In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Ozer

GM under investigation for faulty brake vacuum pumps

Same issue just got truck back, almost hit a car in parking lot, this needs to b a recall not bulletin,

• Like 1

My pedal was stiffening up if I used it a couple of times at idle. For example if I was stuck in bumper to bumper traffic and edging forward while going down hill. When it would get stiff the abs would kick in. I could still stop the truck but it was a lot more work. As soon as I have it some gas and the pump was turned at a higher rpm, my boost was restored.

I brought it to my local chevy dealer. They measured and said the vacuum was 14hg in. I thought I read somewhere that the specs were 25 or 27? They replaced the pump under extended warranty, though either way I am still in my power train coverage. They checked the booster hose and check valve and said no oil present.

Never had any noise from the pump that I could tell, and I did listen for it. New pump does not sound any different.

2015 GMC Sierra 5.3 DCRB 28,207 miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, does the GMC Sierra 2015i HD have the same issue?

Sierra Boy

My truck seems to have more power after the pump was replaced. No idea if that's even possible or not but it sure seems like it. 

On 06/06/2019 at 9:10 AM, Sierra Dan said:

My beef is that it took so long for this bulletin to come out. You newer 15-17 owners are more fortunate.

Many of us are already out of warranty either by mileage or by the 6 year coverage.

For those of us already 5-6 years into our trucks, the coverage should extend to 100k and at least 7 years!

Sure, not having the ability to brake is dangerous and can be deadly but what about the catastrophic aspect of these pumps sending

metal fragments into the oiling system as well?

One might not necessarily be involved in an accident......... but instead, out thousands for major engine damage due to the failed pump.

I wonder if the pump is being replaced with an updated pump or just a replacement of the same faulty part that will fail again down the road?

41 minutes ago, JMHD said:

I wonder if the pump is being replaced with an updated pump or just a replacement of the same faulty part that will fail again down the road?

The pump is a newer design.

There are some old and new pump pics floating around on other threads here somewhere.

10 hours ago, onedash said:

My truck seems to have more power after the pump was replaced. No idea if that's even possible or not but it sure seems like it. 

It could be the placebo effect. :thumbs:

31 minutes ago, Sierra Dan said:

The pump is a newer design.

There are some old and new pump pics floating around on other threads here somewhere.

Thanks for the reply, I will take a look around for the pics. Thanks again.

7 minutes ago, JMHD said:

Thanks for the reply, I will take a look around for the pics. Thanks again.

Here is the link with pics and installation of the updated pump.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Sierra Dan said:

Here is the link with pics and installation of the updated pump.

Thanks again.

No problem.

On 6/13/2019 at 8:10 AM, Sierra Boy said:

So, does the GMC Sierra 2015i HD have the same issue?

Sierra Boy

You have the LS motor so there is no vacuum pump on your motor.

I got the letter saying for my truck. Can't say Ive had the issue. Tempted to take in and have replaced just in case. 

1 hour ago, Roscopcoletrain said:

I got the letter saying for my truck. Can't say Ive had the issue. Tempted to take in and have replaced just in case. 

I am not sure they will replace it without having any issues...it was my understanding from reading the letter that you should not just bring it in unless there are issues. Seems like a half-ass way to appease the courts and avoid an all out recall...I have had no issues with mine either but why should we have to wait until our vacuum pump fails to have it replaced?

25 minutes ago, NCPGMC said:

I am not sure they will replace it without having any issues...it was my understanding from reading the letter that you should not just bring it in unless there are issues. Seems like a half-ass way to appease the courts and avoid an all out recall...I have had no issues with mine either but why should we have to wait until our vacuum pump fails to have it replaced?

perhaps just saying, yeah, once or twice its felt like the issue was there. Not sure if they'd be able to tell otherwise?