Hi,

I’ve got a Silverado 2016 Z71 4x4 with the 5.3L. When I take my truck to work in the morning (cold start) and make a left out of my neighborhood, my truck makes a grinding noise as I accelerate during the left turn. It sounds like metal cans clanking. I can feel it in the gas pedal too. I’ve tried reproducing in an empty lot by turning and accelerating and I get nothing.

It was really bad one time when I made a right turn out of a parking lot onto a Main Street. The street was lower than the asphalt I was coming off from and so my truck bounced a bit while I accelerated right this time. Grinded really bad. 

Any ideas?

Just an update:

I put premium gas in my tank, thinking the engine was knocking because it sounds exactly like knocking. Had engine knock on a Mazda and it just sounded like someone was throwing cans under the car. Still had the noise making a left turn in a parking lot. Really felt it in my gas pedal. Sounds like gears are grinding. Always happens when I’m lightly applying gas while turning left. 

I just cycled through 4Hi, 4Lo, and even neutral, yesterday. I’ll have to check today to see if it still grinds. In the past I have cycled through all those and the noise would still occur. 

I’ll check that heat shield as well. What should I be looking for though? Just see if it’s loose?

Thanks!

So I checked the heat shield. Had the truck running and it doesn’t seem to vibrate enough to cause such a loud horrible noise. I haven’t driven it yet... trying to make sure I describe it right lol. It’s during a left turn as i apply gas. If I let go of the gas, it’ll stop. More gas and it gets rougher. The left turn I mentioned earlier is a slight slope downward.  Like a 1% grade

Just an update...

I’m still on that same tank of premium gas. Ran the truck from a cold start twice now,  (once yesterday, another today) and haven’t heard that grinding noise on that infamous left turn. Will keep trying on premium gas. 

I’ll keep making updates as I go. Just one of those time tested things....

Update:

Still no noise. All this points to engine knock, but why do it when turning and only 1/4 throttle? The last vehicle I had that knocked was on an incline and I really had to gas it. This truck I'm turning onto a decline and gassing just a little... Maybe bad/loose sensors that monitor engine internals.

• 1 month later...

Update:

I’m thinking it’s the Stabilitrak kicking in. I floored it going straight and made a similar grinding noise. I just discovered how to turn Stabilitrak completely off so we’ll see. 

PS: probably has nothing to do with fuel haha

Stabilicrap will automatically come back on at 56 kph just so you know. The only way to make it stay off all the time is pull a fuse. But if you are moving slow it might stay off for your testing purposes. 

On 11/21/2018 at 10:16 PM, cedwards611 said:

Hi,

I’ve got a Silverado 2016 Z71 4x4 with the 5.3L. When I take my truck to work in the morning (cold start) and make a left out of my neighborhood, my truck makes a grinding noise as I accelerate during the left turn. It sounds like metal cans clanking. I can feel it in the gas pedal too. I’ve tried reproducing in an empty lot by turning and accelerating and I get nothing.

It was really bad one time when I made a right turn out of a parking lot onto a Main Street. The street was lower than the asphalt I was coming off from and so my truck bounced a bit while I accelerated right this time. Grinded really bad. 

Any ideas?

Is your truck leveled? My 2016 was leveled and the control arms could hit the spindles. I’ve had grinding and thumping.  My 2014 never had an issues.  So I just bought a 2018 and I’m m not leveling this truck.

Yea, I noticed the Stabilitrak turn back on after driving for a bit. It stays off while I’m in my neighborhood, though, so i’ll Try that turning maneuver and see if I hear anything. Lately it’s just been a light hum, like some sort of hydraulic is kicking.

My truck is not leveled, but I will keep that in mind lol.

Going to test out the Stabilitrak theory and get back. Does the grinding of the Stabilitrak hurt the truck? Sounds like it hahah.

• 2 weeks later...

So I think I’ve narrowed it down to the Stabilitrak. For some reason, it doesn’t like that turn. I’ve turned out of the neighborhood multiple times now with it off and heard absolutely nothing. This morning, I had it on, and I got that humming noise again. 

Do I have a problem, or should I not worry about the Stabilitrak making god awful noises when it kicks in?