BTR Cam 223/228, .604"/.604", 114 LSA

Has anyone done this cam swap in their 2014+ 6.2L?

Mostly curious drive-ability and power down low. TSP not recommending a converter. Was planning on adding TSP headers, Magnaflow 12909 muffler, already have CAI.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

https://www.texas-speed.com/p-4312-texas-speed-performance-62l-lt1lt4l86-vvt-1-camshaft.aspx?keyword=25-tsplt1vvt-1

The internet has ruined hot rodding. Gone are the days of building an engine up naturally aspirated and working up to forced induction. Now, every place you go it’s just “bolt on forced induction” and that’s it.

2014 z71 LTZ
Volant Intake
Borla Exhaust
Diablo
Bilstein 5100
Rough Country Level

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Centex14 said:

The internet has ruined hot rodding. Gone are the days of building an engine up naturally aspirated and working up to forced induction. Now, every place you go it’s just “bolt on forced induction” and that’s it.

2014 z71 LTZ
Volant Intake
Borla Exhaust
Diablo
Bilstein 5100
Rough Country Level

Last gen it was a lot cheaper to do a cam. My understanding now you may as well pull the engine. Just easier. And while your at it you may as well do a dod delete kit. All said and done your maybe a couple grand cheaper then bolting on a supercharger. And what your making at the crank is what you could be making at the wheels with boost. Assuming you go with a cam that's streetable.

I was looking at going with a cam. Perfer it over a supercharger. But cost compared to power gains, really not worth it.

Edited by M1ck3y

18 minutes ago, Centex14 said:

2014 z71 LTZ
Volant Intake
Borla Exhaust
Diablo
Bilstein 5100
Rough Country Level

I dont totally agree with this.  Supercharger may be more but its easier and you dont have to tear the motor apart. Also theres more to it

When you do a cam you want headers right? Well im in california.  I cant have headers. But superchargers are smog legal (some of them) so in my case supercharger is best

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Centex14 said:

2014 z71 LTZ
Volant Intake
Borla Exhaust
Diablo
Bilstein 5100
Rough Country Level

It’s not all the internet’s fault.   Most forced induction kits are almost plug and play these days, tuning included.  

• Like 1

It’s such a canned response. Someone wants to do some actual engine work and everyone instantly says go the forced induction route. It’s become a cop out. Installing a cam isn’t easy or for the faint of heart but you get to really appreciate what it takes to make an engine live and breathe and thrive.

The cam is the brain of the engine. All of the computers in the world and they are still told what to do by that single stick of steel. That stick of steel tells the valves when to open and close and that’s what makes the power. It dictates whether the power comes in early or late or narrow or wide. The computers can assist and aid that in a big way but at the end of the day the cam still rules all.

Adding a blower is meh. It’s become so easy to add a 150-200hp to an engine that no one appreciates it. Sure it’s cool but slapping one on and calling it done is so lazy in my opinion. Not to mention that the proper cam when combined with a blower can make even more power.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Centex14 said:

It’s such a canned response. Someone wants to do some actual engine work and everyone instantly says go the forced induction route. It’s become a cop out. Installing a cam isn’t easy or for the faint of heart but you get to really appreciate what it takes to make an engine live and breathe and thrive.

The cam is the brain of the engine. All of the computers in the world and they are still told what to do by that single stick of steel. That stick of steel tells the valves when to open and close and that’s what makes the power. It dictates whether the power comes in early or late or narrow or wide. The computers can assist and aid that in a big way but at the end of the day the cam still rules all.

Adding a blower is meh. It’s become so easy to add a 150-200hp to an engine that no one appreciates it. Sure it’s cool but slapping one on and calling it done is so lazy in my opinion. Not to mention that the proper cam when combined with a blower can make even more power.

Again for some people (like me) a supercharger is smog legal so its the better easier route

22 hours ago, Centex14 said:

That’s great. Still doesn’t change my opinion.

2014 z71 LTZ

Volant Intake

Borla Exhaust

Diablo

Bilstein 5100

Rough Country Level

Says the guy with no cam listed in his mod signature :lol:

• Like 2

On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 10:00 PM, Nasty said:

Again for some people (like me) a supercharger is smog legal so its the better easier route

Well Brandon I have a solution for ya. Title your truck in my name and in my state. :thumbs: Love to help you out. :lol: