Trade in for a 2018 Silverado or not

I currently have a 2015 Silverado and thinking about trading in for a 2018 Silverado.  There are a lot of good deals on the 2018 but trying to decide if it's worth it.  I know there are some upgrades,  Apple Play, LED Lights but I don't see a huge difference.  Maybe I missing something.  I thought I read somewhere that someone traded-in their 2015  5.3 for a 2018 5.3 and felt a difference in power.  Not sure if this is true?? The other option would be to keep my 2015 and spend the money on a leveling kit and bigger tires or just hold onto to it for another year for when they'll have incentives on the new models.  Saw a 2019 double cab on the lot that looked awesome!! 

There are very few changes between 2015 to 2018. Yes, you do get new grille and LED lights. Maybe upgrade to the 8 speed transmission. I'd never do that. but that's just me, I want to keep a vehicle and drive it into the ground.

Also, there are many who won't buy the 1st year of a new generation because there are unknown problems that they can usually work out by the 2nd year model. So I would say, either get the 18 now because its a good price, or wait for the 2020.

I HATE the 19 and will not spend $1 for one. Thus I traded a 15 and got an 18. I feel the trade was almost worth it for Apple Car play. Im still pissed GM didn't update the 15's. We all got screwed on that. I don't see any difference in the trucks other then the options I made darn sure I had. This time I have an integrated trailer brake controller and got a Sierra not a Silverado this time around. I love the truck very glad I went with it after canceling my order on a 19. 

Test drive a 2019 and didn't see huge differences from my 2016 other than it's bigger and has worse blind spots.

I traded my 2014 for my 2016 and that was a bigger difference to me, the headlights especially and Car-play.

You have no idea how bad the 14/15 are until you drive the truck with better lights.

I'm half considering going to an 18 over the 19.

Plus the price jump in Canadian $$$ is huge on the 19's.  Trucks that ran 55K Canadian are now 65K That extra 10K is hard to stomach on an already expensive vehicle.

The 16 may be kept till the wheels fall of ha ha

5 minutes ago, BigBadSierra said:

I traded my 2014 for my 2016 and that was a bigger difference to me, the headlights especially and Car-play.

You have no idea how bad the 14/15 are until you drive the truck with better lights.

I forgot about the headlights. The headlights on my 2010 were better then the ones on my 15

14 minutes ago, BigBadSierra said:

Test drive a 2019 and didn't see huge differences from my 2016 other than it's bigger and has worse blind spots.

I'm half considering going to an 18 over the 19.

Plus the price jump in Canadian $$$ is huge on the 19's.  Trucks that ran 55K Canadian are now 65K That extra 10K is hard to stomach on an already expensive vehicle.

The 16 may be kept till the wheels fall of ha ha

After playing with the build and price tool, it appeared that to hit a reasonable price point, I'd need to go for a Chevy instead of the GMC, but that would be a downgrade from my '18 GMC, IMO, since Custom and WT trims have gone back to halogen headlamps.

I'll admit, I really like the headlights and Car Play on my 2018.  Car Play was hardly on my radar when shopping for my truck, since I had never used it before.  But, after using it, I highly recommend it. 

33 minutes ago, BigBadSierra said:

27 minutes ago, frenchsquared said:

I forgot about the headlights. The headlights on my 2010 were better then the ones on my 15

For you sierra guys complaining about the 14-15 headlights, the Silverados didn't have that problem. So trading in just for the new headlights is useless.

my $.02: I think the 19's are hard to look at. If I was hellbent on upgrading I'd get an 18 and wait to see the next generation. But I don't think there are enough improvements on 18 to justify the cost over keeping my 15. 

• Like 1

I think i like the halogens of my 15 better than the the LEDs on my 18. I have got a very crooked cut off on dim that annoys the piss out of me. My wife has a Charger and her cutoff is fine.

With the deep discounts even on 6.2s it would be hard to wait to see what transpires on 19 pricing. Also factor in the 19 up-charge their going to want..

Some great points to be taken!!  I really do like my 15 but maybe really should test drive the 18 to decide.  Also, I noticed the 19's on the lot had 3.23 gear ratio where as 15 and 18 are 3.42.  Not sure if this is huge. 

3 minutes ago, buzz70b said:

Some great points to be taken!!  I really do like my 15 but maybe really should test drive the 18 to decide.  Also, I noticed the 19's on the lot had 3.23 gear ratio where as 15 and 18 are 3.42.  Not sure if this is huge. 

You can get the 3.42 in a 19 if you get the Max Tow Package.

You can add CarPlay to the 15 yeah it ain’t cheap to do it but it’s cheaper than a new truck payment.

The big Chevy dealer around here has a program where you can test drive a demo vehicle for three days. They have select trims models they use then sell them off after 3k miles or so currently they have 18s and 19s as demos. Be worth checking around your area to see if one of the stealerships does something similar so you could compare the lights of the 18 to your 15.  The local small dealer intown will let you take a used truck home overnight just have to give them the wife will have to see it or I don’t know if it fits in tha garage excuse ect. if you could find one with a used 18 on the lot.

Edited by wforrest08

My 2015 has only 24k miles.  I just had it at the dealer for routine maintenance and everytime I walk through the lot to kill time while I'm waiting for my truck I get these crazy ideas of wanting something new.  But after a few days I begin to see the bigger picture. 

Edited by buzz70b
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, buzz70b said:

My 2015 has only 24k miles. 

I'm in a similar situation.  My 16 has 23K and have been eying the leftover 18 deals for a few months.  It's not something I have to do, but would consider if the right deal came up. 

My view is you're going to pay one way or the other.  I know some guys like to drive them into the ground and pay for maintenance and repairs along the way.  By the time you need a new truck, how do you handle the large gap between a new truck price and little left to trade or sell privately? 

I'm not interested in a 19, and wouldn't buy first year anyway.  As someone mentioned I'd wait until 2020 or 2021.  I'm getting trade figures around $30K for my 16 trade.  If I can get an 18 for high 30's, that's pretty decent to start the clock over and drive it for a few years until the new design shakes out.  If I wait a couple years, I'll guarantee my trade will be high teens low 20's with much higher mileage and a new truck could be 50K????  That gap is tougher to take.

In the end, I'll only do it if the numbers make sense.

• Like 1