In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Sign in to follow this  
newdude

16-NA-175 8 Speed Shudder UPDATE

36 minutes ago, AdioSS said:

Reading this thread gives me hope & pisses me off at the same time. My 18 Sierra developed the shudder early on. I took it to the dealer for the first oil change a couple hundred miles ago. They said I do have the shudder (duh), but they have several customers ahead of me “waiting on parts” & will contact me when they come in... 

It is just a thorough fluid flush, right? 

Yes, there is an updated fluid that came out this past January. 

Have contacted an outstanding repair shop in Cypress Texas called Skeeters.  They were not convinced it's a torque converter and sent me a copy of a service bulletin which suggests replacing the brake pedal position sensor which may actually be the part responsible.   It discusses that there is a very particular voltage range that must be maintain, if not it can interact both with the brakes and the torque converter to cause this shudder.  Also, I found that the shudder is dramatically lessened by disengaging the the TC system with the switch.   I am going to replace the BPPS to see if that further helps.  The BPPS is less than $30 and takes less than 5 minutes to replace. 

Just had mine done yesterday and I definitely noticed an improvement. The fix is new fluid and they flush it with 20+ quarts to get all the old fluid out. 

29 minutes ago, nobaddays said:

Just had mine done yesterday and I definitely noticed an improvement. The fix is new fluid and they flush it with 20+ quarts to get all the old fluid out. 

I'm about 7 months out.  It had that "caddy" ride for about a month but back to factory normal now.  Sometimes clunky shifts, etc but what I would expect from a truck transmission so no complaints.

I noticed AFM stays engaged more even under slight pedal press so they modified the sensitivity on that with new programming so it has a slight vibration at even lower RPMs like 1100 if you have some slight acceleration which is what I think they were trying to avoid with the TCC pulsation to begin with.

On 8/24/2019 at 12:49 PM, Boomer727 said:

Have contacted an outstanding repair shop in Cypress Texas called Skeeters.  They were not convinced it's a torque converter and sent me a copy of a service bulletin which suggests replacing the brake pedal position sensor which may actually be the part responsible.   It discusses that there is a very particular voltage range that must be maintain, if not it can interact both with the brakes and the torque converter to cause this shudder.  Also, I found that the shudder is dramatically lessened by disengaging the the TC system with the switch.   I am going to replace the BPPS to see if that further helps.  The BPPS is less than $30 and takes less than 5 minutes to replace. 

did this fix your shudder problem? that seems a little far fetched for a cure

2 hours ago, MD11G200 said:

did this fix your shudder problem? that seems a little far fetched for a cure

I'd be interested to know too.  I mean, each case/issue can be unique but there is definitely a TCC/fluid issue that's known.  My 2004 Canyon BPPS did go out a few times and was recalled 1-2 times.  While it was less sophisticated, it only resulted in the break lights not working and cruise control being disabled but I could see where a pulsating signal may cause some issues.

If this didn't fix the issue, since Boomer727 is in the metro area, I'd recommend Mack Haik Chevrolet.  They did my last fluid flush and that seems to have fixed it for now.  Its only been about 10 months though.  Not sure what the cost would be out of warranty though.  I still have about 9 months left on my powertrane warranty.

I had my fluid flush at the end of 2018 and it worked well, but this past week had my transmission temp sensor harness replaced for P0711 under the powertrain warranty(inside the transmission) . My point is I had a code but the light never came on. By the time it hard failed I probably would have been out of warranty and driven on an erratic transmission for months. They misdiagnosed the problem and I paid for a new TCM. After too many bad experiences with Chevy dealerships, I now only take my truck to GMC. Better customer support and they appropriately diagnosed and fixed my transmission under warranty. Keep an eye on your trans temp while warming up. It should only increase. Mine was jumping all over and occasionally dash out. 

I had my fluid flush at the end of 2018 and it worked well, but this past week had my transmission temp sensor harness replaced for P0711 under the powertrain warranty(inside the transmission) . My point is I had a code but the light never came on. By the time it hard failed I probably would have been out of warranty and driven on an erratic transmission for months. They misdiagnosed the problem and I paid for a new TCM. After too many bad experiences with Chevy dealerships, I now only take my truck to GMC. Better customer support and they appropriately diagnosed and fixed my transmission under warranty. Keep an eye on your trans temp while warming up. It should only increase. Mine was jumping all over and occasionally dash out. 
This is why I scan my own truck every month. Having a good scanner is a tool I suggest everyone have.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Lots of codes can be generated without turning on the CEL.  It's defined to come on when an emissions-related problem has been detected, and flashes when an emissions problem is currently happening.

