Rear window leak

Demon

In Georgia, it's 3 repair attempts, then a 4th "final inspection", I guess to prove if it's fixed or not. I think the window is 2 years, 24k miles, not sure. He just said document everything. Told me to ask for a personal meeting with the area GM rep and go over the truck with him. If they wanted, they could do a collateral substitution, like give me a nearly identical truck and nothing changes with my financing. Or they can do a trade assist and get me into a different vehicle. Or nothing at all, in which case you have to force them with the lemon law stuff. Pictures, documentation, and customer care calls.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I think your leverage is highest once you clearly quailify for lemon law. Since my truck only has 200 miles on it, a comparable vehicle would be another new truck.

Once it is a lemon it has to go back to gm and get recertification and then they need to disclose like a salvage vehicle that it is a lemon. If they do a regular buyback or trade assist, they probably won't have to disclose that. So they are motivated not to get to a lemon law situation

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, white94rx said:

Got my truck back today. Of course with more to add to the story. It's in worse condition now than when they picked it up from me.

The gentleman I have been dealing with is indeed the general manager of this inept dealership. Called me this afternoon and said that the smell is gone, and they have detailed my truck, including cleaning any excess sealant from the rear window, and removing the fine swirl marks from my paint. Of course I was skeptical.

I will say, at the moment, the mildew smell is gone (or covered up). However, it has been replaced with an overbearing, strong chemical and chlorine smell. I was farting in the truck, trying to smell it over the chemical smell. So they accomplished their goal of replacing one odor for another. I do expect the mildew smell to return. I think I could faintly get a whiff of it underneath the chemical smell.

The sealanr has been maybe 60-70% cleaned, however, it has been replaced with some kind of other goop or sticky crap on the body of the truck, on the sides of the rear glass. That wasn't there before! How the hell do you clean something, but add something else?

The interior wasn't detailed. The boot prints are still there, including a greasy boot print on my step bar, that wasn't even washed! The scratches and crap all over the passenger door panel are still there. The dirty boot prints on the rear floor mat are still there. The GM had to leave before I got there, unfortunately. Maybe he knew it wouldn't be pleasant. I had the sales manager walk out to the vehicle with me for an inspection. I hope he was as embarrassed as he acted. This place is a freaking joke! I pointed out everything that wasn't fixed, as well as what was worse than before.

I called customer care on the way home. Finally got someone higher up. Requested a meeting with the area rep, as well as sent her all my pictures. The truck is barely drivable as the chemical smell is overwhelming and gave me a headache on the drive home. All they're doing is building my case for a buy back. Turns out, my BMW area rep was at my shop today. I had a nice conversation with him about buy backs, how it works, and how lemon law works. I'm expecting a call from the GM in the morning, seeing as how the sales manager took pics and said he would show him. I've got his cell, and I will be calling.

F*ck dude.  That sucks.  The TSB on the rear upper spoiler sure didn't resolve me issue either.  They are working on my rear glass now.

Fortunately for me(or maybe not?) my dealership says they are not glass experts and want no part of removing/installing/resealing glass.  They are having a company out next Monday to inspect/remove/clean/reinstall the window.   I have no idea if that will solve my issue or not...maybe temporarily.  

I'm just blown away that the GM of the dealership would allow this type of shit to happen given the problem is so obvious.  

I thought I read somewhere that this is essentially the same rear window setup that the K2 trucks use.  Do those have leak problems?

I'm not sure but I haven't heard of it. Seems like if it was a problem with a previous model they would have fixed it by now. Which I think only early builds are affected. From what I've read, once they discovered the problem, it was fixed.

Yesterday I was welcomed to the party guys.. I hope they can fix it. I'm having a hard time with my dealer giving me a loaner, said May 2nd at the earliest. I'm working with GM to find a dealer with a loaner. Any other tips and getting this stuff fixed? 

IMG_20190417_130233.jpg

Try and keep me it out of the rain. Maybe put a towel at the top of the rear seats behind the headrest. The last thing you want is for it to soak into the seats and carpet. Then you'll be dealing with mold/mildew smell like I'm going through right now.

