2017 DMAX HOOD INSTALLED ON 6.0

Before I did all this to my 2017 silverado 6.0 dump truck - This had a issue with battery dropping to 11.9 volts - I went to 3 dealerships they all said thats  way it charges - well i bought new alt (my dumba$$) - original alt smelled burnt even 1 parts manager at gm said it does smell burnt - Truck is under warranty - it worked  stayed at 14+ until engine got hot - then upon acceleration drop to 11.9 ish when you when you let your foot off the gas  it jumps up to 14+ & dash lights flicker ??? What the Hell?? - but also after  this started to happen I noticed that this truck runs sluggish has no power - oh also check engine light (cant remember code) dealership said that it lean on bank 1& 2 - they cleared code -They said it was from airaid  throddle body  spacer & flowmaster  air box and possibly mbrp exhaust - i drove the truck around about 100 miles with same air box & spacer,exhaust - no check engine light - ran ok but gutless - well I removed spacer - no check engine  - kept on flowmaster air box & mbrp exhuast - runs ok but gutless -  now I changed hood, air box & put a diablo 8245 tuner - runs gutless  - also check pictures out of mbrp stainless exhaust how discolored It is - I talked summit racing & mbrp they all said thats what it does - looks like its a lean issue ??   - can anyone  lead me in the right direction & if I did anything to take away performance PLEASE TELL ME  - Again This truck ran gutless  right after  dropping to 11.9 & volts  fluctuating  around 1190 miles  & now you can see in picture I only have  3347 miles - I do also know you can bypass the alt shutting off  by putting it into tow/haul mode - I did that & still runs like a turd - AGAIN ANY ADVICE PLEASE ??? 

2017 DUMPTRUCK 6.0.jpg

2018 DMAX PIC.jpg

2017 DUMP TRUCK AFE AIR BOX CONVERTED.jpg

2017 DUMP TRUCK MILEAGE AS OF 11-25-18.jpg

2017 dump truck before hood.jpg

2018 DMAX  AFE AIR BOX PIC.jpg

2017 stock hood.jpg

MUFFLER DISCOLORED & IN VEIW -.jpg

It did it with flowmaster sytem  2 only after that volt issue  at about  1190 - i installed all mods flowmaster air box ,mbrp system & airid spacer right around 280 miles right after i bought it brand new in june 2018  - it ran great 

Edited by TOTAL1

1 hour ago, WhiTeOuT16HD said:

Try putting the stock intake back on , that intake is for the l5p?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Those are 2 afe system air box is for dmax - airfilter & tube(pipe) for 6.0 & 2 4"90's & sleeve is from spectre to make fit 

Just now, TOTAL1 said:

Those are 2 afe system air box is for dmax - airfilter & tube(pipe) for 6.0 & 2 4"90's & sleeve is from spectre to make fit 

Just now, TOTAL1 said:

sorry I hit quote 2 times 

Gotchya, I was looking at the intake prior with the box that matches the hood, I'm not going to lie I've had 05's through 2011 , and these new gens 2015 up gas jobs feel alot sluggish compared to the older models.... the dealer didnt notice your truck basically falling on its face ?

13 minutes ago, WhiTeOuT16HD said:

Gotchya, I was looking at the intake prior with the box that matches the hood, I'm not going to lie I've had 05's through 2011 , and these new gens 2015 up gas jobs feel alot sluggish compared to the older models.... the dealer didnt notice your truck basically falling on its face ?

No - They only drove on 35 mph roads - also I had 2002 6.0 ran great - 2004 6.0 ran great - 2004 8.1 ran - 2005 5.3 ho ran great - 07 6.0 ran great - 2016 6.0 express dually 16' box van ran great - this thing runs like a sick pig 

The voltmeter is an indicator of the charging system output, rather than the battery voltage.

The charge system is not a simple voltage regulator like what was used in the past.  It is managed by the BCM.

From the Body Builder manuals:

Charging System Operation
The purpose of the charging system is to maintain the charge and vehicle loads. There are 6 modes of operation and they include:
• Battery Sulfation Mode
• Charge Mode
• Fuel Economy Mode
• Headlamp Mode
• Start Up Mode
• Voltage Reduction Mode
The engine control module (ECM) controls the generator through the generator turn ON signal circuit.
The ECM monitors the generator performance though the generator field duty cycle signal circuit. The signal is a pulse width modulation (PWM) signal of 128 Hz with a duty cycle of 0–100 percent. Normal duty cycle is between 5–95 percent. Between 0–5 percent and 95– 100 percent are for diagnostic purposes. The following table shows the commanded duty cycle and output voltage of the generator:
Commanded Duty Cycle .......Generator Output Voltage
.....................10%................................ 11 V
......................20%............................... 11.56 V
......................30%............................... 12.12 V
......................40%............................... 12.68 V
......................50%............................... 13.25 V
......................70%................................14.37 V
......................80%................................14.94 V
......................90% ...............................15.5 V
The generator provides a feedback signal of the generator voltage output through the generator field duty cycle signal circuit to the ECM. This information is sent to the body control module (BCM). The signal is PWM signal of 128 Hz with a duty cycle of 0– 100 percent. Normal duty cycle is between 5– 99 percent. Between 0–5 percent and 100 percent are for diagnostic purposes.

Battery Sulfation Mode
The BCM will enter this mode when the interpreted generator output voltage is less than 13.2 V for 45 minutes. When this condition exists the BCM will enter Charge Mode for 2–3 minutes. The BCM will then determine which mode to enter depending on voltage requirements.

