Rear window leak

Demon

I want to add my truck to the ones that have a window leak.  The dealer investigated the issue and found not enough sealant and a crack on the rear frame.  They think it will take 30 days to get the parts in to fix it.  I have a 2019 Trail Boss.  They gave me a 2018 WT crew cab as the loaner.  Being without the truck sucks, only had it for 2 months.

On 12/17/2018 at 8:55 PM, mtsound said:

I want to add my truck to the ones that have a window leak.  The dealer investigated the issue and found not enough sealant and a crack on the rear frame.  They think it will take 30 days to get the parts in to fix it.  I have a 2019 Trail Boss.  They gave me a 2018 WT crew cab as the loaner.  Being without the truck sucks, only had it for 2 months.

MTsound, sorry to hear you are having the same problem. The unofficial word is that the problem is very widespread and GM has fired the original manufacturer of the rear windows for 2019 Silverados and Sierras and has hired a new manufacturer. It has been 37 days for me without the truck. However, I’m pleased that GM has taken the steps to ensure the issue is corrected permanently. Among many questions, one stands out: When will a recall be issued to save loyal customers from the potential vehicle damage from a leaking window?

It's the risk you take buying the first year model but as a 2019 buyer in a few months I appreciate the people going through this to get it resolved so it's not a problem in the future.   No question they will resolve the issue and it is a hassle but you are enjoying the truck before others.   After I bought a first year Jet-ski years ago I decided never to do that again.  Luckily this is just a small window leak and nothing bigger. 

1 hour ago, Smitty said:

It's the risk you take buying the first year model but as a 2019 buyer in a few months I appreciate the people going through this to get it resolved so it's not a problem in the future.   No question they will resolve the issue and it is a hassle but you are enjoying the truck before others.   After I bought a first year Jet-ski years ago I decided never to do that again.  Luckily this is just a small window leak and nothing bigger. 

Yes, I agree about the first model year, but they haven’t reinvented the proverbial wheel with this iteration. I hope this is the first and last issue with this vehicle. ?

Chock up one more with a rear window leak.

On vacation in North Carolina and when I opened the rear driver side door after a full day of rain I found water atop my leather seats. 

Thankfully it appears to small and coming from the very top corner. I've placed a folded up rag on the seat to hopefully catch most of it as it's supposed to rain the next few days and this issue will have to wait another week until I get home.

Rear Window Leak.jpg

23 minutes ago, hotrdlx said:

Looked at a new 2019 Sierra at the dealer yesterday after a light rain and the back passenger seat was covered in water and the top of the rear window was dripping. Not a good sign.

No, thats definitely not a good sign. Got mine back after 39 days at the dealership. They replaced the entire rear window and headliner. The fix survived a direct pressure wash today, no leaks. That being said, I wouldn’t buy a new one unless it was certified leak proof. Evidently GM has a new manufacturer for the rear windows. Also, I know of two others locally with 2019 Sierras and no leak problems....yet.

• Like 1

Just an update...

I posted a few days ago that I had the dreaded window leak.  At the time I thought it was a small leak. 

I'm still on vacation and have not returned to South Florida. In NC. It rained all night last night.  I went out to the truck this morning and the rolled up hand towel I left on the top of the rear seat, in case it rained again, was completely saturated and water was all over the seats.  

I replaced the hand towel with a regular sized towel.  An hour or so later I went out and checked it again.  The towel,  while not completely saturated, was well on its way.  And I noticed that the corner of the headliner was wet and there was an active drip of water.  About a drop every second or two.  

Replaced the towel and found a blue tarp to cover the back of my 61 thousand dollar (MSRP) truck. 

SO PISSED!

I won't be home for another few days.  Praying for fair skies. 

Add another 2019 Chevrolet Silverado to the long list of new trucks that are experiencing a water leak due to an apparent failure in the rear window seal.  The truck was bought at the end of October 2018 and I didn't find the water leak until 12/16/18 when I was out of town visiting family for the holidays in Massachusetts.  The leak looks exactly like the pictures posted above by fish_guru.  Water was literally pouring in from the rain storm - soaked the head liner, rear seat (driver's side), and flooring.  Ran down the window and also dripped from the headliner to the point that there was a small puddle on the top of the seat back.  The first below picture shows how much water collected in the headliner before the leak was first detected.  God only knows how long it was leaking before I was lucky (or unlucky) to catch it.  Not happy at all, as are the rest of you, especially since I have a child with severe mold allergies.

Thankfully the truck is garaged at the house, so I was able to get it inside and out of the elements once we got home to Maryland.  I ran a fan and a heater inside the truck for 36+ hours before I could get it to the dealership to be looked at on 12/19/18.  The headliner, flooring, and leather appeared to dry out and because the headliner/carpeting is black it is hard to tell if there is any remaining water damage.  The foam padding in the back of the rear seat was another story as it was still damp when I brought it in to be looked at.  Within a few hours of being at the dealership, the service department called me to say they found the leak coming from an improperly sealed rear window during factory assembly.  I was initially thankful it wasn't coming from the rooftop antenna or the third brake light, until they told me the entire rear window needed to be replaced and that all replacement windows are on back order with NO KNOWN delivery schedule.  Apparently, the truck also has to be brought to SafeLite to have the window replaced one a replacement arrives.

Its now been 10 days since I initially dropped the truck off and same old, same old - no known delivery date or estimated repair date.  We had another heavy downpour yesterday (12/28/19), so I decided to swing by the dealership to see if the truck was at least inside - nope, it was not.  It was sitting in the lot with plastic tape on it.  I called the dealership to ask why my truck with a known water leak was sitting outside in the rain (see picture below) and I was "assured" that the truck was covered with plastic and water was not getting in, as it "had been sitting outside all week with no problems."  It also didn't rain before yesterday.  I went by the dealership again today (12/29/18), and miraculously the truck was no longer outside and was moved inside the garage out of sight.

Thanks GM.  I'm glad I bought a $60K truck from you and am getting this runaround.  It would be nice to get an official response from GM, but I'm not hopeful given their track record on this issue.

IMG_6290.jpg

IMG_6368.jpg

Edited by RPH

I feel terrible for you guys.  I know I would be distraught over this.  Given that the permanent fix may be a ways out, they need to come up with a work around in the meantime.  Some type of shield or cap or something to block the water from coming in.  When it comes time for the permanent fix, there should be no questions asked on whatever needs replacing (headliner, etc.).

I'd keep your voice loud and go through the local GM rep and not just the dealer. 

Maybe I'll be the first 2018 to report a rear window leak. It's a Elevation Double Cab. I just bought it new 10 days ago. Now 434 miles on it. It was raining driving home from work and I noticed it tonight. No sliding glass, just a solid window. It's dead center coming from the top dripping down on top of the back seat. I actually first noticed it before I took possession of it. It was raining the night I bought it. The salesman was trying to show me how the rear seat folds up. Saw the water on top center of the seat. I said what is that?? He said it came from his rain jacket. That made sense because it was raining some when this happened. We both were a little wet. Sooo.. no Mr. Salesmen...it's a leak! After reading this forum, I'm not happy. 

I’m sorry you have to deal with this as well on your 2018.  While doing research on the leak in my 2019 model, I read somewhere that 2014-2018 Silverados also have a history of leaking from a poorly sealed third brake light.  Hopefully it is as something as easily as replacing the TBL to permenantly stop the damage and annoyance of the leak.