16-NA-175 8 Speed Shudder UPDATE

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/8/2018 at 10:36 PM, SkiDooNick700 said:

Hmm interesting.  Can anyone give a deeper explanation about what the TCC shudder feels like?

The last month my truck has started randomly doing a quick vibration (fast paced vibration like driving over rumble strips on highway) that typically lasts a second or less.  Sometimes it will do it multiple times over a perioid of several seconds, other times its just a quick vibration.  Its a pretty significant vibration, I really can feel it in the steering wheel and the entire column shakes.   Seems like all interior pieces vibrate as well.

I'm not able to duplicate the issue. 

15 6.2 w/ 8spd and 43k miles.   

I have the same truck and it started the same way. It will get progressively worse until it's always happening during highway driving. I tried multiple upgrades to the truck and it seemed to get rid of the problem, but over time came back. The dealer did the flush under the powertrain warranty and finally i have a flawless truck.

4 hours ago, Abiker21 said:

I have the same truck and it started the same way. It will get progressively worse until it's always happening during highway driving. I tried multiple upgrades to the truck and it seemed to get rid of the problem, but over time came back. The dealer did the flush under the powertrain warranty and finally i have a flawless truck.

I sure hope you don’t experience the same thing as before...how long ago for your drain/flush and in the past how long before the problems came back? I am optimistically wishing the best for ya ?

8 minutes ago, SS502 said:

I sure hope you don’t experience the same thing as before...how long ago for your drain/flush and in the past how long before the problems came back? I am optimistically wishing the best for ya ?

For me, I did my first flush about 2 years ago and it lasted a month or two.  They then did the TC replacement and flush and it seemed to last until about 2 months ago.  Talking to the service advisor they have been through at least 3 different fluids for this.

3 minutes ago, dwchapmanjr said:

For me, I did my first flush about 2 years ago and it lasted a month or two.  They then did the TC replacement and flush and it seemed to last until about 2 months ago.  Talking to the service advisor they have been through at least 3 different fluids for this.

Oh, thought you said you had a flawless truck now, assumed they did the new fluid and all was good now...

Just now, SS502 said:

Oh, thought you said you had a flawless truck now, assumed they did the new fluid and all was good now...

Yes, with the brand new fluid flush it's been flawless for the past couple of weeks.  Even the clunky shifts, delayed garage shifts and sometimes generally rough shifts are gone but this also happened 2 years ago after the TC replacement so time will tell.  As I understand it its an accumulation of moisture in the fluid that causes the issues and it builds up over time, particularly in high humidity areas.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, dwchapmanjr said:

Yes, with the brand new fluid flush it's been flawless for the past couple of weeks.  Even the clunky shifts, delayed garage shifts and sometimes generally rough shifts are gone but this also happened 2 years ago after the TC replacement so time will tell.  As I understand it its an accumulation of moisture in the fluid that causes the issues and it builds up over time, particularly in high humidity areas.

Great, then my optimism for a fix for you is warranted! Please keep us updated as the miles/time pass ?

Edited by SS502

10 hours ago, SS502 said:

I've only put a couple of thousand miles on the truck since my first flush. Before the flush. I put road master springs on(love them) drives like a caddy the shudder went away for a couple of years and when i programmed the truck it went away for a long time. I deprogrammed it and the problem started showing up so I could bring it in under warranty. It became constant and I tried programming. It didn't keep the shudder away for more than a month. 

I brought  my 16 Sierra 8 speed in for The NEW 19 flush, ( Dodge dealer I bought  it from ) they gave me a Dodge loaner, NICE Truck  17 Big Horn , they sent it across the street to a LARGE  Chevy dealer who agreed to do NEW flush , I then got a call from Dodge dealer saying that Chevy dealer couldn't replicate the shutter, the clunking , the surging I experienced and so They wouldn't perform The flush , I then called my lawyer in Ct.he said tell them I want my money back which I did, the service manager then had me talk to the General Manager and he said he would look into it . I then received a call back from  the Dodge service manager saying they would  pay for Chevy to do the Flush ! I told them dont do anything till I talk to my attorney  ! I haven't heard from him yet , at this point I dont want to be stuck with a 2016 Truck that Clunks , shudders and surges  ! What you all think ?  I paid $33,000.00  for this Truck plus tax and fees and interest.  I really am feeling like my attorney  suggested  I should  get my money back ! ! !

2 minutes ago, Snowmobile Mike said:

I brought  my 16 Sierra 8 speed in for The NEW 19 flush, ( Dodge dealer I bought  it from ) they gave me a Dodge loaner, NICE Truck  17 Big Horn , they sent it across the street to a LARGE  Chevy dealer who agreed to do NEW flush , I then got a call from Dodge dealer saying that Chevy dealer couldn't replicate the shutter, the clunking , the surging I experienced and so They wouldn't perform The flush , I then called my lawyer in Ct.he said tell them I want my money back which I did, the service manager then had me talk to the General Manager and he said he would look into it . I then received a call back from  the Dodge service manager saying they would  pay for Chevy to do the Flush ! I told them dont do anything till I talk to my attorney  ! I haven't heard from him yet , at this point I dont want to be stuck with a 2016 Truck that Clunks , shudders and surges  ! What you all think ?  I paid $33,000.00  for this Truck plus tax and fees and interest.  I really am feeling like my attorney  suggested  I should  get my money back ! ! !