Charge Mode
The BCM will enter Charge Mode when ever one of the following conditions are met.
• The wipers are ON for more than 3 seconds.
• GMLAN (Climate Control Voltage Boost Mode Request) is true, as sensed by the HVAC control head. High speed cooling fan, rear defogger and HVAC high speed blower operation can cause the BCM to enter the Charge Mode.
• The estimated battery temperature is less than 0° C (32°F).
• Battery State of Charge is less than 80 percent.
• Vehicle speed is greater than 145 km/h (90 mph)
• Current sensor fault exists.
• System voltage was determined to be below 12.56 V

When any one of these conditions is met, the system will set targeted generator output voltage to a charging voltage between 13.9–15.5 V, depending on the battery state of charge and estimated battery temperature.

Fuel Economy Mode
The BCM will enter Fuel Economy Mode when the estimated battery temperature is at least 0°C (32°F) but less than or equal to 80°C (176°F), the calculated battery current is less than 15 amperes and greater than −8 amperes, and the battery state-of-charge is greater than or equal to 80 percent. Its targeted
generator output voltage is the open circuit voltage of the battery and can be between 12.5–13.1 V. The BCM will exit this mode and enter Charge Mode when any of the conditions described above are present.

Headlamp Mode
The BCM will enter Headlamp Mode when ever the headlamps are ON (high or low beams). Voltage will be regulated between 13.9–14.5 V.

Start Up Mode
When the engine is started the BCM sets a targeted generator output voltage of 14.5 V for 30 seconds.

Voltage Reduction Mode
The BCM will enter Voltage Reduction Mode when the calculated ambient air temperature is above 0°C (32° F). The calculated battery current is less than 1 ampere and greater than −7 amperes, and the generator field duty cycle is less than 99 percent. Its targeted generator output voltage is 12.9 V. The BCM will exit this mode once the criteria are met for Charge Mode.

And a blurb about the panel meter:

Instrument Panel Cluster Operation
Charge Indicator Operation
The instrument panel cluster illuminates the charge indicator and displays a warning message in the driver
information center if equipped, when the one or more of the following occurs:
• The engine control module (ECM) detects that the generator output is less than 11 V or greater than 16 V. The instrument panel cluster receives a GMLAN message from the ECM requesting illumination.
• The instrument panel cluster determines that the system voltage is less than 11 V or greater than 16 V for more than 30 seconds. The instrument panel cluster receives a GMLAN message from the body control module (BCM) indicating there is a system voltage range concern.
• The instrument panel cluster performs the displays test at the start of each ignition cycle. The indicator illuminates for approximately 3 seconds.  

Edited by redwngr
  • Like 1

No - They only drove on 35 mph roads - also I had 2002 6.0 ran great - 2004 6.0 ran great - 2004 8.1 ran - 2005 5.3 ho ran great - 07 6.0 ran great - 2016 6.0 express dually 16' box van ran great - this thing runs like a sick pig 
I agree these newer ones run alot lighter. And the steering sucks. I always ask the dealer when truck goes in for service if they have a updated map or any updates my 08 they always had updates and it kept getting better and better

Just now, WhiTeOuT16HD said:

I agree these newer ones run alot lighter. And the steering sucks. I always ask the dealer when truck goes in for service if they have a updated map or any updates my 08 they always had updates and it kept getting better and better

When put your foot to the floor you hear it thru the engine compartment   like a old worn  old 350 with quadrajunk on it from the 1970's bogging out - with both intakes but only after that volt issue - sorry to repeat myself - also dont waste your money with a diablo 8245 tuner all it did was get worse gas mileage on every tune i did even with  mpg tune 

When put your foot to the floor you hear it thru the engine compartment   like a old worn  old 350 with quadrajunk on it from the 1970's bogging out - with both intakes but only after that volt issue - sorry to repeat myself - also dont waste your money with a diablo 8245 tuner all it did was get worse gas mileage on every tune i did even with  mpg tune 
All I did was put a k&n intake in bc I didnt the 17 duramax hood on my truck as well with duct work, had a jet mas flow air sensor in the truck I usually get bored put the stocker back in I notice a tiny difference with the jet mass flow air sensor ... but when the warranty is up I'm going to have black bear do the tune on it for sure. It's all good man I can definitely understand the frustration when you keep dumping money to try and correct an issue and it stays the same or gets worse.... you have 1 or 2 batteries in that truck and I'm sure they have the high output alternator In you truck as well, hey what gearing do you have in the truck

1 hour ago, TOTAL1 said:

Quadrajunk, quadrajunk?  I love me some spread-bores! Well maybe I love the Edelbrock replacement 750 cfm much more than the original and a rebuilt OEM quadrajet  on my 71 Chevelle SS.

Edited by garagerog

On 11/25/2018 at 11:39 AM, WhiTeOuT16HD said:

All I did was put a k&n intake in bc I didnt the 17 duramax hood on my truck as well with duct work, had a jet mas flow air sensor in the truck I usually get bored put the stocker back in I notice a tiny difference with the jet mass flow air sensor ... but when the warranty is up I'm going to have black bear do the tune on it for sure. It's all good man I can definitely understand the frustration when you keep dumping money to try and correct an issue and it stays the same or gets worse.... you have 1 or 2 batteries in that truck and I'm sure they have the high output alternator In you truck as well, hey what gearing do you have in the truck

Sorry I did not get back to you am  sick flu bad -  I even replaced  mafs then I replaced oem throddle body to jet throddle body  - I just cant see where I took away from performance but evident I guess  & a whole hell of alot of money I wasted  - Yes   2 batteries , snowplow prep package - 410 gear  -