshield, it was unusable and an annoyance.  If it cannot be moved vertically, I would turn it off.  I assume I just missed it, but I couldn't find it.

2018 4WD Sierra Denali 6.2L - I have always liked the exterior styling.  While its the outgoing generation, it doesn't feel too dated.  I am also very familiar with the interior which I think is nicer than the 2019 Sierra Denali.  I do miss the rising center screen that my XL has and was disappointed to see it wasn't included in the 2018 Sierra.  Its a good spot to stash things out of site.  Also, no push button start.  Each time I hope in, I have to dig my keys out of my pocket and turn the key - I acknowledge, this isn't a huge deal, but after 4 years of push button I am programmed.  The technology is good, the HUD is good, the ride, feel, power, steering is all good.  If I could pick 1 feature of the 2019 that I would want, it would be a toss up between push button start and he 'HD surround vision'.

So, based on the price of the 2019 @ $70,000 and the 2018 @ $65,000, there isn't much of a difference.  I didn't get into pricing with my neighbor (part of the ownership of the dealership) on the 2019.  On the 2018 there are $11,000 in rebates.  So, for my comparison, I am considering the 2019 @ $65,000 and the 2018 @ $54,000.  

I am really close to purchasing the 2018 - I think what it has in polish of being the consistent platform for 5 years outweighs the newness of the 2019 and additional cool features, while lacking the interior comforts that I am accustomed to in my XL.  I think that I will end up 'trading up' to a 2020+ Sierra Denali in a couple years, and based on speculation in the automotive publications, the interior will be 'spruced up' by then.  

Curious to hear other opinions between the 2 generations and if my opinions are consistent with others.

I went with a 2018 Denali 3 weeks ago actually 2 of them. One for me and one for my Dad.

Pretty easy to get $16000 off MSRP on the 2018 Denali's.  MSRP was $65,660 on mine and I paid $49689+ tax.  Dad's wasn't quite  as good of a deal as the dealer had to get it from another dealer 3 states away.

Still got $15100 off MSRP though.

The we removed the tri mode steps off both trucks and sold them for $500 each.

2019 just didn't do it for me.

Edited by jericbarg
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, jericbarg said:

I went with a 2018 Denali 3 weeks ago actually 2 of them. One for me and one for my Dad.

Pretty easy to get $16000 off MSRP on the 2018 Denali's.  MSRP was $65,660 on mine and I paid $49689+ tax.  Dad's wasn't quite  as good of a deal as the dealer had to get it from another dealer 3 states away.

Still got $15100 off MSRP though.

The we removed the tri mode steps off both trucks and sold them for $500 each.

2019 just didn't do it for me.

Good deals, both times.  I wanted the 2019 to work for me.

I  have an '18 with 5800 miles. dash and center console rattle like crazy, more so when cold. the interior is dated, same  as in 2015. I hate the keyed ignition. had a Ford and a Ram with push button start, proximity sensors, and sensors in the handles that would open and lock the doors with touch. I really miss those.

I have only had my truck since June,  I am already looking at new ones. Gonna wait until the 2020 HDs are out. If I were you, I would really look at the '19 again.