And here's the latest update. Area rep won't be able to meet with me until the 30th. The general manager of the dealership called customer care and asked what the next steps were. They're going to remove a few pieces at a time, seal them in bags over night, and see if the truck smells, or if these components smell outside of the truck. Basically trying to narrow down where the smell is actually coming from and what parts really got wet. He said if I elected not to allow them to do these additional steps, then GM would close my case and I'd be stuck where I was. So they're getting my truck tomorrow. The manager is getting out of his demo Silverado and allowing me to have that as long as they have my truck. I just told him I had to have something that could pull my boat. He did say that trade assistance or buy back is not out of the question. I wonder how long they're going to keep throwing money at this truck.

Yesterday I was welcomed to the party guys.. I hope they can fix it. I'm having a hard time with my dealer giving me a loaner, said May 2nd at the earliest. I'm working with GM to find a dealer with a loaner. Any other tips and getting this stuff fixed? 
IMG_20190417_130233.thumb.jpg.c71a4f088f81b2b7ad39c7775a7284be.jpg
Welcome to the club. Initiation includes build location, trim level, build date, and how long you have owned truck.

My dealer just went and got a brand new crew cab off the lot and said here you go. I guess the loaner quality is dealer dependant and also if you bought it from that dealer you might get something better if you visit your sales guy and have them hook you up.

Did your headliner get wet at all? Is it leaking on one side or both?

Go back early in this thread and there is a copy of the tsb to fix it. You should review that to understand what they should be repairing. If you have a preference for sealant color make sure you specify. Mine used black on my white truck which looks terrible. They should have used clear.

Document every conversation right after it happens. Lemon Law is usually 30 days from when you report it to the dealer. Mine has been at the dealer for 18 days and counting.

Call gm customer care and get a case number opened up.

Print out the tsb and take it with you to the dealer and ask to inspect the window for cracks in the frame before they apply any sealant.

• Like 1

Thanks for the response. My truck is a Trail Boss LT, built on 8/18 in Indiana. 

Both sides of mine are leaking and it soaked the headliner yesterday on both corners. 

Mine is a lease, does that make it easier to exchange if the issues aren't addressed versus buying? 

I called my dealer, I also opened a case yesterday with GM. I will definitely go back and look at the TSB. 

10 hours ago, Ktapper said:

Both sides of mine are leaking and it soaked the headliner yesterday on both corners. 

Mine is a lease, does that make it easier to exchange if the issues aren't addressed versus buying? 

I called my dealer, I also opened a case yesterday with GM. I will definitely go back and look at the TSB. 

Page 8 for the Bulletin. 

What does your roof headliner look like? Can you see water stains from it getting wet previously.

I guess what I struggle with on this issue is, my truck was built 08/21/18 in Indiana, the same week as some of y'all's trucks that are leaking.  I didn't purchase my truck until about two weeks ago.  On top of that, my LT Trail Boss was a dealer trade from a deep south Texas dealership as my dealership needed some Trail Bosses on the lot.  So, I know for a fact since August of 2018 until I purchased my truck two weeks ago that it has been routinely rained and snowed on for seven months and there is no sign of leakage.  I'm trying to wrap my head around what happens to cause the leaks after these trucks leave the dealership and become daily drivers and how that is somehow the trigger for the leaks?  My truck had nearly 700 miles on it when I bought it, as it was driven from south Texas up to Amarillo for the swap.  Wouldn't that type of driving trigger a leaking event?  Perhaps it leaked while sitting on the dealership lot and my dealer repaired it before I purchased the truck?  I see no evidence that it was worked on like that.  Color me confused! 

4 hours ago, ShamrockShooter said:

What does your roof headliner look like? Can you see water stains from it getting wet previously.

The only stain I see is from the one the other day. This is what it looks like now.. I had the truck in the garage with a large fan blowing on it all night. 

IMG_20190419_111200.jpg

The only stain I see is from the one the other day. This is what it looks like now.. I had the truck in the garage with a large fan blowing on it all night. 
IMG_20190419_111200.thumb.jpg.900aed259cbf318bcb64832d744b7448.jpg
They will have to order a new headliner which means they will have to remove the front windshield to get it out and the new one in