GM under investigation for faulty brake vacuum pumps

Ozer

Was driving in my 2015 Tahoe, on Highway 5, in LA traffic when the breaks locked up. Only with pure luck and Gods good grace I was able to avoid hitting anyone and got shoulder. Had it towed to Chevy dealer and found out it was the vacuum pump. They  told me there is no recall. Had to pay $800 out a pocket.  

On 5/29/2019 at 12:09 PM, Tahoe15 said:

Was driving in my 2015 Tahoe, on Highway 5, in LA traffic when the breaks locked up. Only with pure luck and Gods good grace I was able to avoid hitting anyone and got shoulder. Had it towed to Chevy dealer and found out it was the vacuum pump. They  told me there is no recall. Had to pay $800 out a pocket.  

That is bullsh*t since that is a serious safety issue.

On 4/26/2019 at 9:24 AM, onedash said:

my 2014 is getting repaired right now. Almost $900 parts and labor. 

Sounds like the $1200 repair bill for replacing a $100 condenser.

The pump is only around $120 and can be replaced in a couple of hours or less.

I received a letter by mail from GM for my 2017 a couple days ago. Basically it says if you haven't had any problems don't bother the dealer. If you have take it in and they will fix for 6 years or 72000 miles free of charge. I guess after that you either get in a wreck or pay out of pocket.

Had my vacuum pump replaced couple days ago at 66k miles. The pressure should of been 27 hg and my vacuum pump was only putting out 7hg.  It's doesn't help that I was at the dealer few days earlier due to my brakes seizing up which I had to pay for new rotors, pads and a new caliper. 

• Thanks 1

Luckily I got new brake calipers and condenser replaced under warranty.  Both happened around 88-92k. Can't believe they didn't fail 100 miles after the extended warranty ran out. 

Edited by onedash

1 hour ago, DMT6 said:

I received a letter by mail from GM for my 2017 a couple days ago. Basically it says if you haven't had any problems don't bother the dealer. If you have take it in and they will fix for 6 years or 72000 miles free of charge. I guess after that you either get in a wreck or pay out of pocket.

I also received the letter.  Wonder if we should claim we've experienced the problem and take it in and get it upgraded now....

1 hour ago, brholtz02 said:

I also received the letter.  Wonder if we should claim we've experienced the problem and take it in and get it upgraded now....

I'm still a little ways away from not being covered but before 72 mark it probably isn't a bad idea to take it in and complain I'm having problems. 

52 minutes ago, DMT6 said:

I'm still a little ways away from not being covered but before 72 mark it probably isn't a bad idea to take it in and complain I'm having problems. 

I got the letter also for my 2017. Not liking the idea that it is not a recall.

• Like 1

Don’t forget when the Vacuum pump fails it sends motor oil to the Power Brake vacuum booster.

And that Booster and all vacuum lines also must be replaced. GM did not mention if they will also extend warranty on those components.

Edited by Paintor

Got a Letter from NHTSA today. I did a FOIA request to see if GM is correct in their letter and power brakes are not required on New vehicles to operate on Federal Highways.

NHTSA says it could take them up to a year to respond to a mere request what is the Motor Vehicle brake standard for new vehicles that are to be operated on motor vehicles.

FOIA says they have to respond sooner. Now I have to get a lawyer to force NHTSA to follow the Freedom of Information Act.

NHTSA is running cover for GM. For now.

My beef is that it took so long for this bulletin to come out. You newer 15-17 owners are more fortunate.

Many of us are already out of warranty either by mileage or by the 6 year coverage.

For those of us already 5-6 years into our trucks, the coverage should extend to 100k and at least 7 years!

Sure, not having the ability to brake is dangerous and can be deadly but what about the catastrophic aspect of these pumps sending

metal fragments into the oiling system as well?

One might not necessarily be involved in an accident......... but instead, out thousands for major engine damage due to the failed pump.

Edited by Sierra Dan
  • Thanks 1

On 11/23/2018 at 6:25 AM, 1SLOW1500 said:

Yes there is also lawsuits already filed on this. Also the gm bulletin says the pump can fail and oil can get into the booster and master. All get replaced. 

I was unaware of this issue. Thanks for the info.