Jump to content
  • Sign up for FREE! Become a GM-Trucks.com Member Today!

    In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Rear window leak


Demon

Recommended Posts

On 2/24/2021 at 12:52 PM, Kclyatt said:

Update....Few months into sealing my rear glass and happy to report no further leaks. I recently sealed up my spoiler as a added guarantee because as we can see GM does not have our best interests in mind. I used door trim from Lowes and this particular type has ridges to help with the trim tool to push into the tight space and also has adhesive on the back to hold into place once set. The third brake light I used clear silicone (same type 3M) since that gap was too tight for trim.

 

Hope my enthusiasm to prevent future leaks helps another in this exclusive club of leakers!

trim.1.jpg

trim.2.jpg

Trim.3.jpg

Thank you for sharing this. Can you advise what 3m silicone you used and possibly provide a link? 
 

Thanks again,

JMF

Link to comment
Share on other sites

TSB Sealing Repair Completed – UPDATE

 

Quick background – Picked up my ’21 Sierra on 12/4/20. Within 10 days of ownership I had the leak on both sides at the top of the slider. Dealer completed the TSB, and I could see a heavy bead of the sealer that was laid across the top frame of the slider.  After the TSB was done I didn’t see any leaks and continue to check very closely after every rain. I have a small towel sitting on top of the rear seat back rest just in case the slider starts leaking again. About a month ago during a steady rain I saw a drop of water from the same location - literally a few drips where it was barely leaking, but the towel on the seat back rest was dry to the touch as was the carpeting.

 

As others in this thread have suggested and since it was barely leaking I decided to try the flowable silicone (permatex 81730) rather than have the truck torn apart again. When we had a warm day I cleaned the top of the slider as best I could and also taped off the top of the glass on the slider to try and minimize the mess. I used a full tube of the permatex and made a few passes across the top of the slider frame, being careful to not overfill the area. As other posters have mentioned that have used this product it is thin and runny, so being careful minimizes the clean up.

 

Since using the flowable silicone 4 weeks ago we have had both snow and rain. Over the past week we have had significant rain, including long periods of drizzle, solid rain and heavy down pours. So far no leaks, so the effort was well worth it. I can see along the top of the slider frame where the flowable silicone has dried there is an even layer of silicone across the complete gap. It looks like the permatex product took care of any small gaps that the TSB work didn't completely seal. So far I’m really impressed with the permatex product and will use it again should I see a small leak in the future.

 

Pic below of where it was leaking and also of the permatex product used. Thanks to everyone that recommended this product and the idea.

 

 

leak.JPG

permatex.JPG

Edited by DSW1519
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, DSW1519 said:

TSB Sealing Repair Completed – UPDATE

 

Quick background – Picked up my ’21 Sierra on 12/4/20. Within 10 days of ownership I had the leak on both sides at the top of the slider. Dealer completed the TSB, and I could see a heavy bead of the sealer that was laid across the top frame of the slider.  After the TSB was done I didn’t see any leaks and continue to check very closely after every rain. I have a small towel sitting on top of the rear seat back rest just in case the slider starts leaking again. About a month ago during a steady rain I saw a drop of water from the same location - literally a few drips where it was barely leaking, but the towel on the seat back rest was dry to the touch as was the carpeting.

 

As others in this thread have suggested and since it was barely leaking I decided to try the flowable silicone (permatex 81730) rather than have the truck torn apart again. When we had a warm day I cleaned the top of the slider as best I could and also taped off the top of the glass on the slider to try and minimize the mess. I used a full tube of the permatex and made a few passes across the top of the slider frame, being careful to not overfill the area. As other posters have mentioned that have used this product it is thin and runny, so being careful minimizes the clean up.

 

Since using the flowable silicone 4 weeks ago we have had both snow and rain. Over the past week we have had significant rain, including long periods of drizzle, solid rain and heavy down pours. So far no leaks, so the effort was well worth it. I can see along the top of the slider frame where the flowable silicone has dried there is an even layer of silicone across the complete gap. It looks like the permatex product took care of any small gaps that the TSB work didn't completely seal. So far I’m really impressed with the permatex product and will use it again should I see a small leak in the future.

 

Pic below of where it was leaking and also of the permatex product used. Thanks to everyone that recommended this product and the idea.

 

 

leak.JPG

permatex.JPG

What dealer did the original TSB for you?  I am also in Bucks County, and was thinking of taking it to Faulkner.  

Thanks in advance!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, SPASierra said:

What dealer did the original TSB for you?  I am also in Bucks County, and was thinking of taking it to Faulkner.  

Thanks in advance!

I had the TSB done at O'Neil GMC in Warminster. They used an outside glass specialist and they did a good job. I can't even tell the truck had been touched. I bought this truck at O'Neil, and I'm very happy with how they've treated me - both in sales and service. I attribute the slight leak (after the TSB) to the crappy window frame design.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, DSW1519 said:

I had the TSB done at O'Neil GMC in Warminster. They used an outside glass specialist and they did a good job. I can't even tell the truck had been touched. I bought this truck at O'Neil, and I'm very happy with how they've treated me - both in sales and service. I attribute the slight leak (after the TSB) to the crappy window frame design.  

Thanks for the quick reply!  I will give them a call!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have a 2021 1500 AT4, I've washed it once and didn't notice any leaking. Only 1200 miles on it and I garage it every night. Tagging this thread for when mine does start leaking..
 
Washing doesn't usually have enough standing water to get the leak going like sitting in the rain. Wish you luck. So far my 2nd attempt, replaced whole window, has worked.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Add me to the list, 2020 AT4. Built Nov 2019 in mexico. 17,000 miles. Home garage, and work garage, and live in PHX, so not much water exposure. I'll probably wait a while to see if GM can come up with a good fix.1cb891b6f0ea35301c51b01c23234629.jpg7eebef29ea3335764b63e79080920844.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.