Rear window leak

Demon

First time in, no loaner. Just gave me a ride to work. Second time in, I get a POS equinox. Says that's all they have in their fleet. Next time, the manager says he'll bring me a comparable truck, and pickup mine. I told him I'm not missing a day on the lake because I can't pull my boat with their crappy loaners.

I haven't spent a dime with this dealership, nor did I buy the truck there. It's just the closest to my work.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Anyone know what these leaks look like/how obvious they are without a leather interior?
Something like this. Check the headliner for water stains. It's possible if it leaks it could drip right behind the seat without even seeing it.695533c087423555e195b8e432eb5bf4.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I had the TSB performed on my LTZ today.  They let it sit for a day and then tested it(I guess thats good...).  It did NOT resolve my problem.  The advisor said they are kind of stumped on where to go next and the foreman is getting involved.  Luckily, I got my issue addressed before it ruined my headliner.  I did NOT want them taking my windshield out...I'd even live with a small amount of discoloration to avoid that.  Luckily...no damage to that yet.

So, truck is still there.  I would think that they'd try the back window next(as that is listed as the contingency fix in the TSB) but they damn sure don't seem to want to give me any details.   Their communication is definitely not the best but I also don't want to stir up a bunch of shit as long as they are trying.  Think I should open a case with customer care or let them keep trying for a while?  They are putting me in a rental car tomorrow morning.

This type of shit shouldn't be this stressful.

I would call customer care anyway and have a case opened.

So you're saying they did the sealant and it still leaks? If that's the case, then my understanding is the next step is to replace the rear window. Just don't let this go. You don't want to be in my position. My truck stinks like mildew and I smell it every time I open the door.

5 minutes ago, white94rx said:

I would call customer care anyway and have a case opened.

So you're saying they did the sealant and it still leaks? If that's the case, then my understanding is the next step is to replace the rear window. Just don't let this go. You don't want to be in my position. My truck stinks like mildew and I smell it every time I open the door.

Yea, I agree.  I'm not picking it up until the damn thing doesn't leak anymore.  The big challenge will be to keep it dry while it's at the dealer.  I can't imagine they keep it inside...  So yeah, I'm going to call and get a case started just because.  I've kept meticulous records of every conversation and phone call up to this point just in case a problem arises.

Sorry yours is such a cluster f*ck.  I get that these problems happen...but geez, I shouldn't have to tell the technicians how to fix the truck.

Seriously. There's two problems here. One is my truck leaked since day one and has developed a horrible mildew smell. Two is the total incompetence of the dealer's technician that has worked on my truck. The quality of work is laughable, and the fact that they're not quality checking and inspecting my truck after the first repair fiasco with the urethane on my rear window is just absurd.

I had the TSB performed on my LTZ today.  They let it sit for a day and then tested it(I guess thats good...).  It did NOT resolve my problem.  The advisor said they are kind of stumped on where to go next and the foreman is getting involved.  Luckily, I got my issue addressed before it ruined my headliner.  I did NOT want them taking my windshield out...I'd even live with a small amount of discoloration to avoid that.  Luckily...no damage to that yet.

So, truck is still there.  I would think that they'd try the back window next(as that is listed as the contingency fix in the TSB) but they damn sure don't seem to want to give me any details.   Their communication is definitely not the best but I also don't want to stir up a bunch of shit as long as they are trying.  Think I should open a case with customer care or let them keep trying for a while?  They are putting me in a rental car tomorrow morning.

This type of shit shouldn't be this stressful.
How long was it leaking for? Did it go back behind the seats? Others are having mildew issues. There is a link to the tsb document earlier in this topic. You should read it. Mine didn't work the first time they applied sealant, then they gobbed on a bunch more which seems to have fixed it for now, but I am going to fight to have the rear window replaced too. I don't have faith sealant will last more than a year or two.

