In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Demon

Rear window leak

This whole thread is making me sick to my stomach thinking that they will essentially have to wreck my truck to fix the leaky rear window when that day comes!

Edited by wacnstac
  • Like 1

We should create a poll on this thread so that it can be easily seen how many people on the forum have this issue.  

Can we do that with this forum? 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, gre24ene said:

So I dropped off my 2020 TB LT on Thursday to have the leaking rear window fixed. I was called and told the truck is ready this AM.  The dealership told me it was the 3rd brake light leaking, and not the window.  So after signing the paperwork I said "I'm going to go inspect my truck real quick".  I looked at the 3rd brake light from the bed of the truck and all looked good.  Then I went in the truck to look at the rear window area and I saw "blue fiberglass" dust all over my leather seats.  Then I look at the headliner and there is a noticeable 4 inch crack in the fiberglass liner and the fabric is buckled where the crack is.  

I go inside and ask for a manager, who comes out and he immediately sees it.  He said they will fix it, but wanted me to know how involved the R&R of the headliner is.  My truck is black so I feel like the paint is so soft that if you sneeze on it, it will scratch.  I don't have faith they can remove the windshield and install the headliner without doing some type of damage.  

I'm thinking of telling them to give me a credit for the amount it would cost to R&R the headliner, and using that to get a Borla exhaust.  Does anyone think they will "barter" with me?

I have to ask.  Why would you want to leave your headliner broken??

• Like 1

Actually created a Poll to record this in the interests of statistics.  

• Like 1

This whole thread is making me sick to my stomach thinking that they will essentially have to wreck my truck to fix the leaky rear window when that day comes!

My thoughts exactly. Not thrilled about having my truck with 900 miles on it dissembled already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, Steve-2019 said:

I have to ask.  Why would you want to leave your headliner broken??

I don't want to "live" with a broken headliner, but I dont have faith it can be fixed without causing other issues.  So if I can get something to offset the damage it may be in my best interest to go in that direction.

2 hours ago, lebag335 said:

Picture of headliner showing the dip??

Here you go. Not very visible but when (lightly) pressed with a finger it goes all the way in.

09A4F284-20AB-42E6-A2BA-86AF8951ED48.jpeg

C4B20B6C-1F9E-49CE-A1F4-8AED91694CBF.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the tip to let them know right away. I actually took it back just now so that service advisor could see it for himself and make a note for next time. He had the tech look at it and apparently the headliner fix is a bit more involved where they have to take the pillar covers back off and glue back to the roof *sigh*. Nothing surprises me anymore..

Forgot to mention, I asked my service advisor what their process was (just to make sure he was familiar with this issue) and he rattled off everything in the TSB without looking at it and said "you wouldn't believe how many of these we have had to fix". 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DuRsT said:

Actually created a Poll to record this in the interests of statistics.  

Great idea and thanks!

Where might this be? Link?

Edited by OHDenali

Maybe someone should accidentally drive a golf ball thru the glass and let safe lite replace it correctly... IDK at this point..... 

I wondered this driving today, wondered if safelite has a fix

1 hour ago, tinbad said:

Here you go. Not very visible but when (lightly) pressed with a finger it goes all the way in.

09A4F284-20AB-42E6-A2BA-86AF8951ED48.jpeg

C4B20B6C-1F9E-49CE-A1F4-8AED91694CBF.jpeg

There is a slight dip in mine after they sealed the read window but it is not as bad as this.  Mine doesn't dip below the metal frame/bar.    

You all talk about the dealers saying “their glass guy”, any dealer in Wichita I’ve been to, doesn’t have their own “glass guy” they all use safelite, so is their “glass guy” just safelight or another Company?

Any word if new ones coming off the lines are leaking now, if I ordered one that would be delivered in 2 months, would it be fixed because Of TSB

Appreciate the poll being created.

Still need someone to get Detroit Free Press to do an article and get GM on record about this issue. 1. How many trucks are affected. 2. What is/was the route cause or are they still investigating. 3. Will they extend warranty for this part for 10yr/100k mi 4. What can they do gain customer confidence.  If they squawk at these questions then either A. they don't know how to fix it yet or B. they are scared the info will upset stakeholders and scare off sales.

1 hour ago, disneybaker said:

You all talk about the dealers saying “their glass guy”, any dealer in Wichita I’ve been to, doesn’t have their own “glass guy” they all use safelite, so is their “glass guy” just safelight or another Company?

Any word if new ones coming off the lines are leaking now, if I ordered one that would be delivered in 2 months, would it be fixed because Of TSB

All the dealers around here sub contract out to local glass company.