New Tires for 2015 Silverado LT 5.3 DCSB

bvaile

Good Morning

Looking to throw on a new set of tires before winter sets in. Currently running the 265/70R17 original set and they are scary. Wet traction is close to zero with few leaves on the road. I am going to keep the stock wheels for now and want to upgrade to a 285/70R17 tire. The truck has a 1.5 inch leveling kit on the front already. 

I am between a: BFGoodrich KO2 (C) rated, and the Bridgestone Revo 3 (P) rated. This is a daily driver doesn't get much offroad other than occasional dirt roads for fishing and firewood. 

The biggest difference between these two tires is the weight, at the 285 size the KO2 is 16lbs. heavier per corner. 

I like the look of the KO2 the best but I am afraid of absolutely destroying my fuel economy going with a bigger and much heavier tire. From what I have read most people lose between 1-3 mpg making this switch, which I would be ok with. 

Looking for some opinions. 

Thanks 

Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Cooper&tireModel=Discoverer+AT3+4S&partnum=665TR8DA4SOWL&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Chevrolet&autoYear=2015&autoModel=Silverado 1500 4wd&autoModClar=Crew Cab

I think you're paying more for BFG to get the recognizable tread pattern, but they don't perform any better than other AT tires. You really don't need overly aggressive treads for the driving you describe.

• Like 1

I have the Revo 2s on my 2500HD plow truck been on there last 4/5 winters. I’m assuming your in snow county and are worried about traction in snow? If so the Revos on my truck are about as good as any other AT tire I’ve had on any other truck I’ve owned. Only time I’ve ever been stuck is when I’ve high centered it on unplowed gravel roads trying to get home and ice traction isn’t that great but that’s always the case with ATs anyway. I live on gravel so I always run E rated LTs instead of the P rated and this seems to help keep punctures to a minimum. It’s a nice compromise IMO at a minimum price & weight difference if your worried about that.

I have the LT Cooper AT3s on the 1/2 ton went with these because guys were getting more miles of them than the Revo 2s. Coopers are about equal IMO in every category (can’t comment on winter as don’t drive it) dry, wet, tread depth, and puncture resistance. But after 33k miles the AT3s have become loud due to uneven tread wear and have been rotated every 5k. Otherwise nice tires for the money. 

Edited by wforrest08

The KO2 sounds like a poor match for your use.  Between the two, I'd go for the Bridgestone. 

I like the Yokohama Geolandar AT G015.  Good wet traction, wear rating, and also gets the winter rated symbol. 

It comes in a smooth riding P285/70R17 117T at 45 lb per tire.

Edited by rkj__

People always talk about minimal off-road.  I don’t take my truck off-road as much as I used to, but the 4-5 times a year I do I’m glad I can rely on my tires. It would suck to have them fail miles and miles into the wilderness with no cell service. KO2s are worth every penny to me and haven’t let me down yet.  Had the original KOs on my last truck and that one saw way more abuse.  I never had an issue.  My lifetime average according to DIC is 18mpg so I’m content with fuel mileage.

24 minutes ago, rjpoog1989 said:

People always talk about minimal off-road.  I don’t take my truck off-road as much as I used to, but the 4-5 times a year I do I’m glad I can rely on my tires. It would suck to have them fail miles and miles into the wilderness with no cell service. KO2s are worth every penny to me and haven’t let me down yet.  Had the original KOs on my last truck and that one saw way more abuse.  I never had an issue.  My lifetime average according to DIC is 18mpg so I’m content with fuel mileage.

"Occasional dirt roads" is a very different requirement than "driving miles and miles into the wilderness with no cell service." 

My mother in law does not run beefy all terrain tires on her Hyundai Sonata, just because she lives on a farm surrounded by dirt roads.  All season tires get her by just fine, even after it rains.

Edited by rkj__

2 hours ago, rkj__ said:

"Occasional dirt roads" is a very different requirement than "driving miles and miles into the wilderness with no cell service." 

My mother in law does not run beefy all terrain tires on her Hyundai Sonata, just because she lives on a farm surrounded by dirt roads.  All season tires get her by just fine, even after it rains.

I’m just saying, you never know where you’ll find yourself.  It’s not always a planned thing either.  I’d say my truck sees occasional dirt roads, only 2-3 times this year. When it happens though it’s usually some spontaneous adventure on a rainy day. Are my KO2s overkill for 95% of my driving? Yes.  I do appreciate them though the other 5%, especially days like tomorrow with possibly 15 inches of snow.  

14 hours ago, rjpoog1989 said:

I’m just saying, you never know where you’ll find yourself.  It’s not always a planned thing either.  I’d say my truck sees occasional dirt roads, only 2-3 times this year. When it happens though it’s usually some spontaneous adventure on a rainy day. Are my KO2s overkill for 95% of my driving? Yes.  I do appreciate them though the other 5%, especially days like tomorrow with possibly 15 inches of snow.  

I get that.  It's nice to be prepared for events and conditions slightly beyond the expected. 

I think the 60,000 mile treadlife warranty on the Revo 3 is not something to be overlooked.  That is a very good number for an all terrain tire.  It matches the Geolandars I chose. 

Here's a review, with lots of pretty pictures of the Revo 3.

https://www.all-terraintires.com/blog/bridgestone-dueler-at-revo-3-review

Edited by rkj__

20 hours ago, BB68 said:

Coopers as at the time they were the cheapest. They sucked in snow, even worse in mud, and gravel shredded them. We never got full life out of them.

That has not been my experience. I ran them on my previous plow truck with great success. Tread lasted longer than I expected even with the additional weight of a plow on the front end. Traction was never an issue for me.

Can't say for extended driving on gravel, as our town roads are paved around here. But I imagine if you spend all day on gravel, most tires will suffer. 

1 minute ago, aseibel said:

Can't say for extended driving on gravel, as our town roads are paved around here. But I imagine if you spend all day on gravel, most tires will suffer. 

Some are better than others. I had a set of bfg rugged trails that went over 100k and still had square edges. I was going to buy another set of them but I seen they changed the tread pattern so I don't know if they also changed the compound too?