In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Demon

Rear window leak

First time poster, long time lurker. I have a 10/2018 built T1 with the rear window leak issue. I have already opened a case with GM corporate and am scheduled to drop off the truck at the dealership tomorrow morning. In my case, the top of the window frame is cracked all the way through and is visible within the cab. I am concerned that the dealership is going to attempt to reseal the window and not replace the window. Any advice before I drop off the truck tomorrow? Based on this thread, I am anticipating that this will be a lengthy process before I have a resolution.

T1_rear_window_leak.jpg

T1_rear_window_leak_2.jpg

T1_rear_window_leak_3.jpg

I would just make sure to point out that full thickness crack and make very clear it needs to be a new window. I believe that is what the TSB mentions as well, that they need to inspect the frame and if cracked, replace.  Good luck, going to be a long ordeal unfortunately. 

Just joined the club, not exactly what I wanted! 

Truck is a 2019 High Country with 1500 miles and purchased 30 days ago.  Build date is 8/18 with the passenger side leaking.  Truck is at dealership right now and was told they have ordered the sealant and will advise when it arrives.  Currently on the phone with Customer Care.

Amazed they can't just replace the window when there are visible cracks!  Sealant is a band aide fix for something that is BROKEN.  This is not a seal issue, it is a broken/defective part that needs to be replaced.  GM needs to own this and take better care of their customers.

56 minutes ago, AK High Country said:

Just joined the club, not exactly what I wanted! 

Truck is a 2019 High Country with 1500 miles and purchased 30 days ago.  Build date is 8/18 with the passenger side leaking.  Truck is at dealership right now and was told they have ordered the sealant and will advise when it arrives.  Currently on the phone with Customer Care.

Amazed they can't just replace the window when there are visible cracks!  Sealant is a band aide fix for something that is BROKEN.  This is not a seal issue, it is a broken/defective part that needs to be replaced.  GM needs to own this and take better care of their customers.

The most fascinating part of your report is that your truck sat on a dealer's lot for 13 months. Wow. 

Sorry you had to "join the club". 

Update: Got my truck back today with the replaced rear window.

Problem 1 - Initially told it would be done by 3 yesterday so I said, "If it'll be done before 5 just give me a lift to work and pick me up when its done."  Then he said... well... it might not be done so we better get you a rental.  He called me at 3 yesterday and said it was done and that i could pick it up.  I said id drop off the rental and come right over.  15 minutes later he calls back to say its not actually done because the glue needs to dry overnight.

Problem 2 - I immediately noticed how filthy it was.  They didn't even make an effort to clean the rear window or surrounding area that was worked on.  It wasn't spotless going in but definitely came back filthy.  I looked down between the bed and cab and there was a huge strip of the old glue sitting on my exhaust waiting to fry.

Problem 3 - I could still see the messy caulk job on the top seam.  I figured with a whole new window, the glue would look perfect.

Problem 4 - There is a quarter inch gap between the spoiler and the glass on the left side.  About midway across it goes from a gap to line to line.  Spoiler is actually touching the glass above the slider and the right side.  Looks like the spoiler is jacked up.

Problem 5 - Below the glass there are scratches, presumably from a careless job cutting the old glue with a blade.  It almost looks as though they tried to hide it with touch up paint.

Problem 6 - Icing on the cake!  I opened one of the doors and heard a tink-tink sound come from between the bed and cab.  I assumed something was hanging in there.  When I looked I saw the left pressure equalizing vent contraption hanging out.  Its resting against the bed so when I open a door, it sucks it into place, making the first tink sound then falls back against the bed making the second sound.  They must have pressed too hard putting the rear seat padding back in and popped it out.  Of course you can't reach it to put it back in.  I got the service adviser and showed him.  He went to talk to the mechanic and came back and said there was no way they could have done that but that they'd fix it under warranty.  They need to order a new part he said.  I betting it would pop back in but they didn't even want to try.

I never noticed the defogging strips being so noticeable on my old window but I never paid much attention.  The giant vertical gold bands are kinda ugly.  Is this what the original one looked like?  

Overall, very disappointed in the workmanship on my new truck.  You would think for what I paid they'd take a little better care of it.  Not sure what to do from here...

More photos:

#1 - Some sort of glue or something smudged all over the side

2.jpg

#2 - Notice how the gap is uneven, spoiler touching the glass on the right side but not the left.

3.jpg

Messy rear window smudge, still has suction cup marks

4.jpg

Tiny bit of a gap on the right but then the spoiler seems to dip down to the point where it touches the glass

7.jpg

Spoiler looks a little deformed just to the right of the slide, just above the glass

8.jpg

Edited by n8huntsman

Funny, I noticed my spoiler looked a little off after the original seal, but I didn’t say anything as I figured I’m just really type A....and of course it leaked again 3 days later so I didn’t have to sit and look at it all day long worried about it.  What a mess, sorry we are all in the mess together.  

Well so far my 2020 has been dry for 2 months. I feel all the new members pain. It really sucks and there is nothing they can do that will ever make it right other than a buyback. My 19 was in the shop so many days waiting for headliner and window that I could never get the smell of the shop out of my truck. I get in my 2020 and it smells fresh and new. The 10 speed is awesome too. I hope you all have luck like I did and manage to get gm to agree to a buy back.

I still check my window on the 2020 Everytime it rains waiting for that first drop. Although it's 12 degrees out so not much rain lately.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I am not sure which is worse the leaking Silverados or the freezing door locks on all the F150s. At least we can get in our leaky trucks, so there is that..

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I have the solid rear window.  In the portions of this thread that I have read, this all seems to be pertinent to the rear sliding windows. 

Am I correct?  Or do owners with the solid rear window also have this problem?

Wow i tell you that state of GM dealer techs is a pretty sad site today imo. No more do you go to a dealer for quality work, you are more than likely to get a hacked together job from most gm dealers today then a local mom and pop auto shop it seems! I would go find another dealer Huntsman though chances are they are just all the same, sad that they give it back to you in that condition

I got a text message from my dealer that GM was looking into my issue with them on Monday. Today I got a phone call to bring it in so they can try to figure out what needs to be done and to pick up a Malibu to drive. I have Christmas with the in-laws this weekend and have to drive 3hrs away and really need the bed of my truck instead of my wife’s traverse so I’m  Going to take it in on Monday. Got a 5 day ski trip planned for Snowshoe WV on Jan 1st. I hope it’s fixed by then I’d really like to have r wheel drive and comfort for that drive if needed.