In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Rear window leak

Demon

8 hours ago, Kclyatt said:

Update....Few months into sealing my rear glass and happy to report no further leaks. I recently sealed up my spoiler as a added guarantee because as we can see GM does not have our best interests in mind. I used door trim from Lowes and this particular type has ridges to help with the trim tool to push into the tight space and also has adhesive on the back to hold into place once set. The third brake light I used clear silicone (same type 3M) since that gap was too tight for trim.

Hope my enthusiasm to prevent future leaks helps another in this exclusive club of leakers!

trim.1.jpg

trim.2.jpg

Trim.3.jpg

What trim did you buy from Lowe’s? Does it have glue on the back side? If so did the backing stay on until you had everything in place?

21 hours ago, Chrisd534 said:

I'm just worried they'll be creating an issue with the window replacement even though I don't have a leak. Good to hear though!

I’m well under warranty so if it fails they get to fix it again. Don’t wait til your warranty is up get it taken care of sooner than later

1 hour ago, DarkSky20 said:

I’m well under warranty so if it fails they get to fix it again. Don’t wait til your warranty is up get it taken care of sooner than later

Yep. ?

I will NOT own my 2019 out of warranty with the rear window still leaking. No thanks. 

This seal should finally put the leak issue to behind me and this is the same I used on top with the spoiler/cab gap. Seal gives water no chance to run down spoiler and sit on top of the window trim which develops cracks and allows water in. I could use warranty but (after 204 pages currently of leaks) the warranty is about 50/50 on correcting this issue and for me this is easily reversible if it doesn't work.

All in $16 total for 3M silicone (sealed window and 3rd brake light) and one roll of the marine seal. Total time of 15 minutes and 1 day cure for the silicone and approx. 45 minutes for the seal which seems like a fair trade vs. going the dealership route and getting frustrated, crappy work, lost time, etc.!

window.1.jpg

6 minutes ago, Kclyatt said:

This seal should finally put the leak issue to behind me and this is the same I used on top with the spoiler/cab gap. Seal gives water no chance to run down spoiler and sit on top of the window trim which develops cracks and allows water in. I could use warranty but (after 204 pages currently of leaks) the warranty is about 50/50 on correcting this issue and for me this is easily reversible if it doesn't work.

All in $16 total for 3M silicone (sealed window and 3rd brake light) and one roll of the marine seal. Total time of 15 minutes and 1 day cure for the silicone and approx. 45 minutes for the seal which seems like a fair trade vs. going the dealership route and getting frustrated, crappy work, lost time, etc.!

window.1.jpg

Well done! Definitely beats going to the dealer and have them destroy your truck. 

Mind posting the link for the marine seal?

My window has been fixed by the dealer not leaking 8 mos later which is great, but be nice to add a preventative measure. Also looks a lot better than that gap in between the window and spoiler.

3 minutes ago, hotrodz37 said:

Well done! Definitely beats going to the dealer and have them destroy your truck. 

Mind posting the link for the marine seal?

My window has been fixed by the dealer not leaking 8 mos later which is great, but be nice to add a preventative measure. Also looks a lot better than that gap in between the window and spoiler.

C7DC65D8-98A3-407F-AA8D-7FE44587D4AC.png

21 minutes ago, Kclyatt said:

window.1.jpg

This is zoomed in pretty far so can't tell what I'm looking at.  Is that the 3M silicone or the marine seal or both?  Is that the top of the window (assume so)?  Where all did you put the marine seal, specifically?  Thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, cltsig said:

This is zoomed in pretty far so can't tell what I'm looking at.  Is that the 3M silicone or the marine seal or both?  Is that the top of the window (assume so)?  Where all did you put the marine seal, specifically?  Thanks in advance.

Both....This is a seal between the spoiler  bottom edge and the window gap. I already applied silicone on top just like the TSB the dealership would have done except I did not remove the spoiler. I cut the tip of the 3M silicone tube (I used 2 total/small one not the caulk gun type) and laid the bead above the window frame 4 months ago (still leak free) and this is just an extra precaution. I felt the need to eliminate any water getting to the window seam would be best for long term.

I also applied the same marine seal on the roof between the cab and the spoiler ( see my previous post page 203). I know my work and it's satisfying to know that given time and some care you can seal your window up and save the hassle of warranty work mistakes and damage.

Trim.3.jpg

• Like 2

Both....This is a seal between the spoiler  bottom edge and the window gap. I already applied silicone on top just like the TSB the dealership would have done except I did not remove the spoiler. I cut the tip of the 3M silicone tube (I used 2 total/small one not the caulk gun type) and laid the bead above the window frame 4 months ago (still leak free) and this is just an extra precaution. I felt the need to eliminate any water getting to the window seam would be best for long term.

I also applied the same marine seal on the roof between the cab and the spoiler ( see my previous post page 203). I know my work and it's satisfying to know that given time and some care you can seal your window up and save the hassle of warranty work mistakes and damage.
Trim.3.thumb.jpg.5592e65df7e295c432db110cd490a86f.jpg
I've been thinking about doing something like this, as it makes sense to me to keep the water out of the spoiler gap and away from the top of the window. Have to try it. Thanks for posting the info and details - greatly appreciated.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Kclyatt said:

Trim.3.jpg

Can you show what you did at the ends of the spoiler driver or passenger side is fine?  The spoiler gap does a 90 degree to towards the back.