Bilstein 5100 DIY Install Questions

I am planning on replacing my shocks this weekend and it seems like a fairly simple job but I did have a few questions.

1. Should I clear coat the shocks to prevent corrosion on the body? I have seen someone recommend this somewhere.

2. Bilstein recommends a torque value for the top and bottom nuts on the front shock of 19ftlb while GM recommends 37ftlb originally. I have seen some people on here complain of clunking noises when the top nut on the shock is tightened to Bilstein's recommended value - should I tighten to GM's value or Bilstein's  

it doesn't hurt to spray with a good quality enamel clear coat. It can only help with the shocks looking better longer.

I would go with what Bilstein's torque spec.  If it clunks and you don't like it then tighten a little more until the noise goes away.  I really don't see it happening though, otherwise Bilstein would have changed the torque value from all the complaints.

I clear coated mine after cleaning oil off of shock body’s. Still look new 6 months later.

I used the bilstein nuts first and had clunking a few weeks later due to the nut bottoming out on strut tower. Put factory nuts on and it’s been good for months.

I also used factory nut clips on the bottom as well.

Pay attention to how the rubber upper mount and upper 3 nuts are positioned.

Driver side took twice as long as the passenger as I was learning [emoji106]

• Like 1

Clear coating is fine. No real disadvantage.

Use Factory Stud nuts.

Tighten a bit more once installed with the weight back down on the front end.

There is a thread about this... an older one that references clunking.

• Like 1

I guess I should also clarify for my sake, am I correct that the nut that causes the issue is the nut that holds the strut together not the ones that attach the assembly to the truck.

Correct. The single nut on top of strut rod.
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, lawnboy-5247 said:

I guess I should also clarify for my sake, am I correct that the nut that causes the issue is the nut that holds the strut together not the ones that attach the assembly to the truck.

Affirmative :thumbs:

Just got set of front and rear 5100 also and from what I can see they seem to be made of aluminum. Right? at least the main body. Is corrosion an issue with these?

I’ve had the 5100s on my vehicle for over 50,000 miles and they’re in good shape without any corrosion. I live in Georgia and we rarely have to salt the roads here.0552bd184cd16a66d85734ab770d0062.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A durable finish.....

BILSTEIN zinc and nickel coating

BILSTEIN off-road shock absorbers feature zinc or nickel plated coatings. This high performance finish prevents oxidation of the protected metal, increases durability and expands the lifetime of the shock. A clear coat sealant is added for increased protection and a lasting shine.

2 hours ago, GMCsierra06 said:

I’ve had the 5100s on my vehicle for over 50,000 miles and they’re in good shape without any corrosion. I live in Georgia and we rarely have to salt the roads here.0552bd184cd16a66d85734ab770d0062.jpg

Whats the deal with that boot? Doesnt look normal
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like I have no need to waste time with clear coat then. Looks Like I should be good to go this weekend besides finding someone with a wall mount spring compressor because the rental ones are a little bit sketchy for me.