On 10/18/2019 at 10:09 PM, Abiker21 said:

I've had an opposite experience between Chevy and GMC dealers. Took my truck in a few years ago to have the transmission serviced at Nyle Maxwell GMC for the shudder issue. https://www.facebook.com/NyleMaxwellGMC/ They replaced the torque converter and trans filter and it appeared to be fixed. A year later the same issue is occurring and I called to make an appointment at the same dealer and they told me GM isn't going to replace any more torque converters so I'll just have to live with the issue. Fast forward a couple of years and I read about the 18-na-355 TSB and decide to take it to another dealer who determines that Maxwell damaged the replacement trans filter during installation. Maxwell's service manager's opinion was something should have happened while it was under warranty otherwise they couldn't care less. This would be the 2nd time I've had issues with Maxwell's service department and shoddy workmanship. The general manager indicated that they would be willing to correct the issue at no cost to me and basically strung me along for a week and then ultimately declined to cover their mistake. They authorized the other dealer to fix the issue and then declined to cover it thereby holding my vehicle under ransom until I had to pay for their mistake. Below is damage to the filter.

74930977_3077790485571716_1236118697622372352_n.jpg

1 hour ago, booster said:

I've had an opposite experience between Chevy and GMC dealers. Took my truck in a few years ago to have the transmission serviced at Nyle Maxwell GMC for the shudder issue. https://www.facebook.com/NyleMaxwellGMC/ They replaced the torque converter and trans filter and it appeared to be fixed. A year later the same issue is occurring and I called to make an appointment at the same dealer and they told me GM isn't going to replace any more torque converters so I'll just have to live with the issue. Fast forward a couple of years and I read about the 18-na-355 TSB and decide to take it to another dealer who determines that Maxwell damaged the replacement trans filter during installation. Maxwell's service manager's opinion was something should have happened while it was under warranty otherwise they couldn't care less. This would be the 2nd time I've had issues with Maxwell's service department and shoddy workmanship. The general manager indicated that they would be willing to correct the issue at no cost to me and basically strung me along for a week and then ultimately declined to cover their mistake. They authorized the other dealer to fix the issue and then declined to cover it thereby holding my vehicle under ransom until I had to pay for their mistake. Below is damage to the filter.

74930977_3077790485571716_1236118697622372352_n.jpg

Dealerships are not your friend. 

They like to urinate on your shoes and tell you it’s raining. 

On 11/9/2018 at 8:48 AM, newdude said:

Exhaust note change with tach flutter is typically AFM.  The rumble strip feeling is a common symptom of A8 converter shudder. 

Agreed that flutter is AFM. Delete like I did and have flush replaced with Amsoil ATF and a relearn no more issues and that's a year ago.

The flush done with the new fluid and it helped tremendously both the shudder my truck eventually developed as well as the horrible clunky downshifting. Hard downshifts not gone but much better.

Through consistently filling out the emails sent to me by GMC to rate the dealer( sent very delineated emails responses to surveys about how pissed off I was after 5 dealership visits and no fix) after work was performed I was contacted by a regional guy from GMC who offered me 3 options to try and help:

1. Have field engineer come out an drive my truck(since flush fixed MOST of the problem elected not to do this)

2. $4500 cash towards the purchase of any new GMC vehicle, I would have to negiote the price with the dealership, then they would apply the $4500 to the deal( don't really trust another new GMC vehicle, so didn't do this)

3. extend my transmission, transfer case and trans axle warranties and all related items another 5 years/75,000 miles from the trucks current milage. ended up with a warranty on those items good til 01/03/2025 or 118,335. Was best option for me since I drive my truck about 15-18K a year.

I would say to anyone having transmission problems be sure and always answer dealership surveys if you receive one. Only time will tell if my transmission starts all the bad clunky cramp and shudder again.

Hope this helps someone

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By DeathByNissan55
      First thread on here, hope it helps people.
      **!!** DISCLAIMER **!!**  Yes i know this is an 8 spd and its supposed to feel different than other automatic transmissions.  AND  Yes, I know these transmissions had a lot of issues out of the factory. **!!** DISCLAIMER **!!**

Looking to find out information/recommendations for full fluid flush (cooler and all) and filter change for 2016 silverado 1500 with 6.2L and 8spd with max trailering pkg (which i think makes it an 8L90, havent confirmed yet) with almost 90000 miles (maint schedule from chevy for 2016 says trans/tfr case/diffs fluids due at 90k).  I have a hard shift from 1 to 2 at very low speeds sometimes (especially when cold, but that makes sense because fluid dynamics), basically parking lot driving.  I also have a weird deceleration when up to temp when taking off from a light less than 1/4 throttle, going from 1 to 2.  Its almost like its slipping too long between 1st and 2nd.  My body physically moves forward due to what feels like pushing the clutch in during acceleration.  No banging or loud noises, just noticeable loss in acceleration.

