Tips for long road trip with lifted silverado

bhardy

Hey everyone,

So tomorrow I will be getting my truck lifted with the 4.5 inch Zone lift on my 2014 Silverado. The tires are basically 32s. Next week my family and I plan on taking the truck on a road trip for Thanksgiving (approximately 1000 miles). I was wondering if this was ok to do with a newly lifted truck and all? Just want to be sure we will be safe on such a long road trip. Is there anything that I should keep in mind or be sure to do during the drive or after we get to our destination? Will we be ok to drive all the way there without having to re-torque anything?

Thanks guys

Truck gets built and nothing is ever retorqued when it leaves the factory.

I’ve never ever heard of (or even considered) retorquing anything after quality components are installed by competent people...?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The paperwork that came with my suspension as well and my suspension on my car all says re torque after 500. Also most factory bolts are torque to yield and are listed as needing to be replaced if used. Lastly A few dollars goes into a manufacturer engineering a automobile then we add aftermarket parts, I would re torque them. If you don't want to or don't have time I would take a white paint marker and mark all off the important bolts. 

For non believers (pronstar) read number 4 on last page under Post installation Warnings.

http://4x4media.info/instructions/zon/C2622.pdf

• Like 4

Does not sound like anything to be too concerned with on the re-torque just stop back in the install shop when you get back from your trip and have them check everything.

Lifts are cool. I just bought a beater vehicle to drive to work. 2009 Tahoe with a 3.5" lift. I get a Stabiltrac dash flashing light on hard turns due to the lift. But man, check out these Mayhem 8106 10 x 20 Hachets and Nitto Grapplers, aint it cool? Who cares about a little intermittent flashing yellow light anyway when it looks this good.... LOL  Enjoy your lift but watch for that pesky StabilTrac flashing light on the dash, seems to be a pretty common thing. 

5beced274556d_2009TahoeHybrid.thumb.jpg.115eaf1c8f919ab32d3e86f3224c78ce.jpg

Your shop will want to have it back for an inspection and once over after XXX number of miles. You should be fine. I think a few shakedown drives to check it out and familiarize yourself with the changes are appropriate before the trip. If you’re concerned, throw some tools in the bed. But, I would imagine you’ve picked a reputable shop, and they should go ver everything with you while it is up on the rack, before you drive it home as well. That may help assuage your concerns.

19 hours ago, 1SLOW1500 said:
The paperwork that came with my suspension as well and my suspension on my car all says re torque after 500. Also most factory bolts are torque to yield and are listed as needing to be replaced if used. Lastly A few dollars goes into a manufacturer engineering a automobile then we add aftermarket parts, I would re torque them. If you don't want to or don't have time I would take a white paint marker and mark all off the important bolts. 

For non believers (pronstar) read number 4 on last page under Post installation Warnings.

http://4x4media.info/instructions/zon/C2622.pdf

Good info
I’ve never even considered this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Edited by pronstar

You know what, I'm pretty sure I never had anything re-torqued after getting a Skyjacker kit put in my 2008 Canyon.  I never had an issue.  Now, don't take this as advice.  I'm not suggesting you skip the recommended re-torque, I'm simply sharing my experience. 

15 minutes ago, rkj__ said:

You know what, I'm pretty sure I never had anything re-torqued after getting a Skyjacker kit put in my 2008 Canyon.  I never had an issue.  Now, don't take this as advice.  I'm not suggesting you skip the recommended re-torque, I'm simply sharing my experience. 

I'm sure it was more of a liability and good practice for manufacturers to say that. And in 99% of the time no issue will come about.But we also know mistakes can be made also.  But if you think about it there are factory bolts that require torque sequence. With all the stress in suspension parts is it possible for a bolt to not be tight? Absolutely.  

I had my zone lift re-torqued after probably close to 1,000 miles.  The installer wanted to when I had my tires rotated and balanced.  Said it was just a good practice.

I wouldn't worry about it being more than 500 miles but I'd do it when I got back from the trip just for the peace of mind.

If you’re using quality parts and fasteners and torque wrench, why are we going over fasteners again? Are the fasteners stretching? Parts moving around? Do we up the torque the second time around? Interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are going to be perfectly fine, I wouldn't worry about it one bit. Whenever you get back from your trip take into the shop that put the lift on and check everything, just to be safe. Every single lift manufacturer and offload shop will tell you to come back in and get everything checked out as a CYA move. In the sue happy world we live in today everyone has to take extra precautions to protect themselves....see below. LOL

*Please note that this recommendation is what I would do and is no way a promise your lift won't fall of the truck*

Edited by TyGriff13