I'm 3 weeks out from my flush and its perfect.  The delayed garage shifts are gone, no clunking and shudder completely gone, haven't had a rough shift since but time will tell for sure because I've done this before and the torque converter replacement and flush I did last time lasted 2 years.  They claim this is the "permanent" fix but there's no telling if that will be the case.  For me, if I have to flush it every 2 years I'd probably just deal with that and pay for it myself if I had to because I like everything else about the truck.

3 minutes ago, dwchapmanjr said:

I'm 3 weeks out from my flush and its perfect.  The delayed garage shifts are gone, no clunking and shudder completely gone, haven't had a rough shift since but time will tell for sure because I've done this before and the torque converter replacement and flush I did last time lasted 2 years.  They claim this is the "permanent" fix but there's no telling if that will be the case.  For me, if I have to flush it every 2 years I'd probably just deal with that and pay for it myself if I had to because I like everything else about the truck.

I do like the truck but Ive had two other trucks before this one and NEVER had issues like this ! I did have a Mercury that had a shudder, new fluid and it was gone , BUT it came back and next fluid change didn't work  ! Did YOU EVER have the , I THOUGHT I GOT REAR ENDED SURGE THING with your Sierra ? How many miles do you do a year ? I have kept my last two trucks 15 years each !  So I'm inclined to get rid of it ,since its work vehicle and Cant be dealing with back and forth to dealer thing ! Thanks for the response  ?

1 minute ago, Snowmobile Mike said:

I do like the truck but Ive had two other trucks before this one and NEVER had issues like this ! I did have a Mercury that had a shudder, new fluid and it was gone , BUT it came back and next fluid change didn't work  ! Did YOU EVER have the , I THOUGHT I GOT REAR ENDED SURGE THING with your Sierra ? How many miles do you do a year ? I have kept my last two trucks 15 years each !  So I'm inclined to get rid of it ,since its work vehicle and Cant be dealing with back and forth to dealer thing ! Thanks for the response  ?

Its an issue specifically with the 8L90 (8 speed) 2015-2017 and possibly 2018 too so it affects a ton of GM vehicles.  Due to the wide impact I am sure they really want to fix this and this might finally be the permanent one.  Mine is actually a Yukon though.  Or they may just start phasing in the 10L90 to replace it but I hear that has some similar problems.  

Mine is a 2015 and I just hit 31k miles.  My normal driving though doesn't typically lend to reproducing the issue.  Most of mine is 40mph back road driving and when I'm on the highway its short enough to be regular acceleration up to highway speed and then pretty quickly slowing down to exit.  If you're on the highway a lot and cruising, you're more likely to run into this a lot.

I occasionally had the surge but that's very rare, could be grade baking and you can turn that off by holding the tow button for 5 seconds.

If you're at a point where they will actually take it back, could be your best bet because if you do the flush and it comes back a year later you will have substantially less leverage to turn it back in.

I just had my flush done yesterday mine is a 18 they also did a relearn. Right after they did yours did it still feel clunky. Mine seems clunky somewhat I assume and they said it’s still in relearn give it 200 miles or so. Idk I’m no expert but not sure what the re learn has to do with clunky shifts. I mean learning your drive habit I get but.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Jaychevy81 said:

I just had my flush done yesterday mine is a 18 they also did a relearn. Right after they did yours did it still feel clunky. Mine seems clunky somewhat I assume and they said it’s still in relearn give it 200 miles or so. Idk I’m no expert but not sure what the re learn has to do with clunky shifts. I mean learning your drive habit I get but.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine was flawless and perfect but I think the dealer went through half a tank of gas while they had it so they may have driven it a bit to go through a relearn if they did one.  I think the procedure usually calls for it.

Did your dealer cite 18-NA-355 or a different procedure?  18-NA-355 is the latest and the latest fluid is 19417577.

They claimed they put a new programming on mine.  Not sure what the programming was for but it seems to keep AFM engaged longer during times when a shudder would have normally happened.

They didn't indicate whether they did a relearn or not but I've had relearns done in the past and it was clunky for 100-200 miles afterwards.  They may not be able to tell you but did they do a relearn or fast relearn?

As I understand it, the constant learn and relearn is needed because the tolerances on the 8 speed (and probably 6 speed) are so tight that even two otherwise identical 8L90s could have slightly different pressures needed and over time these change so it is constantly learning.  They do a relearn so that it learns these all over again incase it has learned some "bad habits" during the shudder.