Just bought the truck at 88750 miles.
      If it matters, it has had PCM warranty reflash in the past, not sure based on garbage maintenance records if a flush had ever been performed.

What I know:
           Dealership quote (Milwaukee, WI area) before 10% discount:           - Gasket $36.21
                - Filter $30.17
                - Fluid $170.20  (represents 20 qts., *not sure if capacity or thats just how much they use when flushing*)
                - Labor and shop supplies $546.29  (this price makes me think that it is more than just a flush, like they are opening the system and forcing fluid and or cleansers through all components that touch trans fluid to make sure its fully flushed/cleaned. if just flush where they hook up to machine, this is such a damn rip off)

Transmission fluid I am supposed to use to avoid shuttering or issues due to moisture absorption that was initially experienced according to GM TSB# 18-NA-355 (*PLEASE LET ME  KNOW IF THIS IS OLD TSB#*):           - (*HAS TO BE WITH BLUE DOT, NOT BLACK DOT) Mobil 1 Synthetic LV ATF HP

It has never had the fluid changed before to my knowledge  
      I'm trying to figure out what the latest GM factory procedure (either with a TSB# or whatever work order code is used) is so that I can communicate to multiple dealerships nearby so I can get pricing on actual same services.
      Here is the link that describes it a lil more and shows the fittings that they put on transmission for flush:
      https://gm-techlink.com/?p=11127

And here is another about the TSB for fluid (this one is more recent than the one above):
      http://gmauthority.com/blog/2019/08/tsb-seems-to-fix-8-speed-automatic-gm-transmission-problems/

I plan on getting a fluid sample of the transmissions fluid from dealer prior to changing so that I can send it out and get it tested so I have a record.  (I will post the results of tests here when I get them).  I got my free test sample bottles from Blackstone Laboratories
      (If you or your friend has an in with GM engineering and/or happens to know the pass/fail criteria that they use to decide whether or not to cover transmission or torque converter replacement, please let me know.  I'd like to know what to look out for when I get my results from fluid testing)

This is the most expensive thing I have ever purchased, i have extended warranty on it just because I'm worried about the transmission and obviously all the electrical doodads that new vehicles have nowadays, I just want to make sure I am taking care of it correctly.

Would love to hear from seasoned GM certified techs and/or ASE master mechanics/techs and/or GM Engineers.

Also please chime in with prices you've experienced including general location you're from so I can get an idea if this dealer is trying to rip me off.  (so far the only thing I dont trust is the labor/shop supplies in the quote above, depending on what the procedure is)

• By matt-tastic
      Hello all!  First post here!  What brought me here was the 8l90 torque converter lockup shudder issue.  Most times I'd just take this truck to the dealer and let them sort it out, but as it's out of warranty, this is not something I'd like to pay >$600 to repair (this price was quoted to me for the flush and filter change).  After talking to a few service advisors I've found that each of them planned on using a different solution to attempt to alleviate the shudder.  The first was going to proceed via one of the bulletins and do a triple fluid swap and filter change, the others were just going to do a standard flush and fluid swap.  I plan on owning this vehicle for another few months until the 19's become a little more negotiable but cannot stand to let this shudder go on that long and am a bit worried about destroying the torque converter in the process and washing a whole bunch of parts down into the transmission.  So.... my question is if anyone has performed this fluid swap themselves, if it alleviated the issue, and if the filter change is necessary?  I saw that many of the Corvette guys were swapping to the Mobil 1 fluid with some success, however, I didn't think this was as much of a fluid performance issue as it was a suspended clutch material / dirty fluid issue.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!
    • By shaneman20
      Well, seeing as how I can't find much on this subject no matter what forum I go to, why not try to start the discussion here and see what kind of following I can get and see where we end up.

If you're reading this thread, chances are you have thought about modifying or swapping out your current transmission in your 2014+ GM truck. In my case, I don't mind my 6L80 in my truck. It does fine for what I do right now and it's holding up just fine, but I think the big issue is when you start to search for big power (like I'm starting to do), that 6L80 is not going to hold very much (or so we think). Now, let's all face it. We've seen posts after posts, comments after comments, photos, videos, etc. of guys with built motors with turbos or prochargers shooting down the quarter mile in search for the best time on these 6L80s. Some say they're completely stock, others have them built, and we all ask ourselves the same question: Reliability. How well are these transmissions going to hold up to the abuse on the track? Especially if you want to make it a fast street/strip truck and drive it back home to the garage afterwords.

