2019 Silverado or RAM - which should I buy?

cltsig

On 11/14/2018 at 5:00 PM, f8l vnm said:

go with what looks best to you inside and out , then also factor in the price 

Dont be brand loyal . All trucks are pretty much all the same now . 

Exactly, with SUV/trucks, I've gone from Nissan to Chevy, Ford, to my current '14 Ram Laramie.  Time to replace the Ram, it's given me 115k trouble free miles so far and has pulled 7,500lbs of boat without much fuss, but I"m getting the itch for something new.

The '19 GMC has caught my eye, though I might go 3/4 ton this time.  Still haven't decided.  There are things I really like about the Ram that make me lean towards a 19, but I'm also inclined to give GM a shot (despite having a Suburban that was a total POS, but that was 2 generations ago, so water under the bridge).   Like I always do, I'll drive 'em then buy the one  I like the best.  I really don't care which brand it is, I find it funny that some act like you kicked their dog when you say you don't like truck A.  

Also it's odd that one feature I really like about the Ram causes so much controversy.  The "shift knob", to me it makes so much sense, it's easy to reach, easy to use, and out of the way.  I've never accidentally selected neutral or do I ever have to touch the knob to manually select gears, just push the buttons on the steering wheel to control which gear I want (particularly nice when towing $7k lbs).  I'll admit it was weird at first, like after a day, it became natural to use like anything else. But like many things, it's not a deal breaker as there are so many more important areas to consider when spending $50k+.  

I" haven't sampled the new 12" uconnect in the Ram, but the 8" in my current Ram has been virtually flawless and I've never noticed issues with gloves, though 90% of the functionality is accessible with actual buttons.  Also, if you want a Ram and not Uconnect 12, just go with a model under a Limited, Uconnect 8 is standard on a Laramie through Laramie Longhorn.  Problem solved;).

I hope to do some test driving over the next few weeks.  I'll report back, I enjoy seeing other's points of view even if I don't see things the same way.  

IMO, with both GM twins and Ram being new models, problems are a higher probability with build quality etc, then say a Ford that's been in production longer (I know dirty word), but I'll look at the Fords too.  

• Like 2

That’s my next task.  Drove an 18 Silverado 2500 LTZ duramax.  Nice truck, love the diesel torque, but going from a Ram 1500 to that would take some getting used to.  This is going to be a tougher decision than I thought.  The dealer was extremely busy, so I didn’t get a chance to drive a 1500.

man its a totally different cat...the 6.2 has guts. I own a 16' 5.3 and It loves after burner after 80k but the 6.2 is in a hole class of its own.  Bad part is I took a 6.2 out for a test drive (19')  and now I want want one.  19' hc for me when I pull the pin, mine work offers cost plus 150 bucks so just waiting......

• Thanks 1

Hi all,
Previous '16 Yukon Denali (6.2) owner and can't see buying a Ford and Dodge/RAM was never really on the radar until now.  Grandpa always drove Chevy's so hard to envision driving Ford or Dodge. The Denali had the booming issue but not buffeting and occasional vibrations which shook my confidence in GM.  I stayed clear of the past version of the Shakerado and Sierra due to these issues.  It seems that problem has been rectified so in general, to me anyway, anything that comes up on the new models should be fixable unlike the Chevy Shake.  Anyway, I'm in the market for a new truck and I am considering the Silverado and RAM.  I've driven the Laramie Longhorn RAM but not the Silverado - yet.  The RAM rode nice but I wasn't overly blown away with how it drove.  I would say it was just fine.  One thing I missed on the RAM that the Silverado has is the ability to see the current speed limit somewhere on the dash or HUD.  I like that the new Silverado (considering a LTZ) has HUD available.  Oh yeah, the safety systems are important because this truck may go to my current 10 year old son once he is driving, so having safety systems is important.  And I really like listening to music so a good stereo is a necessity.  I hear the new Bose is nearly the same as what I had in the Denali, so my opinion is it's only adequate and lacking.  Here is my quick breakdown of the two trucks:

RAM:
Pros: great interior, lots of cubbies for the kids, 12" Uconnect is pretty cool, coil springs give a nice ride, 5.7 adequate
Cons: no HUD, no speed limit visible,  HK 19 speaker/900 watt stereo isn't very loud (apparently a TSB helps), Uconnect 12" screen has bugs but could be worked out over time, 5.7 Hemi not as peppy as 6.2 but better than 5.3, RAM long term reliability suspect although the lifetime warranty available from Chrysler is pretty reassuring.  To get safety you need to get 12" Uconnect which I don't need or really like, with 12" no dials/buttons for heated/cooled seats, AC, etc.

Silverado LTZ:
Pros: 6.2 rocks, HUD and speed limit visible at all times (nearly indispensable to me), volume of SB is larger, my opinion is it looks more masculine than the RAM, prefer GM
Cons: Stereo seems to be a step back volume-wise compared to RAM, interior not nearly as nice and overall just an iterative jump, 6.2 requires high octane,  

I would like to do something by the end of the year.  I can get a fairly loaded RAM for about $52k OTD and the Silvy for around $55k OTD, maybe slightly less.  So money-wise nearly the same.

