Cold weather errors (trailer connection & sensors)

Mine went in this past week and had the software update installed. Haven’t seen any errors in the morning since.  I’m betting that probably stopped the nuisance errors and we will see if any other issues crop up.

It is crazy that they have these problems at all when the obvious solution that would have been used for the last 30 years would be a trailer outlet design with a mechanical switch that closed a circuit when something was plugged in.  Seems so obvious and would be super useful for these situations because it would definitively answer the question of if something was attached... then they can go about their merry way screwing with fancy software to detect wiring faults.  I suppose when the wiring is so expensive to run to the trailer lights that they can put a computer in with a network serial bus to talk to it instead of half a dozen wires in a harness we shouldn’t expect them to put a 50¢ switch in the light outlets. 

This is actually a great post. Very informative. Especially the section named Tips. It clearly shows how Chevy is putting the responsibility for it to work correctly on the consumer. Why would you come out with a new model year and the module will not work with LED bulbs? This is standard equipment on trailers and a very popular upgrade. It is understandable older trucks have issues with LED’s. Why not fix their design on a new model year to work with LED lights?   No different than the dumb windshield washer button midway down the blinker switch handle and the auto headlights a push button on the end of it. Which do you use most. 

These new trucks look and run great so we have a great start if we can get Chevy to listen and fix the squirrelly software and electronic parts. They should have a “engineer meet your truck user day” and design to today’s standards and uses. Rain, snow, cold and mud, LED lights etc... Not the soccer mom. 

I found that in a different thread I thought it was very interesting

It really is unacceptable

Needless to say onStar will be canceled

I only got the service for a recent trip

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

More than likely, with the GM statement about the truck not being able to detect some trailers with LED lighting, they are probably referring to open utility or boat trailers that only have two basic taillights (each using a single LED bulb) and a license plate bulb. Three single LED bulbs would barely draw any power. (Think of a little Harbor Freight kit-trailer.) 

Modern travel, boat, or utility trailers manufactured with an LED light package will usually have running lights and/or massive LED tail/brake lights, so that there is enough of a power draw for the truck to recognize the trailer.

LED conversions on older vehicles and trailers can also cause issues. EXAMPLE: I swapped out my standard 1157 bulbs on my '69 Camaro with 1157 LED replacements, but because the new bulbs don't draw enough power to be recognized by the flasher module, the module thinks the bulbs are burned out. You have to upgrade the flasher to an LED-compatible unit so that it can recognize the new bulbs despite the low power draw. They're just covering all of the bases.

I had the March 1sr “Fix” done on March 7th.  Of  course the day I get it done, it’s 68 degrees in CT.  This morning (March 19th) it was 28 degrees when I left my house for work,  I drove about 2 miles and the “Park Assist Off” warning came up on the instrument panel and the light on the park assist button went off.  I pressed the button and it wouldn’t come back on.  The other buttons work.  I knew it!!  STILL NOT FIXED GM!!  I have ANOTHER appointment for next Week....

Hey Denali'19  not to poke old wounds but with a park assist warning it may be just that one of your sensors outside of the truck is dirty, frosted over, etc.  and if it is you will get this warning on the dic and not be able to activate with your buttons until it is cleaned off.  Just checking.

6 minutes ago, 2fst4u said:

Hey Denali'19  not to poke old wounds but with a park assist warning it may be just that one of your sensors outside of the truck is dirty, frosted over, etc.  and if it is you will get this warning on the dic and not be able to activate with your buttons until it is cleaned off.  Just checking.

Nope truck is clean.  Just cold as usual.

Denali 19, I have also had major issues with this. I noticed after the updates the cluster not only boots up way slower but also with incorrect settings. I noticed that if you go to the settings on the cluster, then to vehicle, then collision avoidance, then park assist, sometimes it loads, “on with tow bar” and will not go to the correct setting of on with Alert. You have to restart the truck and it boots up the correct settings. 

GM said they have no other trucks doing it. My service manager saw it with his own eyes. Please check and report it if yours boots funky at times so GM will look at it. I can start my truck, back out the garage and be heading down the road and the cluster is still loading. I think you will find lane keep assist will be almost useless if or when this slow response starts happening. 

8 minutes ago, Chevy sad said:

Denali 19, I have also had major issues with this. I noticed after the updates the cluster not only boots up way slower but also with incorrect settings. I noticed that if you go to the settings on the cluster, then to vehicle, then collision avoidance, then park assist, sometimes it loads, “on with tow bar” and will not go to the correct setting of on with Alert. You have to restart the truck and it boots up the correct settings. 

GM said they have no other trucks doing it. My service manager saw it with his own eyes. Please check and report it if yours boots funky at times so GM will look at it. I can start my truck, back out the garage and be heading down the road and the cluster is still loading. I think you will find lane keep assist will be almost useless if or when this slow response starts happening. 

