Best Replcement Battery Value?

Considering my ‘13 HD 6.0 is just over 5yrs old, and snowmobiling in Northern Michigan and Northern Ontario is around the corner, I figure it may not be a bad idea to replace the original battery now before it dies...

So what is the best value for a replacement battery? In the past I’ve usually bought the duralast gold from autozone. Just wondered if there is a better value battery for a similar price.

TY!!!

I buy from Oreilly and the house brand AGM. Not the cheapest, but I found great value for the money. Excellent warranty and good quality. I am out on Autozone batteries and warranty service. Advanced auto parts sells AC Delco and not terrible. Interstate has lost their quality. Most of my European cars I run a Bosch in. I have access to a wholesale only for those.

Something to chew on. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just use Costco batteries now.  I've spent more on batteries, but I haven't found it to be worthwhile (either for warranty or for lasting that much longer to be cost effective).

I live in Alberta, so we get both heat in the summer +35C and the cold -40C, so the battery does get stressed for me.  It's also a daily driver work truck, where I make about 10 stops a day during the summer and 30 stops a day in the winter.

Edited by davester

I would not replace a battery just for fun. If it tests good, keep using it for a while. Like he said, you can get free battery testing at an auto parts store. Or, you can buy a load tester for $18 on eBay. 

As for buying a battery, you can get "Value Power" batteries at Walmart. They are around half the cost of regular batteries. The worst place to buy a battery is places like Les Schwab, auto parts stores, etc. 

71Mc87ocCWL._SY879_.jpg

d6df354a-9ce5-413a-983e-8a6894fb94b1_1.9b064396017041c0d2e94969ed070c8e.jpeg

I would not replace a battery just for fun. If it tests good, keep using it for a while. Like he said, you can get free battery testing at an auto parts store. Or, you can buy a load tester for $18 on eBay. 

As for buying a battery, you can get "Value Power" batteries at Walmart. They are around half the cost of regular batteries. The worst place to buy a battery is places like Les Schwab, auto parts stores, etc. 

71Mc87ocCWL._SY879_.thumb.jpg.768ea347f9ee6c16ccd80e58d52112c9.jpg
d6df354a-9ce5-413a-983e-8a6894fb94b1_1.9b064396017041c0d2e94969ed070c8e.thumb.jpeg.df091a2e286653fc0b375563c9552071.jpeg

As evidence above, everyone has opinions. That is all you are going to get here or anywhere unless you talk to an electrical engineer in the battery manufacture process. But a half price Walmart battery is the last thing I would personally buy. Glad it works for you, but I see no redeeming quality other than price and that does not make me feel good about a battery.

Disclosure for me: I own a shop and sometimes sell batteries. I generally try not to, as most people want to be cheap and cry over a $200plus battery. My profit for said service is minimal and under appreciated. But with25 years under my belt, I have learned you get what you pay for and in the old days when we made batteries in the USA, Exide and Interstate where the best and then old Optima was the bomb. There are some good high dollar battery options, not sure of brand names, but science goes into it.

I am really Intrigued by the new 24/48volt systems on some new cars - that should make a huge difference.

But again, not buying a Walmart battery.

• Like 1

I agree with carnutdallas. This is like asking what is the best oil. You are going to get a lot of different opinions and which one are you going with as there are many. Sometimes it is more confusing. I would look at Discount Auto parts on line as they are offering 20% off and you can pick up in a local store.

• Like 1

Its true. There will be a million different opinions out there. Some batteries are defective right out of the gate. Some batteries are a better value, some are a worse value. Some people buy the cheapest or most expensive batteries and have great success with them, others do not. Many salvage yards sell used batteries for $25 each, with a 90 day warranty - and some places even have the load test sheet sticker each one. 

Here is a tip: 

If you have a friend that owns an auto parts store - he might just let you trade a dead battery for a good battery out of his core pile. Just bring a load tester, and select the best one. When it dies after a few years, just go back and trade it out for free. Many people buy VERY expensive batteries and replace them every year no matter what. Those are are ones to look for in the core pile. Personally I would not spend the money on an Optima battery, but that doesn't mean I don't use them. 

USED_CAR_BATTERY.jpg

At the end of the day, there are a handful of companies that make batteries sold under every other brand name.

The question is, is a Johnson controls battery sold with a Duralast sticker on it any better or worse than one sold with an optima sticker on it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 2

At the end of the day, there are a handful of companies that make batteries sold under every other brand name.

The question is, is a Johnson controls battery sold with a Duralast sticker on it any better or worse than one sold with an optima sticker on it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That is true that few manufacturers provide many brand names. But I think they do change parameters or ingredients depending on the brand name. The USA has very little battery manufacturing in our footprint. China and Mexico rule the battery world for cheap batteries.

A quick Google search provides lots of different answers and older data. Johnson Control’s and Exide are the main source.

TY for all the replies!!!

I was able t get up to the local store and have my battery load tested. While it is still “ok”, it is showing its age as I suspected.

Since I don’t want to get caught in northern Mi or Ontario while snowmobiling, its replacement time.

What are your thoughts regarding an AGM battery vs a traditional? Is the extra price worth it?

TY!

Some cars have to have an AGM. Our trucks do not, but the benefit is less susceptible to vibration damage. More efficient in the ability to charge and discharge. Charge faster too.

https://www.intercel.eu/questions-and-answers/advantages-agm-batteries/