In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Demon

Rear window leak

There are three types of T1s coming off the line.

Long box, Short box, and Pandora's box.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

There are three types of T1s coming off the line.

Long box, Short box, and Pandora's box.

That's funny!!!

But, the sad reality is that if a car company actually sold Pandora's Box there would be fanboys throwing their money down, and then whining about all the problems.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I apparently bought the latter. Mine is back in the shop having the steering wheel replaced due to an unknown scrubbing. At least the replacement back window is holding up so far 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

On 8/17/2020 at 8:16 PM, OnTheReel said:

The caulking, believe it or not worked on the first try and is still working. If done right, the concept works and it may be better than a new window (that will also eventually crack). The sealer is flexible and shouldn’t ever fail. If done cleanly, you won’t see it either.

Problem is usually the damage they do in the process. Leaving sloppy caulk residue on the paint, messing up the headliner or trim, scratching the truck, etc. Seen a lot of it here.

Since this problem has persisted for like 2 years now, I would think most dealers have done a handful of them and have the process down. But just make sure to look everything over really well. Some of the things they screwed up on mine were not immediately apparent. Good luck.

I would have to agree at the end of the day I think it's down to the quality of the dealership personnel working on your vehicle I discovered my leak at the start of the year just after winter, now I will qualify by saying it only leaked in one spot and normally after a trip to the pressure wash or from going through a touchless car wash also there was soap mixed in with it so it became easy to spot.

When they performed the work not only did they do the caulking job they also removed the spoiler did a leak test on it and replaced the fasteners, since then it has been in torrential rain and numerous washes and so far has been leak free.

Well I did a thing today... While my truck is "fixed", I decided to just take the easy road and trade it in for a 2020 4Runner. It's been real guys, but won't miss the water leaks, transmission slips, rear end bucking, etc... It's a pretty truck though!

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

16 hours ago, 19TrailBoss said:

Well I did a thing today... While my truck is "fixed", I decided to just take the easy road and trade it in for a 2020 4Runner. It's been real guys, but won't miss the water leaks, transmission slips, rear end bucking, etc... It's a pretty truck though!

Congrats on the purchase. We also own a 2020 4Runner. I got it for the wife and have played with the idea of getting myself one. With a small trailer I could probably live without the truck bed. Bulletproof vehicle. 

On 8/22/2020 at 3:35 PM, 19TrailBoss said:

Congrats on the 4Runner. We just bought my wife a 2020 TRD ORP. It’s our 3rd 4Runner. Love them. Probably the best resale and reliability of any vehicle we’ve bought. Also have a 2020 denali HD for me. Hope I don’t get the leak... ?

• Sad 1

My dealership called last Friday and GM wants to put another rear window in. To recap bought truck on Halloween. 2019 crew cab Ltz z71with 211 miles. At 1344 window leak reared it’s ugly head. After three unsuccessful caulk jobs and 79 days at the dealership GM relaxed the rear window and stained headliner.  Fast first to about a month an da week ago noticed water very slowly dripping from sliding window window track over rear driver side headrest. Now waiting on second window replacement 

I'm sure this has been asked and answered many times, but has this been resolved for the 2020 - 2021s? Or is just a dice roll?

Considering there's 150 pages on this topic, if GM hasn't got their ****** together yet its pretty sad. 

I'm sure this has been asked and answered many times, but has this been resolved for the 2020 - 2021s? Or is just a dice roll?

Considering there's 150 pages on this topic, if GM hasn't got their ****** together yet its pretty sad. 
There are for sure 2020's out there with the issue, but I believe it is yet to be seen if the 2021's will have the issue. I wouldn't be surprised though...

There are for sure 2020's out there with the issue, but I believe it is yet to be seen if the 2021's will have the issue. I wouldn't be surprised though...

That's because 2021s haven't been built yet

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

For what it’s worth, these reports have tapered off quite a bit from what they were. And there was never a huge inrush of 2020s leaking like the 2019s. A handful, sure, but I don’t think I’d be losing sleep if I bought a 2020, and even less a 2021 if they ever hit lots.

Current owners and prospective buyers hoping for full disclosure or new part number or other real solution other than a toothpaste seal:

media2.giphy.com/media/l0NgQfbU5rhycFlIc/source...

• Haha 1

Well my 2019 Sierra has been in to the dealership for the first round of attempted sealing of the rear window leak. Now waiting for a new window which is on back order. Recalls for minor things like programming, or alternator cable are one thing but you'd think by now the would know how to make a sliding window that doesn't leak. By the service bulletin I've seen the plastic track is actually cracked. And, by the way, the bolt holes that secure the spoiler need to be sealed properly too. My trickle at the left rear corner became a full blown running leak at both sides after the first service attempt. I'm guessing the aforementioned spoiler bolt holes are the culprits. Takes the joy out of getting a new truck for sure. 

Leak is getting worse and I’m about to take it into the dealership.  Fingers crossed they can fix it but I’m very doubtful from what I’ve seen.  

E351FA70-C0EC-46AC-A542-7E6A4698F995.jpeg