2019 license plate lights

55 minutes ago, boneill said:

Can you still see out the back up camera at night good after led license plate bulbs and led reverse bulbs ?

I heard it may affect the camera 

No change in mine.

Any one with a 2019 Sierra 1500 change out their reverse bulbs?

Evidently, they are different than the Chevy's.

I took off the tail light assembly to find just one connector for the entire light.

?

On 12/1/2018 at 11:59 AM, MadCaddie said:

Do you have a hitch?  My AT4 is gonna be a huge pain in the ass to change out those bulbs.  

I have a 19 AT4 and I worked real slow changing mine out. 5 minute job max for my install of the new bulbs. 

On 11/16/2018 at 8:40 AM, smit303 said:

How hard is it to change these out to led's? i looked under there and they looked tucked up so high i couldn't spit on them. the K2's weren't that bad. Anybody do this yet? Any recommendations on what bulbs to use?

I just swapped mine out for zevo 2825 white leds, I have huge hands and managed to get it done, it was super tight but I got em swapped and it looks so much better

• Like 1

On 11/17/2018 at 8:22 AM, OneTruck60Mexicans said:

I can confirm they’re the same size bulbs as the 2018s (194).  I bought a set of HP3s from Diode Dynamics - https://www.diodedynamics.com/license-plate-leds-for-1998-2017-gmc-sierra-2500-pair.html.  I took a chance because the truck is so new it was difficult to confirm.

It’s a little awkward to get to and remove the sockets, but definitely doable.  

I havent read the rest but use bulb # 194. i have done this myself. looks alot better

Thinking about doing the license plate bulb swap to LED. Never had to change them before. Once you twist the harness and plug out do the bulbs twist out of the socket or pull out?  Are there any tabs or releases holding the bulb? Finally, if they pull out, will it take some extra force or does the bulb come out pretty easily?

Thanks for the info!

5 minutes ago, Wheelguy said:

Thinking about doing the license plate bulb swap to LED. Never had to change them before. Once you twist the harness and plug out do the bulbs twist out of the socket or pull out?  Are there any tabs or releases holding the bulb? Finally, if they pull out, will it take some extra force or does the bulb come out pretty easily?

Thanks for the info!

The only hard part is reaching them. Once you contort up around the hitch and get your hand on it, the sockets are a quarter turn twist and they will fall out of the housing. Then the actual bulbs just pull straight out of the socket. They aren’t super tight but do take a little effort.

Pro tip #1, buy a name brand LED like Sylvania or Phillips. The Chinese junk on Amazon may be tempting in price but they are much brighter than necessary and don’t last very long...especially in hot or extreme cold weather.

Pro tip #2, test the new bulbs in the sockets before you reach up and twist them back in the housings. Most LEDs are polarity specific, so you have only a 25% chance of getting both right the first try. If one or both are wrong...no harm, the bulb just won’t work. Remove it and plug it back in 180 degrees from where it was and you’ll be good.

• Thanks 1

Did this and love the look and functionality. Much brighter. No issues with camera, actually, I think I can see better now. 

SO much better than the factory halogen. Why did they not come from the factory like this?!?

1 hour ago, OnTheReel said:

The only hard part is reaching them. Once you contort up around the hitch and get your hand on it, the sockets are a quarter turn twist and they will fall out of the housing. Then the actual bulbs just pull straight out of the socket. They aren’t super tight but do take a little effort.

Pro tip #1, buy a name brand LED like Sylvania or Phillips. The Chinese junk on Amazon may be tempting in price but they are much brighter than necessary and don’t last very long...especially in hot or extreme cold weather.

Pro tip #2, test the new bulbs in the sockets before you reach up and twist them back in the housings. Most LEDs are polarity specific, so you have only a 25% chance of getting both right the first try. If one or both are wrong...no harm, the bulb just won’t work. Remove it and plug it back in 180 degrees from where it was and you’ll be good.

Thanks so much for the info & tips. I’ve already gotten in there & twisted the socket out (passenger side) but didn't want to do much more without having an idea of what else to expect. Will do the driver’s side when I have a chance just to make sure I don’t have to position my hand differently. I think am going to go with Morimoto T10/194 bulbs.

Edited by Wheelguy

On 8/11/2019 at 10:44 PM, OnTheReel said:

Easy for me to reach and get the sockets and bulbs out.  However, the driver's side was an absolute bear to get back in but I eventually got it - and a couple of mild bruises on my thumb and index finger.  I guess the grommet/o-ring/seal was making things a bit more difficult on that side and I had to really push it in as I was turning it (the orientation was just not easy for getting a grip).  Got the new LEDs in the correct orientation in the sockets on the first try.  I ended up going with Morimoto T10s - white, obviously.  Thanks again for the words of wisdom.

LED.thumb.png.6bb17865595c790279d7b7feed1ff1aa.png

Edited by Wheelguy
  • Like 3