I know this is a GM forum and I expect pro-GM responses but if brand loyalty wasn't a factor, which would you buy and why?  Anything I am not considering?

Thanks!

I’ve owned a couple Dodge/Rams, one 2wd Hemi which was the shop errand truck and one Cummins 2500 loaded out 4x4 which was my personal. The 1500 struggling to carry load and pull.
A buddy of mine tried to climb up into the back seat while holding on to the rear handle next thing I hear is him falling on the street because the handle broke off, poor guy got a light concussion. Cummins was in the shop every month with engine issues. Both fell apart within the first year of ownership. NEVER AGAIN A DODGE/RAM. I traded both of them at the same time and informed the dealership of issues hoping they’d fix it all. The one thing I’ll tell you, first time in my life Ive ever had a guilt trip, thinking of the poor sap that’s going to buy it.

Owned multiple Fords and GMs and the GM’s lasted the longest with much fewer issues or warranty issues if any. Good luck!

Ironically, compared to the last 3 vehicles I’ve owned, Suburban, Expedition, now Ram,  the Ram has been by far the most reliable. But that doesn’t mean I’m going to avoid GM because a 2000 Suburban was a total pile of crap (no exaggeration, it was horrible).  I did like the Expedition, but it had the typical 5.4 issues.

That all said, on paper I’m leaning towards a gmc 1500 6.2.

On 11/14/2018 at 1:55 PM, cltsig said:

Exactly.  I struggled on side roads trying to change the station and turn off the heated seats.  Don't want to click 3-4 times to do something simple.

So... On the Ram you have to click through multiple screens in order to turn off/on the heated or cooled seats? 

So... On the Ram you have to click through multiple screens in order to turn off/on the heated or cooled seats? 

Honestly there were probably shortcuts but that is what I experienced. With RAM, you can have two sections active at once. Radio, climate/sears or NAV are the big ones. If climate is always on the bottom, you’re all set. However, not sure you can make it “always” on. I decided against the RAM so not entirely sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Based on the quality of the outgoing K2 trucks, I would buy a Ram. Everyone complains about Ram quality but it would be hard to make something as bad as the K2 in that department. Love the GM trucks. The looks, ride and power, especially the K2, best looking pickup ever made besides the 1960 Chevy but I will be the first to admit it is a polished turd in terms of overall quality and long-term ownership. If I wasn't tied to GM in more ways than just liking them, I would for sure try out the Ram. Unfortunately I do business with them and need to maintain a relationship so I buy GM even knowing the current platforms aren't great.

• Like 2

On 11/17/2018 at 11:07 AM, BoatBum said:

Exactly, with SUV/trucks, I've gone from Nissan to Chevy, Ford, to my current '14 Ram Laramie. 

Like I always do, I'll drive 'em then buy the one  I like the best.  I really don't care which brand it is, I find it funny that some act like you kicked their dog when you say you don't like truck A.

:lol: 

Yeah same here, I have zero brand loyalty. I've had a Honda and jumped to Nissan, then got a Toyota, then a BMW, and now a Chevy Suburban. I've never bought the same make of vehicle twice in a row for myself. It's always something different. Always been a big fan of GM's small block V8's, but I drove the Ford and just didn't like it and wasn't going to work for us. Dunno why Dodge/RAM has never made one of these things, but if they did, I'd have considered and driven that too. Competition is a good thing and keeps everybody on their toes.

On 11/14/2018 at 12:42 PM, cltsig said:

Hi all,

Previous '16 Yukon Denali (6.2) owner and can't see buying a Ford and Dodge/RAM was never really on the radar until now.  Grandpa always drove Chevy's so hard to envision driving Ford or Dodge. The Denali had the booming issue but not buffeting and occasional vibrations which shook my confidence in GM.  I stayed clear of the past version of the Shakerado and Sierra due to these issues.  It seems that problem has been rectified so in general, to me anyway, anything that comes up on the new models should be fixable unlike the Chevy Shake.  Anyway, I'm in the market for a new truck and I am considering the Silverado and RAM.  I've driven the Laramie Longhorn RAM but not the Silverado - yet.  The RAM rode nice but I wasn't overly blown away with how it drove.  I would say it was just fine.  One thing I missed on the RAM that the Silverado has is the ability to see the current speed limit somewhere on the dash or HUD.  I like that the new Silverado (considering a LTZ) has HUD available.  Oh yeah, the safety systems are important because this truck may go to my current 10 year old son once he is driving, so having safety systems is important.  And I really like listening to music so a good stereo is a necessity.  I hear the new Bose is nearly the same as what I had in the Denali, so my opinion is it's only adequate and lacking.  Here is my quick breakdown of the two trucks:

RAM:

Pros: great interior, lots of cubbies for the kids, 12" Uconnect is pretty cool, coil springs give a nice ride, 5.7 adequate

Cons: no HUD, no speed limit visible,  HK 19 speaker/900 watt stereo isn't very loud (apparently a TSB helps), Uconnect 12" screen has bugs but could be worked out over time, 5.7 Hemi not as peppy as 6.2 but better than 5.3, RAM long term reliability suspect although the lifetime warranty available from Chrysler is pretty reassuring.  To get safety you need to get 12" Uconnect which I don't need or really like, with 12" no dials/buttons for heated/cooled seats, AC, etc.

