In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Demon

Rear window leak

Any reported success with either the caulking job or with a new window?   

I found a few trickles of water on my passenger rear.  Literally a few drops after a car wash.  So it is beginning for me.  

14 minutes ago, SilveradoRST said:

Any reported success with either the caulking job or with a new window?   

I found a few trickles of water on my passenger rear.  Literally a few drops after a car wash.  So it is beginning for me.  

My windows was caulked and it has been leak free for 1 year. Others have reported the opposite and new windows normally work but some users have reported failures. Shamrockshooter had his window replaced and it leaked. Lemon Law kicked in and his 2020 unit window leaked. But he believed his steep driveway meeting the roadway might have caused the cab to shift causing the window to crack.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rocz3cqg said:

My windows was caulked and it has been leak free for 1 year. Others have reported the opposite and new windows normally work but some users have reported failures. Shamrockshooter had his window replaced and it leaked. Lemon Law kicked in and his 2020 unit window leaked. But he believed his steep driveway meeting the roadway might have caused the cab to shift causing the window to crack.

Thanks.  Sounds like there is hope yet to stopping the leaks.  I’ll have to wait until mine leaks a bit more.  I already wiped away what was there and there is no evidence of corrosion or water stains anywhere yet.  

For those that are following along -

had a rear window replaced and the paint was scratched down to the primer so the window came back off today.  Taken to body shop for repair.  Well, underneath the window unknown to anyone, there was actually a violation of the primer coat so a great way to let rust form in the cab around where the window was removed.  I got to watch the whole process, looks fairly easy to rip that paint and primer up with some of the tools, so anyone with a window replacement should probably watch vigilantly for rust issues at either of the lower corners of the window.  

picture for attention. 

E4E8EB5D-45D5-48FC-AB06-FC7D89BD95AD.jpeg

F3471BD1-7D04-4C26-8B86-63CEDA5C177E.jpeg

30A7E935-1ED7-4056-B3F7-AE04EB085BEF.jpeg

784804B1-FBF6-473A-923C-0F4F9EB4D9FE.jpeg

That looks like a disaster. Thanks for the heads up, I'm currently waiting on a window. How long did you have to wait on your window to come it?

1 minute ago, Jamie73 said:

That looks like a disaster. Thanks for the heads up, I'm currently waiting on a window. How long did you have to wait on your window to come it?

10/31 to 11/26 for caulk job and headliner

12/5/19 to 1/15/20 waiting on just a rear window.  And that was after a few calls to management, dealership, etc

Wow, unbelievable. So, about 6 weeks for a window, damn, I'm only half way there. Thanks!

4 minutes ago, Centrebaseball said:

10/31 to 11/26 for caulk job and headliner

12/5/19 to 1/15/20 waiting on just a rear window.  And that was after a few calls to management, dealership, etc

Wow, I'm assuming the time consuming part of the caulk job was getting in a headliner?

I just dropped mine off at the dealer today. They put me in an equinox. I'm not going to be happy in it for long if it takes 5+ days.

Mine went in for repair yesterday 1/23/20 and the local dealership in AZ (Van Chevrolet of Scottsdale) didn't have any idea these leaks were happening etc.  I educated them with the details on this forum and they got a call from GM with my case number.   Thank you to the person (I lost the user name) who recently posted the window part number and their case number!   I gave that to my GM rep and had them look up the case,  I asked that they give that to my dealer so they have the PN and GM can verify this is happening to multiple people.   I wish we had a sticky where everyone could post their case number for reference etc.  It's one thing for us to say 50 of us have had an issue but if we provide case numbers, they have to respect that!  

My GM Customer Care number - 9-5767824604  (Mine is not repaired yet, getting the caulking now!)

Previous poster (thank you) GM case number 9-50464569447 - (This one had the repair and window part number below)

Window part number from previous post - Window - 84569182 - Window 16.464 N is what it says for description.

See below for screenshot of original poster - 

image.png.9e1a5d82a06561d128beb2e6b90bde9f.png

I hope this helps someone escalate and get GM to recognize the issue a little more.  Thank you to everyone who has gone through this process and shared their feedback!   Please put case numbers if you are cool with sharing for others.

Smitty

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Smitty said:

Mine went in for repair yesterday 1/23/20 and the local dealership in AZ (Van Chevrolet of Scottsdale) didn't have any idea these leaks were happening etc.  I educated them with the details on this forum and they got a call from GM with my case number.   Thank you to the person (I lost the user name) who recently posted the window part number and their case number!   I gave that to my GM rep and had them look up the case,  I asked that they give that to my dealer so they have the PN and GM can verify this is happening to multiple people.   I wish we had a sticky where everyone could post their case number for reference etc.  It's one thing for us to say 50 of us have had an issue but if we provide case numbers, they have to respect that!  

My GM Customer Care number - 9-5767824604  (Mine is not repaired yet, getting the caulking now!)

Previous poster (thank you) GM case number 9-50464569447 - (This one had the repair and window part number below)

Window part number from previous post - Window - 84569182 - Window 16.464 N is what it says for description.

See below for screenshot of original poster - 

image.png.9e1a5d82a06561d128beb2e6b90bde9f.png

I hope this helps someone escalate and get GM to recognize the issue a little more.  Thank you to everyone who has gone through this process and shared their feedback!   Please put case numbers if you are cool with sharing for others.

Smitty

Should everyone be opening a case? I figured I wouldn't unless I had a long repair time.

I opened a case yesterday. It certainly cannot hurt. I've been waiting on a window for three weeks and all the dealer will tell me is I don't know. So I hope to talk to someone that does.

So I dropped off my truck this morning. I just received a phone call that it is only a bad seal on the rear window. I asked about cracks on the window or window frame or if the seal is bad on the spoiler and he said no to all of the above. I'm not sure if anyone else has received this diagnosis, but I will definitely be dousing it once I bring it home.

• Like 1

So I dropped off my truck this morning. I just received a phone call that it is only a bad seal on the rear window. I asked about cracks on the window or window frame or if the seal is bad on the spoiler and he said no to all of the above. I'm not sure if anyone else has received this diagnosis, but I will definitely be dousing it once I bring it home.

Mine is pretty much the same. Everything is good and only leaking from one hole on the spoiler. They are going to seam seal it and hopefully it takes care of it. I didn’t even notice it, my truck was at the dealer for another issue and the tech mentioned it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

33 minutes ago, sdkraemer said:

Should everyone be opening a case? I figured I wouldn't unless I had a long repair time.

I would personally open a case if the window area was leaking at all.   This way you have official record if issues happen after that 36,000 miles and hopefully by then they know how to really address this.  It's a simple phone call that may help you in the future vs. having a huge issue for you to pay for when it's out of warranty etc. 

I called 1-866-790-5600

As others have stated, just keep documentation on this.  Heck even if you just write the case number down on a piece of paper and put it in your owners manual for future reference it may help. 

I just got a call that they did the silicone on mine, they are going to water test and clean the headliner if it passes on Monday and hopefully it's good to go.  If not WINDOW time..   Luckily the staining on mine was minimal and very tough to notice. 

Add me to list of leaky window owners. The dealer said to bring it in next week for a rear spoiler reseal. I suppose that’s my only option at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk