Ozer

GM under investigation for faulty brake vacuum pumps

https://www.whec.com/news/gm-under-investigation-for-faulty-brake-vacuum-pumps/5154566/?cat=565

"The U.S. government is investigating more than 100 complaints of poor brake performance on 2.7 million General Motors big pickups and SUVs."

Hold your receipts if you have done any work, hopefully a recall comes out of this. 

I also think reporting your issues to the NHTSA may get this rolling out faster.

• Like 1

Yes there is also lawsuits already filed on this. Also the gm bulletin says the pump can fail and oil can get into the booster and master. All get replaced. 

• Like 1

Only 2014 through 2016 eh?  Did they make a change, or have the 2017-2018s just not failed yet?

I had an issue with braking on my 2015 Silverado. The brake pedal would get super stiff at low speed and the truck would barely brake. Almost ran into a light pole at Walmart. I will have to pull the work order, I think Chevy replaced the master cylinder or something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, dave07 said:

I had an issue with braking on my 2015 Silverado. The brake pedal would get super stiff at low speed and the truck would barely brake. Almost ran into a light pole at Walmart. I will have to pull the work order, I think Chevy replaced the master cylinder or something.

I thought i was the only one having this problem...i almost hit someone the other day cause it didnt want to stop completely.

Get it repaired now with your own money and be safe but keep receipts. GM will have to do something about this, there have been already 11 crashes and many more unreported im sure

Get it repaired now with your own money and be safe but keep receipts. GM will have to do something about this, there have been already 11 crashes and many more unreported im sure
Ima take it on nov 5 i set a appointment now for it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

b5bbfbc400dbc6486f7597469465b43f.jpg

Here is my repair order, looks like I had the issue!

b5bbfbc400dbc6486f7597469465b43f.jpg

Here is my repair order, looks like I had the issue!

So you just took it and told them what it was and did not charge even after the warranty?

So you just took it and told them what it was and did not charge even after the warranty?

My truck was under warranty at the time!

2 hours ago, silveradosid said:

is this covered by power train warranty

No I don't believe it is. I think they consider the Vac pump an engine accessory like the the A/C and Power steering.

Had this issue with my 2015. Backing into my driveway which has a down hill slope I almost hit my garage door. Both feet on the brake pedal and I was able to get it to stop. Also noticed it at slow speeds in stop and go traffic.

First call to the dealer for a quote the service writer wanted me to bring it in and pay to have them diagnose it. I told them just get me an estimate to replace the pump, line, booster, and master cylinder. Another service writer called me back and said they had just done one and it was $1074.

I bought all my parts online and had an independent shop do it for $830 total. Sure would be nice to recoup that. 

For those having an issue start a claim with the NHTSA, save any receipts. Also I did find pumping the brakes would help some before I got it fixed. 

Had the same problem. Replaced under warranty as the vacuum PSI was out of spec. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By jkrosky
      I have a 2017 Chevy Silverado 3500 HD High Country with 6.6 diesel equipped with tow package.  It has dedicated trailer brake and trailer fuses within the primary fuse box under the hood.  My passenger side trailer blinkers and brake lights are not working.  I've traced the lack of 12v power all the way up to the 10a fuse dedicated to the right side trailer brake/signal light (fuse #17).  I have replaced the fuse, re-tested, and still no power.  The left side trailer brake/signal light (fuse #14) has 12v power going to it, tested on the top of the fuse when the flashers are on, but the right side has nothing.  I've also swapped and then replaced the trailer parking lights relay switch (relay #63) and still nothing.  Is this most likely an issue with fuse box or something else supplying power or ground to the fuse box?  Thanks for the help... this is the craziest thing.
    • By dwchapmanjr
      2015 GMC Yukon Denali - 32k miles (6.2L + 8spd).  I don't normally do highway speed but noticed yesterday that I had a slight pedal vibration when doing so and it only seems to happen at 60+ mph.  My daily drive is under 40mph and no vibrations there.  I'm assuming its likely a rear rotor since I don't feel it in the steering wheel.

I looked back on my records and it appears front brakes were at 7mm a year ago and rear at 4mm.  Both in the "green" according to dealer.  I'm not sure if its an eyeball check and they just mark good or if they actually measure but it was 10k miles ago and a year so I likely need new pads.

All this to say, with this life and mileage is anyone seeing pad life and possibly rotor life exhausted so quickly?  This is a heavy vehicle and the 6.2L gets it up to speed quickly and it does seem to take a lot more to stop it(always this way so I don't think its the vacuum recall).

If anyone is getting a 4 wheel brake job at the dealer, what has it run you?  Mine is running a special for $139 per axle for pads and $189 per axle for rotors but I'm hoping if it is a warped rotor I only need 1 pair.

Also noticed this on the front passenger rotor.  Is that defined of a groove normal?  To the touch it doesn't feel grooved.

Tire inflation is normal.
    • By CraCra
      2006 GMC Savana 4.8 L 2500.
      Failed braking system, power steering pump. My Power steering pump went out along with braking. originally diagnosed as a combo hydroboost/power steer problem, so a new hydro boost was installed. Also replaced master cylinder and replaced 4 power steering pumps, the last one was an AC Delco which has lasted the longest, 3 days. One of the problems has been pedal kickback which is still going on. Was thinking it was the wheel sensors so I disconnected the ABS but still have a slight problem with pedal kickback not as bad as it was before, but still have it.
      Any ideas?
    • By GerryLittle20
      I don't know much about vehicles, or forums at that. I know enough obviously to have looked up & changed out the shift column mechanism. Now for some reason when Im at slow speeds my brakes are wanting to lock up? Could this have something to do with something not being plugged back in right or? Im lost on this one. 
    • By Ed10000
      My 2018 GMC Sierra SLT with e-Assist stutters intermittently when cold and backing up with foot applying lite pressure to the brake. It also does this at times when going forward. It has 14K miles but it has done this since about 3K miles. I finally took it in for diagnosis today. They were able to reproduce the problem.  They scratched their heads for a while before concluding that the brake pads and rotors were glazed.  This seems unlikely and I would appreciate learning if others have experienced this problem and how it was resolved. I am thinking it’s a problem with the e-assist trying to decide to stop the engine or not.