In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Demon

Rear window leak

Curious how many of these leakers GM has had. 

Unfortunately not very exclusive.  Like death, we will all have it at some point.

It was sarcasm

So what is the actual fix? Sealing? Window replacement?

I spoke to my local dealer and they mentioned sealing it and it would take a few days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

17 minutes ago, f8l vnm said:

Curious how many of these leakers GM has had. 

The better question is how many are leaking that people don’t know about. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, RyanbabZ71 said:

It was sarcasm

So what is the actual fix? Sealing? Window replacement?

I spoke to my local dealer and they mentioned sealing it and it would take a few days emoji2373.png

There is no actual fix. First attempt is to caulk it with Kent seam sealer. Best you can hope for is that they don’t make a huge mess in the process. Sometimes that “repair” lasts for awhile, sometimes not. My sealant job was good for a year. Just leaving it with the slight dribble it recently developed.

Usually takes a couple days to get done because there is a cure time before they can leak test and give you the truck back.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Blue5.3l said:

I still believe 100% of these will leak at some point. Especially the 2019s. Prove me wrong.

• Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, Blue5.3l said:

Every single truck with a sliding rear window either IS or WILL leak. I used to be less emphatic on this, but it's become very clear that I can say this with realistic assurance. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, OnTheReel said:

There is no actual fix. First attempt is to caulk it with Kent seam sealer. Best you can hope for is that they don’t make a huge mess in the process. Sometimes that “repair” lasts for awhile, sometimes not. My sealant job was good for a year. Just leaving it with the slight dribble it recently developed.

Usually takes a couple days to get done because there is a cure time before they can leak test and give you the truck back.

Yeah, @RyanbabZ71 I agree with OnTheReel. Let them do the reseal. Usually it does help... for a while. Mine held for a couple of months and now has a slow drip that I've learned to live with. I just keep a towel at the top of my seat between the window to absorb the leaks. My headliner is not being stained, thankfully, and my truck is not at all smelling of dampness.

You'll just be needlessly miserable (and without a truck a lot) if you want to try and keep pursuing it once it leaks after the reseal. This thread is full of examples. 

• Like 1

We need a Bernie leak meme.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, cltsig said:

We need a Bernie leak meme.

? ?  Bernie sitting at the GM dealer waiting for his truck's rear window to stop leaking. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Mine is also just a slight leak/drip

48 minutes ago, econometrics said:

? ?  Bernie sitting at the GM dealer waiting for his truck's rear window to stop leaking. 

LOL

Or maybe using his mitts to soak up the drips.......

-Grover67

• Thanks 1

It's interesting and frustrating that GM won't approve a solid replacement. 

I've had the initial repair done, and it's been fine since, but it's ridiculous that every time it rains, I feel compelled to go check it. 

I'm deciding between waiting for it to happen again, and trying to get them to cover it, or just go do it myself at a local guy's shop 

It's too bad that this is going on, I really love the truck otherwise. 

Thank you for the information on pricing and your experiences!

19, 20, 21. When will it end? What the hell kind of engineers do they have that can't solve this problem?  

I’m leaning towards just having it replaced by a professional glass shop. I don’t want to deal with the dealer. They can only do what Gm lets them do. If I can do it for 5-600 dollars, it stings, but it’s worth it for a 50k truck. 
what boggles my mind is that GM just about forces to get the slider. Wouldn’t you think they’d stop pushing it by now? They gotta know it doesn’t work. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SPASierra said:

Thanks for the info!  I had looked up the rear glass on GM Parts Direct, and they have it for $330.  I'm sure shipping will cost a pretty penny as well.  There is a local glass shop here that everyone recommends for windshields (vs Safelite), so I will give him a call.  If you happen to have the part number for the rear glass, can you tell me if this is what you got?  https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-parts/gm-back-glass-84008420?c=Zz1ib2R5JnM9Z2xhc3MtYW5kLWhhcmR3YXJlLWJhY2smbD00Jm49QXNzZW1ibGllcyBQYWdlJmE9Z21jJm89c2llcnJhLTE1MDAmeT0yMDE5JnQ9c2x0JmU9NS0zbC12OC1nYXM%3D

My glass place ordered the glass from the local dealer. Unfortunately no part number is list on the receipt. I gave him my vin but was useless since my vin shows a slider. I told him to get a solid with factory privacy tint with defrost and he understood what I was going after. Shows a list price of $522.64 with a net price of $343.72. Which is what I was quoted when I called the dealer also. $18 charged for adhesive. Labor was $300. Tax of course is extra. With the install the spoiler and headliner stayed in place. The seat back has to be removed and the seat belts with the trim panels also need removed. For me it was worth paying extra because of the shop reputation then going with a company like Safelite. Which the guy may or not have experience. Good luck on your window.