Silverado LTZ:

Pros: 6.2 rocks, HUD and speed limit visible at all times (nearly indispensable to me), volume of SB is larger, my opinion is it looks more masculine than the RAM, prefer GM

Cons: Stereo seems to be a step back volume-wise compared to RAM, interior not nearly as nice and overall just an iterative jump, 6.2 requires high octane,  

I would like to do something by the end of the year.  I can get a fairly loaded RAM for about $52k OTD and the Silvy for around $55k OTD, maybe slightly less.  So money-wise nearly the same.

I know this is a GM forum and I expect pro-GM responses but if brand loyalty wasn't a factor, which would you buy and why?  Anything I am not considering?

Thanks!

I'm kind of in your situation.  I was trying to decide between 19 Sierra Denali and 19 Ram 1500 Limited.  I have a 2015 Sierra Denali 6.2 right now.  I came to hate it.

Torque converter had to be replaced at 70K miles

SXM antenna replaced

2 TPMS sensors quit working

8 speed can't decide what gear it wants to be in and will sometimes downshift quite harshly and clunk

Noticeable delay after shifting from P to D or R

Too many interior rattles/squeaks to count

Rides like a lumber wagon.  Some bumps are almost painful.

Abysmal lighting.

Infotainment system is so terribly slow and laggy.  I "upgraded" to 2018 radio and HMI module to get Android Auto.  It's a little better than my original 15 radio, but still terrible.

I was dead set on staying with GM and getting a 19 Sierra Denali.  I've been GM all my life, save for a Grand Cherokee I had for 2 months.  The HUD and tailgate were my main reasons for wanting a Sierra.  Ram wasn't on my radar.  By chance, I stumbled on to a picture of the Limited interior.  I'm into the tech stuff, so I was hooked right away.  I test drove 2 different 19 Limiteds.  I think they ride and drive like a dream.  Everything worked as it should.  They ride better than my GMT900 Escalades did. 

For me:

Sierra Denali

Pros: HUD, tailgate, exterior styling

Cons: Interior, no ACC, GM still behind competition

Ram 1500 Limited

Pros: Ride quality, air suspension, tech, RamBox, 12" screen

Cons: Reliability (??)

For reliability, ehh.  Everything breaks at some point.  2 out of my 6 GM vehicles have left me stranded.  I've had at least minor issues with every one of them.  It's going to happen.  The tech features, RamBox, and ride quality were enough to sway me to Ram for my next vehicle.  I've decided I'm going to wait and order a 2020. 

BTW, on the Ram 12" screen there are hard keys on either side of the screen for heating/AC.  You can control every function of heating/AC with hard keys.  The heated/cooled seats and heated wheel are the only things you need to use the screen for. 

Anyway, there's my take on it all.  I'm done with GM.  K2 was a step backwards in some ways.  I don't think T1 is enough to overcome that.  My confidence in GM is gone.

Edited by Banshee8732
  • Like 1

Dodge is garbage. Dodge is trying to appeal to those looking for higher refinements in a cheaper price truck, a sort of gimmicky more elegant than all previous years combined, their new touch screens are not user friendly and take your attention away from the fact that Dodge is still the piece of junk it’s always been, worst resale value of all. You can put a dress on a monkey but you can’t expect it to act like anything else than what it is.

GMC is the leader in refinements, they don’t call it professional grade for nothing.

• Like 3

I will leave the decision of what brand to buy up to the individual.

But I will say this, a relative who was a long time Dodge owner bought a new loaded Ram diesel that was a problem truck. 

He now has a loaded Silverado diesel and loves it.

So buy what you think will make you happy and hope it's not a problem child because they all make bad ones every once in a while.

:)

• Like 2

It’s amusing when other brands are called junk by kool-aid drinkers. I’ve owned all the brands, know people who love Rams, Fords, Chevys. In my business over 40 years it would be Ford, Ram, Chevy 3/4 ton diesels. Fords 2 to 1 over Ram very few Chevy work trucks driven by customers. In my travels fleets usually we’re Ford 1/2 tons then Chevy by municipalities and utility companies. My pulling years were Dodge Cummings, later Ford power stroke 7.3. My 1/2 ton years the last 20, Ford, Dodge, many GMs. Not one outlast the other, usually price was my deciding factor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4