Fuel Injector cleaning (Throttle Body)

2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew, 5.3L with about 66K miles. Dealer suggested the fuel injection system be cleaned ($240), i told them no and they said ill see lack of performance and worse gas milage..

Is this one of them things I can just scrub the throttle body with a tooth brush or is this just a con by the dealer?

If your running top tier fuel, then I wouldn't worry about injectors. You can always use an additive like Techron Complete Fuel System cleaner, if necessary. Cleaning the TB is a good idea and is something you can do yourself

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, txab said:

If your running top tier fuel, then I wouldn't worry about injectors. You can always use an additive like Techron Complete Fuel System cleaner, if necessary. Cleaning the TB is a good idea and is something you can do yourself

I typically just run 87 octane, havn't cleaned the TB on this truck but did regularly on my 03 and it was fairly simple. I might pick up some cleaner like you mentioned to see if I notice an increase in mileage, it has been a bit on the low side lately...

Thank you!

1 hour ago, texasaggies16 said:

I might pick up some cleaner like you mentioned...

Don't procrastinate too long, save yourself 237 bucks.  Do you know how the dealer is going to clean your injectors...pour a bottle of Techron Complete Fuel System cleaner or STP Concentrated Fuel Injector Cleaner in the tank.

41 minutes ago, The Zip said:

Don't procrastinate too long, save yourself 237 bucks.  Do you know how the dealer is going to clean your injectors...pour a bottle of Techron Complete Fuel System cleaner or STP Concentrated Fuel Injector Cleaner in the tank.

Stopping by the Zone in the AM to grab a bottle! Then once the tank is empty ill pour it in!

With some of the vehicles I’ve owned, it says in the owners manual, fuel system additive not needed with top tier fuel. That goes for the expensive dealer cleaning also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, KARNUT said:

With some of the vehicles I’ve owned, it says in the owners manual, fuel system additive not needed with top tier fuel. That goes for the expensive dealer cleaning also.

Yep.

I just had my truck inspected and was told at 45,000 miles, I should get the tranny flush, and their so called fuel system treatment. 180 bucks for tranny, and 220 bucks for fuel system. Truck has 42,000 right now. So I guess I'm safe for a few years, because I'm retired, and lucky to put 1,000 a year on her!:) I told them if I get anything done, it would probably be getting the valves walnut blasted, and I had to explain to them what that was all about.:rolleyes:

Is there anything worthwhile doing to the fuel system?

• Like 1

I was told to do the fluid exchange on my wife’s car at the dealer and fuel system flush at the dealer. I knew what the manual said about the fuel system and passed on that. The transmission was early according to the manual. They claimed severe schedule do to Texas heat. Being under warranty I relented and went with the transmission service. Didn’t want an excuse for them to deny if there was a problem. I was able to observe the fluid change. They pulled a plug on the bottom of the transmission and filled up to a plug half way up. No pan drop, no converter drain, 150$ later that was their service. What a scam. Read the manual, do a little research, make your decision.

• Like 2

I always thought that the first system wasn't worth doing, until I had an injector issue. These trucks are direct injection. They take more maintenance than port injection. Anything that goes into the gas tank, never passes over the valves so the valve train is never getting cleaned. The dealer said that their service cleans the valves but going into the pcv port.

They also include a warranty that gives a credit towards fuel injector replacement. Replacing 1 bank if fuel injectors is about $1,200.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

On 11/11/2018 at 9:12 AM, cpttimerestraint said:

I always thought that the first system wasn't worth doing, until I had an injector issue. These trucks are direct injection. They take more maintenance than port injection. Anything that goes into the gas tank, never passes over the valves so the valve train is never getting cleaned. The dealer said that their service cleans the valves but going into the pcv port.

They also include a warranty that gives a credit towards fuel injector replacement. Replacing 1 bank if fuel injectors is about $1,200.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

The injectors for the DI engines are not that much. I was going to order a full set of the LT4 injectors and the LT4 HPFP for my 17 Camaro SS. All total is was going to be $1500 for everything, the pump alone was around $1000 of that bill.

Maybe the $240 price is for a BG type Direct Injection port carbon deposit cleaning?

Where you remove the intake and soak the intake cavities, thus cleaning the backside of the valves to remove carbon deposits??

I can't imagine a dealer charging $240 just for spraying some cleaner into the throttle body intake????? 

1 hour ago, Jacoby said:

Just run a can of Seafoam through the tank every now and then and you’re good

I like Sea Foam. Use it regularly.

Using a fuel system cleaner on a regular basis will help.

:)