Exhaust question, excuse my lack of knowledge.

I have always had trucks, and always left the performance aspect of the trucks alone. I have an 18 Silverado 5.3 and I just feel that, this truck is just simply to quiet. I was wondering what muffler I could add just to get a little tone out of it. I do not want anything “loud”, just want to be able to actually hear the V8... Any input is greatly appreciated.

Never apologize for lack of knowledge. You’re trying to learn and enjoy these trucks like all of us.
Personally I prefer Borla’s products. But everyone has there opinions.
Some other brands that others will comment will be : Corsa, Gibson, Flowmaster and Magnaflow.
Those are the main ones that I know of.
I recommend you do some digging and look up these brands on YouTube to hear some sound clips. Obliviously, it’s not going to sound exact, but it’ll be pretty damn close.
Only you know what you want to hear!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you, I have looked a little but I will some more. Most of what I see on these newer quieter stock exhausts is muffler deletes etc. I’m wondering if I just remove the designator after the muffler, but all I can find is people who do that AND the muffler.. 

I have the Borla touring exhaust on mine. You can hear it when you accelerate, but it’s not overpowering. There is no drone at highway speed. 

Borla has 3 versions. The touring is the quietest of the 3.

From quietest to loudest:  Touring, S-Type then ATAK.

https://www.borla.com/gmc-sierra-1500-exhaust-systems/

Edited by Baldhills

Personally, I don't think a muffler delete sounds good at all. Replace your muffler with a performance muffler of your choice and delete the resonator. Generally speaking, the larger muffler you install, the quieter it will be.

I replaced the stock muffler with a magnaflow 18 and removed the resonator. I'm pretty happy with it.

Originally just did the muffler, which was a nice tone, but still too quiet for my taste (hence removing the resonator). Basically stock volume with just the muffler swap. 

14 hours ago, Baldhills said:

I have the Borla touring exhaust on mine. You can hear it when you accelerate, but it’s not overpowering. There is no drone at highway speed. 

Borla has 3 versions. The touring is the quietest of the 3.

From quietest to loudest:  Touring, S-Type then ATAK.

https://www.borla.com/gmc-sierra-1500-exhaust-systems/

I added Baldhills comment because he linked the Borla systems... Good day, I am new to this site and have learned a lot here so ask away! Nobody has given me any flack about asking a question here. With that said, I have the Borla ATAK and it’s pretty aggressive. GM sells a Borla through their dealerships that is in line with the Touring version. What I like about the Borla is that is is pretty much a straight bolt on and go system. No cutting, no drilling and they include everything, even the brake line insulation. I have the 6.2 and with the ATAK it pretty much sounds like the Corvette or Camaro with their version of a 6.2. Even with the aggressive ATAK system, I get very, very little V8 to V4 tone difference. The “helicopter” sounds some people describe is not there 99.9% of the time but it’s like at one speed at one spot on a super smooth (newly paved) road I can tell. I am just being honest. Under acceleration it’s pretty impressive but normal driving it’s actually fairly subdued. I can easily have a normal conversation in the cab. I have the noise cancellation disabled on mine because it played havoc with the subs I put in. So even without that, it’s really very quiet inside...if you want it to be ? 

Edited by SS502
  • Like 1