We know for a fact that 6L90s can hold quite a bit of power. Even though I've mostly seen it in Camaro ZL1 applications, there is a guy on YouTube (GuitarmaggedonZL1) who is running a stock 6L90 on stock converter making 1000HP (give or take on an unloaded dyno) and the transmission hasn't puked all over the ground just yet. (Exaggeration, I know.) So, needless to say, a 6L90 swap sounds nice, at first... After you figure the extra length and weight (and in my case, relocation of the transfer case and getting custom driveshafts made), it starts to look a bit unpromising, but still not out of the ball park yet since it will be able to handle the power some are seeking, but where these newer transmissions lack significantly if you want to do boosted applications at the track (or even just launch control on N/A), no one has developed a transbrake. Very, very few forums are talking about this, and only one video exists of a guy in his BMW testing out a transbrake on a 6L80/6L90, and who knows how reliable it is.

So, now, you start to think: Well, gee. What can I do now? How about a TH400 or 4L80e swap?

So far, I've seen few posts on that as well. No one is talking about it, and I think the biggest problem people seem to be facing is the new PCM: E92. Also possibly the fact that the TCM on the newer transmissions is inside the transmission and whatnot, but whether that plays a part in this, I don't know yet. Now, adapting a TH400 or 4L80e can be done (most likely with a different bellhousing since the bolt holes are in a slightly different spot), but you run into the issue of getting it to speak/cooperate/communicate with the new E92, which I don't think anyone has tried. The only video I've seen of anything working in this application was on a 1320Videos video with a Nova where they were using an LT4 long block (built motor to 388 C.I.) and twin turbos, and it had a powerglide in it. Don't know if it was a manual valve body or computer-controlled, but what I do know is that they used the factory computer to run the DI injection system and piggybacked the rest to an MS3 Pro. After dealing with some issues, they were able to make that thing boogy to a 9 second pass at 148mph. So, these engines have potential to haul ass, but we just haven't figured out how to crack the system.

So, at this point, I'll just leave what I've discussed here and see where the thread goes from here, and I'm hoping people chime in and vendors are watching/listening. Even though the demand isn't hot for it right now, there's going to be a surge for good transmissions when people can buy these trucks/cars/motors/transmissions for pennies on the dollar. Unfortunately, I feel like we'll have to wait that long in order to see results, but oh well.

Just to give you guys an example: In the next year or two (2019 or 2020), I'd like to go turbo with my truck. (Doing all the supporting mods before going there minus built bottom end until I see where I can get with stock bottom end before sending a rod through the block or oil pan) Ideally, it'd be best to have a transbrake in that application with 2-step, but can't do it on the new transmissions. So, 4L80 seems to be the option, but I can't do that either because no one supports adapters or harnesses to make them work with the new motors/ECUs. That's the boat I'm in. I like to research everything before I go whole hog into something. Risk assessment, I guess.
    • By dwchapmanjr
      Long time reader and first time poster. I recently started to have vibration issues with my 2015 Yukon Denali. It started after the last scheduled oil change and tire rotation. I noticed the vehicle vibrating quite often. I started paying more attention to it and realized there was a shudder in-between gears that became worse as the transmission warmed up.

Took it to the dealer I purchased it at and it was a bit of a fiasco because they were backlogged and ended up taking it to another dealer who performed 2810175 (updated TCM with latest calibration and relearn). They handed me the vehicle and said all fixed. Took the vehicle home and it seemed to be ok but started noticing the shudder again.

One question is after this, is it expected that there should be a relearn time for X miles while its relearning the shift adapts/pressures? Is there an estimated number of miles for this? It seems to shudder less often but when it does it seems worse than before. I've only driven it about 60 miles since the recalibration.

I'm fully aware of PIP5337 and asked them about this but they said the TCC was not bad. The vehicle was purchased June of 2015 so its definitely manufactured before November of 2015 which PIP5337D mentions.

As I drive it more and more, I feel less of a transmission shudder but more road vibration than I felt in the loaner 2016 Yukon SLT or my wife's Kia Soul. I'm wondering if its possible they rebalanced improperly. The road vibration seems to be at lower speeds. At higher speeds it is better but may just be the quality of the roads I am driving on at lower speeds.

I do notice the TAC jumps about 100 rpm during most shifts and not sure if this is normal. It seems to do this when the TCC speed should be 0 (around 2000PM) shifts. I realize it would not be fully locked under 1600RPM.

At this point, I am not really sure if I am just paying too much attention to every bump on the road or if there is an actual issue. Are there any objective ways to determine if there is an actual issue and express that in a way that will not completely annoy the dealer?

I have already had to pull this vehicle from one dealer because they were so backlogged it would have been in the lot sitting for repair for 23 days. With that said, they planned on doing a tear down on it to inspect and thought it was the TCC.

Any help or guidance is much appreciated. Thanks!