18 Silverado vs Hyundai Elantra

BuCrew

Well... Haven't even had the truck a year and someone rear ended me doing about 45-50. Both I believe are okay,, I haven't calmed down yet off the fight or flight attitude.

Stopped at a red light at 10 pm and saw a car coming up fast from behind. Couldn't pull into the intersection because of cars, so braced for impact and waited for the inevitable.

When she hit smoke filled my cabin but no airbags seem to have deployed? Seat belt did it's thing and 'broke' (whatever you want to call it).

QUESTION, you think it's totalled? She hit right on the hitch, unfortunately no hitch ball was on so it's mangled and so is the whole bumper. 

20181116_222413.jpg

3 hours ago, BuCrew said:

QUESTION, you think it's totalled? 

First and foremost your ok ? no it’s not totaled even if the frames bent it’s fixable and probably won’t put it in a salvage/rebuilt title cost wise. You’ll want to talk to your insurance agent about a possible diminished value claim every state it’s different but it’s the difference in price of the value of a vehicle at the time of the accident between a vehicle that has been damaged and one that hasn’t. 

Glad you are okay.  Hope everyone else is as well.  That looks like tale-tell texting damage to me.  My guess is it is not totaled, but as stated check into diminished value.  

From Google:  Kansas is a diminished value state, which means you may be entitled to the diminished value of your vehicle after an auto accident. ... You can't submit a Kansas diminished value claim if you were the at-fault party in an accident, or if the damage was caused by something other than a collision.  

20 minutes ago, BuCrew said:

I believe the cop said she was drinking so that is just awesome. And that's good news because this truck was my baby... I'm was supposed to be my toy hauler lol.

Similar happened to me.  The frame on my truck was bent and had to be replaced.  Total repair cost was around $8-$9k.  After the repair, I've had no issues, and it's been nearly three years now.

IMG_20160202_150627023.jpg

IMG_20160202_150233183.jpg

Glad you are OK.   Make sure you go to your Doctor in a timely manner and inform him/her of the impact.  We have a tendency to worry about the  impact on our vehicles but a good wallop can do unseen damage to our own bodies.  Even if you feel fine, this may give you some recourse should you experience issues at a later date.

Edited by Donstar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, BuCrew said:

I believe the cop said she was drinking so that is just awesome. And that's good news because this truck was my baby... I'm was supposed to be my toy hauler lol.

Maybe puts you in a better position insurance-wise, but hardly awesome.

19 hours ago, BuCrew said:

Well... Haven't even had the truck a year and someone rear ended me doing about 45-50. Both I believe are okay,, I haven't calmed down yet off the fight or flight attitude.

Stopped at a red light at 10 pm and saw a car coming up fast from behind. Couldn't pull into the intersection because of cars, so braced for impact and waited for the inevitable.

When she hit smoke filled my cabin but no airbags seem to have deployed? Seat belt did it's thing and 'broke' (whatever you want to call it).

QUESTION, you think it's totalled? She hit right on the hitch, unfortunately no hitch ball was on so it's mangled and so is the whole bumper. 

20181116_222413.jpg

Wow that car is smashed up. Glad all are ok. This is why I drive a full size truck and my wife drive a large suv. I just feel much safer with us and kids in them then small cars. 

4 hours ago, 15 Z71 said:

Wow that car is smashed up. Glad all are ok. This is why I drive a full size truck and my wife drive a large suv. I just feel much safer with us and kids in them then small cars. 

Same.

last week at work we were notified of a possible fire in the street behind us. We go out to see a Dodge truck that had smashed into a Chevy and was proceeding to burning his tires while pushed up against the Chevy. The guy in the Dodge had a seizure and mashed the pedal into the Chevy which had stopped for a school bus. Our security had to break his window to turn off the truck while the guy in the Chevy held him there. The tires were literally liquid puddles of smoke and fire with the wheels eating into the concrete by the time they got the truck turned off. The front of the Dodge was smashed much like that Hyundai and I was astonished when the Chevy pulled forward, only a minor bend in the bumper, guy got the police report and drove home. Crazy day.

• Like 1

On 11/16/2018 at 9:52 PM, BuCrew said:

20181116_222413.jpg

On 11/16/2018 at 9:52 PM, BuCrew said:

20181116_222233.jpg

First and foremost, glad everyone walked away.  I almost didn't want to open this thread and look at it, since my accident is still "relatively fresh."  

Similarly, (Ontario, California, near Ontario Mills) the four of us were in our '04 Pilot, no plates on it (yet), when I had taken evasive action and slide into the median to avoid the car in front of me.  I then looked up, in my rearview mirror, saw her coming at "MACH," while lighting her cigarette, she was NOT looking up.  I thought I was out of the fast lane and thought that she was going to hit the lady that was now beside me.  Her TA ended up under the back of our Pilot and kissing the back right tire.  She was severely late to her first day on the job.  This put a serious damper on our trip to San Diego to pickup my M.I.L. and then all 5 of us going to Disneyland. 

Doesn't appear to be totaled IMO. You said you saw it coming and "braced" for it? How are your back and neck? 45mph is quite the collision. I know they typically say if you tense up and brace for collision you are worse off than if you are unknowing and relaxed.