So far, after the “fix”, I have not had anything else pop up other than the “Park Assist Off” warning, no light on the park assist button and nothing happening when I try to turn it back on by pressing the button.  I will definitely be on the look out for any more issues.  Called the 2nd lawyer back and they want me send them all the info including the videos I have taken with my phone.  This will be the sixth time to the dealer for this problem.  Got the appointment moved to tomorrow instead of next week.  I’ll keep you posted....

• Like 1

Ok had update done was towing trailer yesterday and today check trailer lights keep coming up on display every time I hit the brakes. Trailer lights are led and are working fine. The trailer is a PJ trailer came with led lights these are not lights I put on. The message never came up until the update was done. Also the blind spot only works when it wants to. Going to call and make an appointment Monday so they can they can give me more bs about this being normal. 

Edited by kensseirra

• 2 weeks later...

It's been about a month and not one error for me.  No slow boot up like some are complaining of.  No changes to the sensitivities of the sensors.  Have not pulled my trailer out of storage (just had our first day with temps in the 50s yesterday, so not much camping yet) thus I do not know if there will be issues with the trailer lights.  I feel bad for those that are still having issues.  I finally feel like I get to enjoy this awesome new truck. 

7 hours ago, SJS1220 said:

It's been about a month and not one error for me.  No slow boot up like some are complaining of.  No changes to the sensitivities of the sensors.  Have not pulled my trailer out of storage (just had our first day with temps in the 50s yesterday, so not much camping yet) thus I do not know if there will be issues with the trailer lights.  I feel bad for those that are still having issues.  I finally feel like I get to enjoy this awesome new truck. 

What was the temperature out?  The errors only happened for me in below freezing temps.  Since the March  1st update, I have not had the trailer connected/disconnected issue.  However, it is warmer now in CT and the below freezing temps are few and far between now.  When there have been freezing temps, since the March 1st update, I am now having issues with the front park assist warning activating, seat vibration activating and front camera activating.  NOTHING is in front or on the truck sensors. It did it EVERY time I stopped the truck on the way to work one morning.  Again, this only happens in below freezing temps.  Mine is currently at the dealer for the EIGHTH time, it has been there for THREE days now and is still there.  The lawyer has now taken my case and has sent a demand letter to GM to buy back the truck.  I’m happy you like your truck, but this makes me hate mine...

I am new to the site. I have had all kinds of problems with my trailer connections and lights with my new 2019 at4. It has not been cold like others are talking about since I only picked up my truck March 2nd. I have an enclosed snowmobile trailer with an electrical system that is meticulous. I am an electrician by trade and I pride myself on my trailers always having lights that work perfectly. My last truck was a 2014 F150 Platinum and I never had any trailer light problems. From the first time I hooked up the trailer the light test came back with a running light fault and the running light would only turn on for 1 second when first connected or 1 second at the start of the lighting test. They would also turn on for 1 second when I turned on the headlights manually after that 1 second they would turn off and not come back on until disconnected and reset. All of my lights worked perfectly when hooked up to other trucks.( I tested with 4 other trucks). I also tested 2 other trailers with my new truck and all lights worked on the other trailers. It seemed my truck didn't like my trailer. I have since replaced all 17 running lights on my trailer with LEDs and they now work miraculously! Today I towed my trailer for about 5 miles and while driving I got a couple of messages that trailer was disconnected and that trailer left turn signal error ( I also replaced the brake/turn signals with new LEDs as well). It seems GM has a serious problem with their trailering app software/ hardware that needs to  be resolved. One of the main reasons I have a truck is for towing and this is a real disappointment. I am very glad to have run across this thread so at least I know I am not crazy. My dealer claims to have known nothing about these problems. I think I will try to bring it in and have the update done to see if that helps. I bought the truck at a dealer 150 miles away so I hope a local dealer will take a look at it for me without giving me a hard time. Once again, not temperature related. As a side note I also noticed that when the trailer is plugged into the 7 pin socket I believe I hear a replay click after a few seconds as though it recognizes that a trailer has been plugged in. I wonder if this could be one of the hardware items that is acting up. Thanks for this thread. 

Its the truck I have all led lights and I get the same messages I get with my trailer connected, Also do you lights flash when you truck is not running with the trailer connected. And I was stop by a cop that said my lights were coming off and on as I was driving down the road.

Edited by kensseirra

Yes my trailer lights "pulse" when the trailer is connected and the truck is turned off. If I understand correctly that is part of the security system and the truck monitors to see if the trailer gets disconnected and will sound the alarm. My problem is that while driving the system will think that the trailer is disconnected and when I stop to check everything is perfect and all lights and brakes are working. When I use the left turn signal the blinker goes at double speed like when your turn signal lamp is out and I get an error code on the screen, then after a few pulses is slows down to normal speed and the error code goes away. Same light in the right side and no problems yet. Maybe it needs the resistors on the lamps like some of the vehicle LED conversions.

My trailer when driving down the road the lights "pulse" for no reason I have unplugged my trailer the alarm does not go off. I have to take to the dealer Thursday with the trailer so they can see if they can fix the problem.