Best Replcement Battery Value?

If you are gong to replace the battery even though it tested good, you might as well keep it as a spare and give up a dead battery for the core instead. Then you could keep that good used battery in the vehicle somewhere (in the bed, under the hood, etc), with a solar battery maintainer on it. You could also put a maintainer on your truck as well. That way, you always have 2 batteries with you at all times, and at least one of them would have a full charge 24/7. If you are planning on spending extra money as insurance, then ya might as well go all out - and its less than $50 extra for the whole dual battery / charger setup. 

https://www.amazon.com/POWOXI-Waterproof-Maintainer-Motorcycle-Watercraft/dp/B0799NH3C7/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1543195144&sr=8-13&keywords=solar+battery+trickle+charger

711exEljOdL._SL1050_.jpg

On 11/24/2018 at 7:54 PM, James Elliott said:

My dad always told me to get a good battery with good cranking amps I usually get the ones that are 800 and over

Same here but nowadays it's reserve capacity and not cold cranking amps that is a better measure of a batteries strength.

AGM batteries like to be slowly charged.  AC Delco website does not offer this as an option for my truck even though they make one that fits.  The free replacement warranty on the AC Delco 48AGM is 36 months compared with 42 months for the 48PG and 48HPG. Currently running an AC Delco 48PS that was installed almost 2 years ago and is nearing the end of its 30 month free replacement warranty.  I'll probably get the 48Pg or 48HPG when the Tech2 tells me the battery is getting weak.  

• Like 1

Screw that I wouldn't pay that much for a battery that battery better be lifetime warranty and last over 10 years for that price lol

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

12 month Warranty per the listing [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1750 CCA is pretty impressive, but I agree that its not a good value. 

So everyone hates the "Value Power" batteries because they are too cheap - and everyone hates that eBay battery because its too expensive. 

Someday most cars will be battery powered like the Toyota Prius, Nissan Leaf, etc.  Then the battery debate will really begin. 

electricity ..... 

Amjad-Bashir-Drax.jpg

kingfisher-e1491916707750.jpg

I buy the biggest battery , CCA, reserve capacity.

Replaced every 4 years.

The key to a battery is the thickness of the plates. 

The heaver the battery the thicker the plates, the longer the life.

:)

Edited by diyer2

12 minutes ago, pickmeup said:

I am going to try Northstar batteries. A group 94r is about 275 dollars. Stout cca and made in the U.S.A. 

4 year warranty.

To each their own.

I ended up going with a AutoCraft Gold from Advance Auto. 

730 CCA

910 CA

130 min reserve

I still need to pick the battery up, and install it, which I’m not looking forward to. Maybe if I wait a couple days it will get a little warmer. :)

When I mentioned the stock battery tested “ok”, I wasn’t stating it is still “good”. Yes, it still has enough guts to currently start the truck, but it tested a little over 450 CCA (think it was 475ish) when originally rated for 615 CCA I think it is. Considering temps reach -30* or -40* at times in the U.P. of Michigan, or Northern Ontario when snowmobiling, last thing I want to do is get stranded out in the bush.

• Like 3

Blue2500CC

I lived in Michigan, graduated from high school there.

Was in the U.P. fishing in the early 70's.

Storm came in. 

Got to my truck half frozen.

No start, dead battery.

Got lucky when a local came by.

This is why I replace my batteries every 4 years ever since this happened.

Going to have to buy one anyway, so why not sooner than later.