Since the likely cause is cracks in the plastic upper rail guide, a replacement window should solve the problem. That is also assuming you don't have water damage behind your seats you don't know about yet. I would still call customer care and open a case number. Good luck

8 hours ago, ShamrockShooter said:

How long was it leaking for? Did it go back behind the seats? Others are having mildew issues. There is a link to the tsb document earlier in this topic. You should read it. Mine didn't work the first time they applied sealant, then they gobbed on a bunch more which seems to have fixed it for now, but I am going to fight to have the rear window replaced too. I don't have faith sealant will last more than a year or two.

Since the likely cause is cracks in the plastic upper rail guide, a replacement window should solve the problem. That is also assuming you don't have water damage behind your seats you don't know about yet. I would still call customer care and open a case number. Good luck

While they have been cooperative except for the gross deficiency in communication skills, they did supposedly follow the TSB.  And by follow it, I mean they removed the upper rear spoiler, and put the sealer in there.  I don't think they messed w/ the back glass at all.  I find that odd because the TSB clearly says that if the first procedure doesn't work, that they should dick with the back glass seal next.  But, they seem confused.  I'm going in this morning to pick up my loaner.  I'm going to casually mention that I have been advised by a Field Warranty Manager for GM to start open an issue with Customer Care.  I am hopeful that the mention of being in contact with a Field Warranty Manager will at least put a little priority on my vehicle as I think it probably sits there most of the time untouched.

As far as how long it's been leaking?  Unknown.  My headliner doesn't have any damage that I could see(thank God!).  I live in Austin so it's not like we get a ton of rain anyway...although it's obviously more common in Spring.  When I noticed it a couple weeks ago, there was just a light trickle down passenger side rear seat.  It was a pretty heavy rain too.  The driver's side...even though it was dry at the time, was not wet.  But, I looked at the glass and noticed that it had leaked before as it had dried runs down the window.  So, my theory is that the leak wasn't terrible yet but was headed that way.  So, I am hopeful that nothing had gotten so wet yet that it will start stinking.

Like I said above...I know these things happen.  I think these types of problems would all be taken a little more in stride by the owners if the dealers were able to instill some confidence that they have the ability to resolve these issues.  Every single dealer seems to take a different approach with varying degrees of success.  Half the time they damage the vehicle while working on it or fail to reassemble it correctly.  That, for me is the bullshit part.  If it weren't for the cost of the parts themselves, most of us would be better served by reading the forums, and performing the repairs themselves.  This isn't rocket science...its a question of motivation and commitment to do the job right.  That is the part that is grossly lacking.

1 hour ago, M3Master said:

Like I said above...I know these things happen.  I think these types of problems would all be taken a little more in stride by the owners if the dealers were able to instill some confidence that they have the ability to resolve these issues.  Every single dealer seems to take a different approach with varying degrees of success.  Half the time they damage the vehicle while working on it or fail to reassemble it correctly.  That, for me is the bullshit part.  If it weren't for the cost of the parts themselves, most of us would be better served by reading the forums, and performing the repairs themselves.  This isn't rocket science...its a question of motivation and commitment to do the job right.  That is the part that is grossly lacking.

To that aspect, I think part of the problem is the lack of true 'mechanics'. You know, someone who takes something apart and by using critical thinking and experience, fixes it.  Today, we have 'technicians'. Basically someone who reads a TSB and follows a designated repair procedure or plugs in the diagnostic computer and swaps out parts.

In other words they're not figuring out why our windows leaked.  They are just robotically following the repair procedure put forth by GM.

Just sayin'. 

• Like 2

Update.
2 days in my driveway from delivery
16 days truck at dealer
4 trips to the dealer
10 phone calls to GM Customer Care
16 calls to dealership
Two attempts to caulk cracks in frame
One Headliner ordered and arrived at dealer
Several other concerns regarding water damage ignored
Several requests to talk with or meet the GM District rep ignored
23 pages of documentation of my correspondence and pictures
14 days until I'm eligible for Lemon Law.
Easily 40 hours or more of my own time invested in this.

You need to remember it's business not personal. That is how GM treats it.

GM treated me well when I had issues with my 16, which makes this issue with my 19 all the more puzzling that I have to put this level of effort in to try and make it right.

Hopefully tomorrow will be a day of great news.