GM under investigation for faulty brake vacuum pumps

Ozer

13 hours ago, Baytrucker said:

Heh. I stand corrected. Talk about solving a problem no one needed solved. :rolleyes:

They have been putting a defective vacuum pump in their trucks for the past 10 years, putting everyone lives at risk, and now that it has come to light they still won't issue a recall unless they are forced to. They are still putting the pump in their new trucks.

But their tailgate can do yoga now, so all is good. :D

So true!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 1:32 PM, Baytrucker said:

So, the recall for this issue in Canada has been updated with a resolution.

GM is wants to do a programming change?

Does anyone know how reprogramming the EBCM is supposed to resolve the issue with a defective part? Does anyone have any information on this?

I just had this re programming done.  Did absolutely nothing to fix the problem.

Interesting how everyone knows it's a faulty vacuum booster but to avoid a costly recall they do a simple re programming.

I called the Transport Safety Recall line to report that the recall doesn't fix the issue, they informed me that the "programming" is a change in the parameters for the brake system warning message to appear.  So all this means is that for the warning to be triggered it requires less of a vacuum loss.  This is meant to mitigate the risk enough for GM to just make the minimum legal requirements.

The staff at the Transport Safety Recall line are great and the more people who call the better.  Anyone with this issue give them a shout, maybe GM will actually fix the issue. 1-800-333-0510

• Like 1

On 8/29/2019 at 6:19 AM, Heavy Chevy! said:

I just had this re programming done.  Did absolutely nothing to fix the problem.

Interesting how everyone knows it's a faulty vacuum booster but to avoid a costly recall they do a simple re programming.

I called the Transport Safety Recall line to report that the recall doesn't fix the issue, they informed me that the "programming" is a change in the parameters for the brake system warning message to appear.  So all this means is that for the warning to be triggered it requires less of a vacuum loss.  This is meant to mitigate the risk enough for GM to just make the minimum legal requirements.

The staff at the Transport Safety Recall line are great and the more people who call the better.  Anyone with this issue give them a shout, maybe GM will actually fix the issue. 1-800-333-0510

Got my recall letter in the mail. Re-programming sounds like a band-aid. Anyone know whats involved in replacing the faulty part and how much it would cost?

28 minutes ago, roadblock said:

Got my recall letter in the mail. Re-programming sounds like a band-aid. Anyone know whats involved in replacing the faulty part and how much it would cost?

The vacuum pump and belt need to be changed out.  I'm not doing mine until I've fought this to the end.  I would get the recall work done, then call the Transport Recall line.  The more of us that call the better.  They can force GM to make a new recall.

Mine to is gone. 2015 Sierra. GM says they won’t cover it as it has over 116,000 on the dial. BS I say. They knew this was an issue a year ago. I noticed my brakes not working right but I thought I had dust/grit in them as I work on a gravel road. When I had it in for an unrelated issue ( park assist module gone) they said there was a recall on the vacuum assist pump so they did the update. Made it worse. Now they say it’s toast to the tune of 700 and change. Fixing it in the morning as it’s dangerous now but I’m in talks with GM about responsibilities 

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2014 GMC Sierra.  I’m having the stiff  brake issue while backing up. Brought the truck in for reprogramming. Dealership said that there is a new part number pump GM#12696313 that is replacing #12669488. I ordered the part from an online GM parts shop to fix it myself. I noticed only the GM dealerships have this part number pump. If this is true, then many people who had replaced there pump may still have issues in the future. Also, the dealership did not want to let us take the truck home without it getting fixed and they printed on the invoice of work done that truck is dangerous and shouldn’t be driven till brakes fixed. 

My 2018 came with the new style mechanical pump. If your pump is a 2 piece design with a black plate on the back of the pump, you have the latest design. 

The old design is a one piece unit. There is a few posts on this forum comparing the old design to the new. The new pump has very different internal design vs the old pump. 

My VIN does NOT come back with needing the recall. 

16 hours ago, Darkwolf7 said:

I have a 2014 GMC Sierra.  I’m having the stiff  brake issue while backing up. Brought the truck in for reprogramming. Dealership said that there is a new part number pump GM#12696313 that is replacing #12669488. I ordered the part from an online GM parts shop to fix it myself. I noticed only the GM dealerships have this part number pump. If this is true, then many people who had replaced there pump may still have issues in the future. Also, the dealership did not want to let us take the truck home without it getting fixed and they printed on the invoice of work done that truck is dangerous and shouldn’t be driven till brakes fixed. 

Damn.  I just put a  GM PN12669488 in my truck yesterday.  Could you take a few pictures of the pump and the packaging before installing so we can compare?  

3 hours ago, aaronarf said:

Damn.  I just put a  GM PN12669488 in my truck yesterday.  Could you take a few pictures of the pump and the packaging before installing so we can compare?  

Page 4 of this thread there is a link for a video with a side by side comparison of both.

Ok my 2016 Chevy Silverado is now back in the dealer after they re diagnosed the recall notice sent out Sep 3,2019.  Actually they said that they closed out the recall notice!  I had to stand on my brake at low speed 1mph <.  I finally stopped just in time of hitting a tree.  This second trip to the dealership had found that a vacuum hose has a leak (no cost) to me for the replacement.  I’ll let those know if I have any continued issues.

• 1 month later...

My 2014 GMC Sierra with 105,000km (65,000 miles) was having odd brake pedal vibrations sometimes at starting.  It has had the ECM programming recall performed and the problem worsened.  I took it in this morning and immediately the Service Advisor said its likely the vacuum assist pump and it would be replaced at no charge even though I am well past warranty.  Will see when I get it back at the end of the day.